Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • why does Motorcycle CBT certificate only last 2 yrs ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

I’m obviously missing something but for people who only want to ride a max of 125 cc why do they have to retake the cbt or do another costly test within 2 yrs? surely if you’re given a licence to ride up to 125 after initially completing the cbt then you’re deemed safe enough to ride one and after 2 yrs you’ll be a better rider with more experience if anything . OK they could take the test then not ride at all but anyone could do this with the direct access system as well. what’s the logic behind this enforcement ?

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

The idea is that all you get with CBT is the very basic standard needed to ride safely, by limiting it to two years, it encourages further training which improves and builds upon these basic skills to make you a safer rider.

In theory.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You used to be able to ride a 125 indefinitely on L-plates. The changes are all tied up with making it more hassle to ride a bike which has successfully reduced the number of young riders, bringing down road deaths.

allthegear
    Free Member

Re-testing is a good idea in that people start to do stupid things over time and need to be corrected. Might be a better question to ask why the ability to drive a car is given for lifetime – would be much better to have to re-test every 10 years (at most)

Rachel

5thElefant
    Free Member

You should also have to resit you maths o-level and cycling proficiency test every year too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d say there should be some sort of “idiot/arsehole” test that folk should sit periodically, with euthanasia for those failing.

-m-
    Free Member

CBT isn’t really a licence. It’s a certificate to say that you’ve completed some basic training that entitles you to learn to ride on the road. You have 2 years to take your test and get a licence.

The CBT covers very little, other than allowing you to demonstrate that you’re capable of not falling off 🙂

If anything I imagine that the CBT is likely to get more difficult (could be that it will only be issued after a theory test, hazard perception etc) sometime soon – although this is just my idle speculation…

br
    Free Member

You used to be able to ride a 125 indefinitely on L-plates.

Over 25 years ago…, tbh I thought they brought the 2 year limit in when they dropped the limit from 250’s. At the time I’m sure it impacted a lot of people who just rode around on C90’s and the like.

simon_g

As said, CBT isn’t a licence – it’s just the minimum requirement for riding as a learner because you don’t have the option of practicing under the supervision of a licenced driver as you do with a car.. This is only ever intended to be a temporary state until you take (and hopefully pass) your theory and practical tests. You can do it on a 125 and be limited to 33bhp for 2 years, or a 500+ and ride anything straight away.

Personally I’d prefer the CBT validity to be 6 months to prevent so many people (including the thousands of scooterists in London) regarding it as some kind of licence.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Compulsory
    Basic
    TRAINING.

Training is all it is. That’s why. Just do a day of lessons, with your test in the afternoon. On your own bike it won’t be expensive. You get to ditch the L plates, your insurance comes down and you can carry passengers.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I used to be a motor cycle instructor. I used to despair at the people who would come back every two years to retaken it. Either take the bloody test or get the bus. Seeing some of the people who kept coming back, two years is far too long.

How about,you book a test and the cbt lasts until the test date (limited to 6 months away). If you fail you test but only just, the examiner could extend your cbt by 6 months.

totalshell

25 yrs ago? no way is it that long ago sure i rode forever on a 125 before taking my test on a 250 i think.. hang on that was about 25 -27 yrs ago so maybe i snuck in dont think so though.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s got to be partly to do with reducing the numbers of greasy spotty little teenage cockmonkeys slothing around the country on all manner of wasplike machinery delivering skunk and methodrone to each other..

Northwind

What annoys me is dispatchers/pizza boys on CBT- if you’re riding that much, with time constraints on you too, it’s a pitiful amount of training… Seems to me professional riders should have to do the test. (never been to London without seeing at least one l-plated courier bouncing along the road for no good reason)

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Peter How much did it cost to do your CBT when you did it on you own bike?

Four years ago, when I asked my insurance company if I could have a cover-note to do my CBT on my own bike (a 20yr old Honda CG125 I had bought off e-bay for £400) they quoted me £350 just for the period of the CBT.

How on earth could it be cheaper to use your own bike under these conditions?

Also, how is someone without a CBT meant to transport their own bike to the training venue when they shouldn’t be on the road in the first place? Borrow a van? Hire a trailer? Way too much hassle.

As the man says, play the bloody money and use the instructors bikes.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Peter, not sure if I’m misunderstanding your post, but a CBT pass doesn’t allow you to remove L plates, carry passengers or ride on motorways. When teaching CBT it can be a little disheartening when you realise the 16 year olds are going to ignore everything you say once they’ve got their bit of paper. Atleast most DAS students are very keen to learn to ride safely.

Northwind

Peter was suggesting to do the test rather than just CBT.

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Ah, my bad! Sorry Peter! Been a long day…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘why does Motorcycle CBT certificate only last 2 yrs ?’ is closed to new replies.