Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Why does everyone think kona are crap?
  • tails
    Free Member

My kona failed to sell on the bay, although I was offered £150, I was looking for a little more.

Anyway why have kona gone from the market leaders in the nineties to a brand no one wants, as a swear it's just another Taiwanese alu frame like a santa cruz, spesh, yeti even?

andrewh
    Free Member

Never had one but I've ridden a few, Pahoehoe, Kula, MuniMuler, Lavadome, Caldera, King, HeiHei etc.

They are all rather heavy (relative to competition in the case of HeiHei and Kula) and farily expensive for the spec.

However, there is just something about them, they just feel 'right' when i sit on them, don't know why.

If yours is classic steel one (Explosiv ideally but maybe Cindercone) I'll beat the £150 for it (subject to correct size etc)

bassspine
    Free Member

I typed 'heavy and expensive for the spec' but didn't hit send.
    They have a reputation for being bombproof though.

coastkid
    Free Member

i sold a kona cowan hardtail last year on flea bay and could of sold a dozon…just bought a steel hardtail humu humu what u callit steel hardtail thingy that had no offers for 5 days…wanted one of them for a while for a progect and it had a cheap buy it now so again happy to have a kona…taiwanese welders are some of the best in the bike industry so where there made dosnt matter..guess its marketing/magazine hype that makes people buy certain brands, kona have made some great bikes…

tails
    Free Member

No its a Kona Cowan, mint though I only have the vertical dropouts not the aftermarket singlespeed ones.

I once sold a well used lavadome for £15 😳

rs
    Free Member

I guess its not worth it, what year, model, etc?

oldgit
    Free Member

Konas are great, love Kulas and still want an old orange/cream King Kikapu.

juan
    Free Member

Well most of people talk to there asses and think that if it comes from halfraud it's poo.
    Kona are sold by halfraud true, but it doesn't makes them crap. As andrewh mention they are different. You will always be comfy on a Kona. I have on hoss and let face it, it is the most inspiring hardtail I got to rode.
    MTB is now the "middle age IT crowd " sport. You have it featured in the shopping pages of stuff magazine. Most people seems to think you need a 5" FS to ride around the MM course, and that I am and above average rider where in fact I am average less I can just go down stuff not even very quickly. That tells you a lot about the sport. It's not any more about riding your bike in the middle of nowhere it's all about kit and niche.
    You need a bike for pootling around the local wood, one bike for mincing the red at the trail centre, one bike for the winter, one for the casual day in the peak and one for lift assisted holidays in France.
    See now people seems to think you need a fully build van the last update in terms of kit and a carbon exotica bike.

And so and so

RaNt OvEr

singlecrack
    Free Member

what juan said
    nothing wrong with Kona I had new kona aa in 95 and only just stopped riding it this year

tails
    Free Member

Wow juan that was a funny rant 5 stars!!

binners

I bloody loved my old Cinder Cone. Its still performing stirling service as a singlespeed

thepodge
    Free Member

Binners I could have written exactly the same thing, old school konas are ace
    Their newer stuff seems to have lost some of its charm, oddly around a similar time they lost joe murray

HTTP404
    Free Member

For me – it's not what juan said.
    Halfords also sell Boardman bikes and these are just about the best bang-per-buck you'll get.
    Kona offer a downgraded specification on their bikes and hope the brand name sells the bike. And to some – it does.
    In the 90s when Kona was cool they offered the innovative Joe Murray frame with top-notch components. In a way they're a victim of their own success and have lost their way a little. Which proves a big brand just can't think small.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Was trying to sell a Kona myself recently – didn't sell. (2008 or 9 Coilair) Someone was offering 500 for it, was bought for 11 or 1200 six months before. Other than that i was out on my king kikapu, or xc gate as it has been referred to on here, tonight and it was a blast.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Had my king kikapu 2002 stolen, replaced it since but miss it still, very involving ride. have a kona steel cinder cone…which is (still) nice!

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

nothing wrong with kona. they flooded the marked a few years back and maybe de-valued the brand quite a bit. but they make a dam good frame. sure spec isnt great but if the money is in the frame the other things can be upgraded later on. still love to ride my old stinky its battered but im beating guys on £10k rigs!

akira

Loved my old steel Cindercone with splatter paint job and loving my Five-O with a chunky little build on it.
    They are doing some great stuff with the magic link, I think some shonky magazine recently gave the Cadabra or Abra Cadabra a pretty good right up.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My first full sus was a 2004 Kona Dawg and I really regret selling it. I haven't yet found any bike frame that gives me the same confidence or (and therefore) enjoyment.
    I think they went thru a period of being slated by the mags for just churning out the same bike each year, just in a different colour scheme and slight component changed.

juiced
    Free Member

what's wrong with churning out the same bike each year with slightly different spec if it performs well. Show's they got it right first time.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Hoss – best bike I've ever owned
    Jake the Snake – Just ordered one
    King Kahuna – Lusting after one

pitduck
    Free Member

i`ve got a hoss and love it 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

I don't think kona are crap, quite the contrary, seems a lot of ladz round here have very nice kona bikes I'd like to have a go on, unfortunately, they just ride 'em round the car park being "cool". I'm sure they are very capable bikes.

Konas and carreras are what are available in halfords "off the peg", that's what people buy. Can't expect everyone to walk in and be an STW genius!

naokfreek
    Free Member

Just rebuilt my pahoehoe ltd ed frame for courier duties, man oh man…i'd forgotten how sweet that frame is, so light (easton) snappy as ****, just a joy to ride!! Really really really good, having a ball!!

Not shit, just becoming less good.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I like Juans rant. I really do think thats the caae with MTB riding these days. But as for it being the death of Kona then I think its a bit off the mark. Its just like HTTP404 pointed out. Konas used to have the best geometry and were made from easton alloy 853 etc. The parts fitted were good and the price not too bad. Its no suprise that the older steel and alloy hardtails fetch a premium when sold on ebay and the newer ones fetch a lot less when you sell the frames. A bit like Jaguar cars the old ones had class and were innovative. The new ones are basically a Ford Mondeo both in build and spec and way more expensive for nothing more than a badge. I think Konas fall into the same vain. You might as well buy a Boardman than a Kona now. Better price and spec and the Konas have less kudos

naokfreek
    Free Member

+1 seth….tis the case i reckon..

slimtubing
    Free Member

I love my Coiler. That is all.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They might be brilliant bikes (and mine was), but who, off here, shops at Halfords for a new bike?.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Because they're brainwashed by the media. Konas didn't get heavier, everything else got lighter with more fragile components that have become the "norm" and disposable.

zaskar
    Free Member

The French are right! 😉

I always wanted a green Explosif frame in that steel package.

Don't rush a sale.

I thought my Trek road bike was not going to sell but it did-you have to be patient in this market too.

Northwind

"They might be brilliant bikes (and mine was), but who, off here, shops at Halfords for a new bike?."

I would. The Boardman and Voodoo ranges and some of the Carreras are fantastic and my local branch is pretty good overall. Wouldn't buy any of their Konas though since they're far too expensive for what you get 😉

devs
    Free Member

Similar to B.A.nana my 1st full sus was a 2006 Dawg Primo. I replaced it with a Nomad which does everything just as well or better but for a far higher price. I still have that Dawg, albeit just a frame in my garage at the moment. I love it too much to get rid, the paltry sum i'd get for it would insult the times we had together and I'm sure I'd want it back at some stage. It's my backup FS now. I would definitely buy another Kona.

alpin
    Free Member

juan – Member

Well most of people talk to there asses and think that if it comes from halfraud it's poo.
    Kona are sold by halfraud true, but it doesn't makes them crap. As andrewh mention they are different. You will always be comfy on a Kona. I have on hoss and let face it, it is the most inspiring hardtail I got to rode.
    MTB is now the "middle age IT crowd " sport. You have it featured in the shopping pages of stuff magazine. Most people seems to think you need a 5" FS to ride around the MM course, and that I am and above average rider where in fact I am average less I can just go down stuff not even very quickly. That tells you a lot about the sport. It's not any more about riding your bike in the middle of nowhere it's all about kit and niche.
    You need a bike for pootling around the local wood, one bike for mincing the red at the trail centre, one bike for the winter, one for the casual day in the peak and one for lift assisted holidays in France.
    See now people seems to think you need a fully build van the last update in terms of kit and a carbon exotica bike.

And so and so

wow, juan. respect. 😀

….. but watch your third person 's'

zaskar
    Free Member

Got my Boardman off Halfrauds but they let me do the pdi thank god.
    Better than my alu road bike

BearBack
    Free Member

Seems like Kona are the Rover of the bike world to me.

Rover 200, 25, MGZR, Facelift #1, Streetwise, Facelift #2, MG3SW

Essentially the same thing over 15 years of history…

So, Kona went to the Magic Link to give their bikes extra versatility… Rover threw some plastic, roof bars and higher ride height at the 25 to make us think it was more versatile…

I guess you'd struggle to sell a rover on ebay too – the similarities are almost spooky 😉

[/jest]

walleater

I loved my Pahoaoeohoeoaoeohoeoaohoe:

Coyote
    Free Member

I had an old Stinky Six which I sold to fund something that didn't quite work out. That bike was absolutely brilliant, bit of a push uphill sometimes but well worth it. Had a few trips over to Whistler and tried quite a few rentals but always come back to the Stinkys. As has been said above, it's difficult to put your finger on it but they just feel "right".

Problem is, to me, is in the spec when bought new, off the peg so to speak. They do seem to compromise on cheaper components than some other brands. However, I'm now in the process of combining 2 bikes into one and when I've sold the surplus I'll be in the market for another Kona. I love 'em.

andywarner
    Free Member

I've still got my 97 steel caldera. bought the frame back in 97 and swapped all the bits off another bike and it'still going strong. Upgraded/dated to a P7 2 years ago but I still take it for a blast round Dalby now and then and it still feels great, although nowhere near as cpable as the P7 (63mm of travel up front only just takes a bit of the sting out compared with 140mm!). I've thought about selling it a few times but don't suppose I'd get anywhere near what it's worth to me. Plus the graphics on th frame are fooking cool!

ahwiles
    Free Member

kona are still flogging the dead-horse that is the faux-bar, which was considered a cheapskate money-saving giant-leap-backwards design about 15 years ago.

i'd be very happy with a kona coiler for my 'dodging-trees-in-wharncliffe-and-the-alps' bike if only they'd build it properly*.

(* with a chainstay pivot; they wouldn't even have to pay any royalties to speccy – cos Europe is outside the US)

i've ridden a few faux-bar konas, and the brake jack is horrific.

(i can get a Carrera Banshee with a chainstay pivot for £600, ffs)

trail_rat
    Free Member

its about now i post a picture of my team mates bike – a very good reason for why ill never buy another kona ….

pre paligap they were ace – my mates stinky got replaced when his chainstay snapped due to them just "welding" on a disk mount without doing any calcs

My mates kula supreme did 2 races – rode over some roots and TT/DT welds gave up. That doesnt nark me as much as paligap were super super unhelpful

I toured on a kona jake – it was an awesome off the peg bike for that and light off road racing.

petefromearth

when I've been looking for new off-the-peg bikes for friends, which is usually the ~£600 hardtail end of the market, Kona are always terrible value for money compared to the competition, and below average spec/frame

the Jake and some of their town bikes (Dew etc) do look cool, but again they are pricier than the competition

i've heard many stories of frames snapping. i know they've made some great frames in the past, but personally i wouldn't consider buying a new Kona at all

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Why does everyone think kona are crap?’ is closed to new replies.