Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • why does my laptop hate vimeo?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

happens with youtube too, but much less.

most vimeo videos i watch don’t run smooth – quite often its just 1 frame per second i get. after a while sometimes it goes smooth, and sometimes its fine from the start.

computer is about 7 months old, windows 7 starter (its a netbook), very little memory used (8 albums, quite a few photos, but thats about it). its used heavily for work. internet is very good (in terms of speed and reliability), no viruses, and as i said, youtube tends to work a lot better.

its rather frustrating, as i watch videos for work quite often.

oh, and when i place my cursor over the video, it diappears, and quite often takes ages to pause etc…

sorry, long post nearly finished… i know i probably need to get a more powerful computer, but i can’t afford to. i’m guessing thats the main reason though?

highclimber
    Free Member

its probably becuase its only a net book and has quite a slow processor compared to larger laptops. mine does it too and though it was the interent but soon realised it was the computer. try reducing the frame rate of the video (you can do this on youtube on the video window, not sure about vimeo though)

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

ah 🙁

thanks, thought it might be something to do with that…

andytherocketeer

not necessarily CPU. I get stuttery vimeo on an AMD dual core but can see the cpu sitting at 70% with the clock speed still on its lowest (cool-n-quiet) setting, and that’s with the complete video fully cached!

if i use a downloader tool to get the “native” highest HD res video and play it locally through VLC, it ticks over at maybe 20% cpu load, and runs completely smoothly in HD fullscreen.

imho, it’s the vimeo flash codec in combination with flashplayer itself that’s a bit flaky (especially the linux version), that not only uses a lot of CPU, but also has some flaky caching or disk access interrupts or something.

youtube is always fine. only vimeo that does it.

Lucas
    Free Member

make sure you don’t have battery saving turned on and then turn off HD in Vimeo. Both of these are need to for it to play properly on my Samsung NC10

Cougar

Isn’t Vimeo Flash-powered? Make sure you’re using the latest version. Regular viewers will be doing this already of course, for the Cougar is subtle and quick to anger.

What netbook is it, and what CPU?

Consider dropping a 2Gb SODIMM in it; I’d suggest that this is an essential upgrade for all Netbooks, and will set you back about twenty sovs.

cinnamon_girl

I struggle to watch Vimeos on my PC, in fact I’ve given up. 🙁

C_G
    rubbish with technology

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘why does my laptop hate vimeo?’ is closed to new replies.