Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Why don't politicians get assaulted?
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Democratic process and all that but I’ve wondered for years why there are less “Prescott moments” and more “smug moments”.

There’s enough folk close enough, never happens.

Shame.

Edit: Eric Joyce excluded.

Northwind

We had a pretty good go at turning Malcolm Rifkind’s car upside down when he visited my school. He took it quite well, considering, went up in my estimation.

binners

Because They don’t interact with any person who hasn’t been vetted by a team of spin doctors, and works for a Westminster think tank, so to all intents and purposes is a robot.

I’d personally like to kidnap George Osbourne and keep him tied to a piss-sodden mattress, wearing tracky bottoms and a wife beater, in a high rise in Stockport , and force feed him pot noodles and sausage rolls, all washed down with copious pints of Stella, while pinning his eyes open, Clockwork Orange style, watching Homes Under the Hammer, and Cash in the Attic, 24/7, before going to a job centre and explaining how he’s overqualified for the zero hours contract in pound land he’s been offered.

And after all that, I’d kick the living ****ing **** out of him, obviously 😀

Would you waste good Greggs sausage rolls on him or just shite from Tescos?

binners

Gregg’s? Pfft. In his dreams! Tesco? No. Worse even than that…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Because they are protected by heavy security and rarely go to places or meet people who may be potential threats. Oh, and there are few people with the guts or weapons to do the nation a favour.

mt
    Free Member

Because we live in a pretty tolerant country that has the rule of law. That’s what protects them from armchair cowards like you Binners :D. Stockport is far to good for you an them high rises are palaces.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh, and there are few people with the guts or weapons to do the nation a favour.

Or far too many who know that violence isn’t the solution, combined with the fact that the vast majority of the population do nothing more than moan on social media and then forget to actually vote.

nickjb
    Free Member

Tony Blair regularly gets arrested for war crimes: http://www.arrestblair.org/war-crimes-reports

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s interesting isn’t it that since it’s become socially unacceptable (and rightly so) to marginalise and pillory groups based on variables like sexual orientation, race, religion etc, it has become far more common to marginalise groups on other common variables such as profession (MPs and bankers) or class.

Perhaps it’s the Neanderthal/herd instinct that needs to be satisfied in order for some people to feel more secure about themselves?

mt
    Free Member

Wow gt72, that’s far to sensible.

loddrik
    Free Member

The Ukrainian parliament always had some cracking free for all barnies.

dannyh
    Free Member

Any excuse to see this beauty again……

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V1oSfHybz9o[/video]

Rorschach
    Free Member

They do if they knock on my door…………

klumpy
    Free Member

In all seriousness (sorry) assaulting a politician would be undemocratic, it would be an attempt to affect someone’s participation using the threat of violence.

footflaps

I’d personally like to kidnap George Osbourne and keep him tied to a piss-sodden mattress, wearing tracky bottoms and a wife beater, in a high rise in Stockport , and force feed him pot noodles and sausage rolls, all washed down with copious pints of Stella, while pinning his eyes open, Clockwork Orange style, watching Homes Under the Hammer, and Cash in the Attic, 24/7, before going to a job centre and explaining how he’s overqualified for the zero hours contract in pound land he’s been offered.

And after all that, I’d kick the living ****ing **** out of him, obviously

I’m in 🙂

mogrim

In all seriousness (sorry) assaulting a politician would be undemocratic, it would be an attempt to affect someone’s participation using the threat of violence.

FTFY. But +1 anyway, I’m glad that in the UK (and since the Troubles ended) people don’t resort to violence to sort out political problems.

Rubber_Buccaneer

armchair cowards like you Binners 😀

I don’t think Binners is an armchair coward, I believe he is the real thing.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

That nice Mr Farage got threatened a bit in Scotchland, didn’t he. Though I believe he’d perhaps gone off-piste.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think that a lot of it has to do with the people they surround themselves with, all carefully vetted. Remember when Harriet Harman decided to take a walk around her constituency and wore a stab-vest?

They genuinely have no idea how 99% of us live. Even the politicians who claim to represent the average UK worker have next to no idea.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Because whoever is in power as a result of an election, they are vastly better than the lot you’d get if power changed hands through violence.

Can you remember the last time a British politician refused to stand aside for someone who had beaten him in an election?

We are very, very lucky.

🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I would hate to see any politician subject to violence and intimidation – sprayed with the contents of a colostomy bag however is different altogether.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I would hate to see any politician subject to violence and intimidation – sprayed with the contents of a colostomy bag however is different altogether.

And then after we’ve done the politicians, we can do the Muslims because of course, every Muslim is just like the ones we see on TV advocating beheading of the infidel.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Can you remember the last time a British politician refused to stand aside for someone who had beaten him in an election?

Gerry Malone in Winchester, 1997 🙂

binners

I don’t think Binners is an armchair coward, I believe he is the real thing.

RIGHT! OUTSIDE NOW!!!!!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

And then after we’ve done the politicians, we can do the Muslims because of course, every Muslim is just like the ones we see on TV advocating beheading of the infidel.

Alright, Dennis Skinner gets a pass.

ransos
    Free Member

Or far too many who know that violence isn’t the solution, combined with the fact that the vast majority of the population do nothing more than moan on social media and then forget to actually vote.

Under FPTP, very few people’s votes make any difference to the outcome of a general election, and you can barely insert a rizla between the main parties’ political objectives.

Compare and contrast with the Scottish referendum: a real, genuine choice in which every vote counted. Result = 85% turnout.

z1ppy

Tony Blair was on the plane my brother was working the other day.. he had 5 body guards, 1 staying in 1st class with him, but none of them below Inspector level.
    Great use of our taxes that, let alone who get to inspector level (£45-50K) and then ‘wants’ to be a body guard.

EDIT: He was met on the runway, and whisked away, no queues for Tony.

konabunny
    Free Member

Because they are protected by heavy security and rarely go to places or meet people who may be potential threats

This is rubbish. A few of the top ministers have protection, but the rest of them are wandering around just like everyone else.

konabunny
    Free Member

it has become far more common to marginalise groups on other common variables such as profession (MPs and bankers) or class.

You can’t marginalize the economic and political elite, you numpty.

footflaps
    geetee1972
    Free Member

You can’t marginalize the economic and political elite, you numpty.

Of course you can you numpty but that’s not the point. The point is it’s hypocrisy.

slowoldman

I think “assault by mockery” is a good approach wrt politicians. Sadly there isn’t nearly enough of it.

konabunny
    Free Member

Of course you can you numpty but that’s not the point. The point is it’s hypocrisy.

Give me an example of the elite being marginalized.

It would only be hypocrisy if there weren’t a PRETTY IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE between disliking black people and disliking MPs.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“Prescott moments”

Presumably by that you mean “innefectively dabbing someone with a punch so girly it wouldn’t disturb a rabbit”?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Wasn’t there some yoof from some sink estate a while ago pointing his fingers at Cameron in some kind of pistol fashion when he did a walkabout? Was very surprised said yoof didn’t suddenly have some tell tale red dot appearing on his forehead as a reminder not to even think about it.

Sounds like politicians do pretty well assualting each other in the Commons bars – just let them get on with it after a few tax-payer fuunded bottles of the good stuff…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Why don't politicians get assaulted?’ is closed to new replies.