Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Why do XC riders…
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

…Not like peaks on their helmets? (I realise this sounds like the start of a joke…)

Always thought it was a bit weird. Is there any reason behind it? Like, they ride so fast the sun doesn’t go on their eyes or summink?

tomhoward

Airodynamiks innit 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Can we re-phrase the question, why does any helmet have a peak? Always thought it a bit weird, do people never crash and hit them?

falkirk-mark

Keeps the sun out yer eyes

molgrips
    Free Member

Helps keep both rain and sun out.

mrblobby
    Free Member

MTB helmets didn’t have peaks back in the day. Think it’s mostly aesthetics to make helmets look a little less silly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

on a full facer with a peak the size of a TLD peak i can buy it ….

most XC helmets they are cosmetic and do eff all .

piemonster

XC boys and girls tend to ride in a head down arse up position.

I alway found the peak just reduced visibility.

Muke
    Free Member

Edit: Dohh too slow What he said ^^^^

anagallis_arvensis

If you ride a road bike, peaks get in the way, if you only have one helemt for both it wont have a peak. Peaks are kind of pointles anyway.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

That makes sense PM.

I’m surprised people think they don’t do anything. As a specs wearer they do keep the rain out to some extent and they do stop the sun peaking in.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mol, do you really find that? I admit I have only had one helmet with adjustable peak. Did neither for me and snapped off when I had my first crash. Didn’t notice it not being there either. All seem a bit pointless (sorry!)

Never noticed a peak do anything except get in the way of forward vision.

For sun/rain protection I find a traditional cycling cap more effective. You can pull the peak right down when needed and flip it up out of the way when not.

Downside is you like like a 90’s roadie.

molgrips
    Free Member

most XC helmets they are cosmetic and do eff all

Rubbish.

THM – yes, I do. If it’s lashing with rain the peak limits rain going in my eyes, if not the rest of my face. And in the sun, there’s always a gap at the top of my sunglasses when it tips my head forwards – the peak shades that.

I guess it’s down to riding position, face shape and shades design.

mrmo
    Free Member

I’m surprised people think they don’t do anything. As a specs wearer they do keep the rain out to some extent and they do stop the sun peaking in.

never found that, just look crap, do ef all, reduce visability on and off road.

molgrips
    Free Member

PS I don’t use one on the road because on the drops I’m so hunched over that it obscures the view. Although if it’s really minging weather I might.

klumpy
    Free Member

I went over the bars and landed on my chest and my lid’s peak, and not my face.

XC riders all have huge bulbous gallic noses, so in order to protect them the peaks would be so big they’d strain the rider’s neck muscles, so they don’t bother.

D0NK

Mol, do you really find that?

I do, took my peak off for road commute and CX and just got sick of the extra rain in my eyes, with peak and glasses ok, no peak rain got in over top of glasses, could get some bigger/better glasses I guess* but for now peak back on. Acts as a sun visor too but that’s less of a problem normally 😉

obviously long road ride in nice weather I remove the peak, better visibility

*just remembered I tried some full on safety glasses, still got more rain in my eyes sans peak.

29erKeith
    Free Member

MostlyBalanced might be along with pics in a bit which will explain why he doesn’t.

Face plant + Visor can = Chelsea smile. Ouch!

D0NK

For sun/rain protection I find a traditional cycling cap more effective.

just seen that, hmmm maybe worth a go.

samuri
    Free Member

Definitely found peaks on helmets useful for stopping rain, hail and snow. Glasses wearer here, maybe it’s more relevant there.

Nowadays I prefer to use a roadie cap and no peak but I’ve never had a problem with a cap or peak affecting visibility. I only need to look straight ahead of me, not scan the skies for bandits.

samuri
    Free Member

Next time it could be a samuri’s face!

IMG_0764 by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

D0NK

I only need to look straight ahead of me, not scan the skies for bandits

when on the drops with peak I have to crane my neck to see more than about 10′ infront of me, ok for short distances but will end up aching if I did that on longer rides, I assume that’s what others meant about visibility.

molgrips
    Free Member

A cap under my helmet would seriously inhibit ventilation I reckon.

sm
    Free Member

Peaks have the ‘cool’ factor, so we dont look like roadies 🙂

footflaps

Sunglasses keep the sun out of my eyes.

Never seen the point in a peak off road or on – they’re just cosmetic on all but DH helmets.

scaredypants

Next time it could be a samuri’s face!

Giant seagull attack ?

thomthumb
    Free Member

For sun/rain protection I find a traditional cycling cap more effective. You can pull the peak right down when needed and flip it up out of the way when not.

This.

samuri
    Free Member

when on the drops with peak I have to crane my neck to see more than about 10′ infront of me,

That’s all you need to see. The wheel in front or nothing at all. You have much to learn about road riding 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

does your bike resemble a shopping bike in position mol ?

all bar my 456 im pretty much flat backed and a peak means i have to raise my head to see infront.

oh and a cap actually helps your head keep cool by drawing the sweat away and stopping it running down your face….. even in hot weather i wear a cap or a buff over my head – the vents do very little to draw the sweat away.

D0NK

The wheel in front or nothing at all

there’s never a wheel infront of me, I’m just too fast billy no mates

they’re just cosmetic on all but DH helmets.

¿por qué?

aracer
    Free Member

And in the sun, there’s always a gap at the top of my sunglasses when it tips my head forwards – the peak shades that.

I guess it’s down to riding position, face shape and shades design.

Well if you will insist on wearing trendy non-functional sunnys.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can pull the peak right down when needed and flip it up out of the way when not.

The peak on my Xen flips up and down.

Well if you will insist on wearing trendy non-functional sunnys.

Half Jackets on the MTB, Jawbones on the road bike, M-frames before that. They don’t stay exactly up against my eyebrows all the time, and if they did they’d get covered in sweat even worse than they do.

does your bike resemble a shopping bike in position mol ?

My bikes vary from a pretty good tuck on the roadie drops to reasonably upright on the Patriot, no shopping bikes tho 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

peaks are really handy.

they keep the rain off your glasses.

and they keep the sun off your sunglasses, which isn’t as daft as it sounds*.

but if your saddle is miles above your saddle, they can make it a little tricky to see where your going – so roadies and xc racers (and tall people who don’t have a 29er yet) may not want a peak.

*this is sort of what i’m blathering about:

you may be wearing sunnies, but your eyes have adjusted, and the sun is the brightest, most visible object, shading the sun (from your glasses) would help.

(image shown is the best i could find in the few minutes available for a cheeky edit)

here’s another one:

(maybe cars should be fitted with peaks to keep the sun off the windscreen?)

piemonster

Peaks have the ‘cool’ factor, so we dont look like roadies

Genuinely funny irony, well done sir you made me laugh.

molgrips
    Free Member

If the sun is high up I get a lot of glare reflected off the inside of the glasses. With my M frames it was actually a bright reflection of my own face which made it very hard to see.

aracer
    Free Member

With my M frames it was actually a bright reflection of my own face

That must have been terribly off-putting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

are you a teacher ? i thought only my primary school teacher wore her glasses at that point on her nose. – i mean they must be a fair distance down to get that much reflection – are you pinochio ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Who me?

And no, to any of it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i struggle to see how you can get reflections off the inside of a set of mframes then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Why do XC riders…’ is closed to new replies.