• This topic has 95 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • why do they sling dog do bags?
  • GrahamS

better than getting poo all over your shoes trying to kick it off the path in the absence of suitable sticks…

Yeah it can be a right bugger trying to find sticks in the woods.

coffeeking
    Free Member

ChrisS – Member

I don't see what's wrong with using bio-degradable bags to lob the poo into the undergrowth, certainly better than getting poo all over your shoes trying to kick it off the path in the absence of suitable sticks…

Now theres a troll if ever I saw one!

Just an FYI for all on biodegradable plastic bags…

They are designed to start decaying within 18 months – and to have gone completely within three years. But they take far longer to decay if they are exposed to the cold, or water.

surfer
    Free Member

LMAO at Graham S. So true!

roach

Dogs are a **** dangerous nuisance, people shouldn't be allowed to keep them unless they live on a farm or something!

Without all the shite there's something in the news every week it seems when a child has had it's face ripped off by some **** mutt!

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's not the dogs that are the problem, it's the owners.

samuri
    Free Member

Here's what happens. Someone takes their dog out for a walk. They're good middle class people so they bring their doggies poo bags with them like they've been told to do. Ooh, simon is going for a poo.

Adopt a grimmaced expression, put bag over your hand, grab the poo (don't look at it though), fold the bag over and tie it up. Now look around for a bin. There aren't any! Well that's just ridiculous, don't they know these woods are popular with dog walkers!!?? Well i'll just hang it on this tree and take it back to the bin in the car park on the way back.

"Come on Simon, walkies!"

Carry on with the 400m walk thinking about all the things the the modern day person has to worry about..have we run out of garlic cloves? Is there any peso left? Tsk! I can see that girl's tummy, etc, etc.

On the way back, with all this running through the walkers head they've forgotten about the bag of dog poo and allow themselves a little shake of the head at the state of the world when they see it hanging from a tree and the selfish people who put it there.

"Come on Simon, veggie chum for tea!"

DrJ

Not sure it's just the owners, coffeeking. Do you fancy cycling past a pack of wild dogs?

coffeeking
    Free Member

There isn't any!

Tsk tsk aren't

samuri
    Free Member

I have no idea what you're talking about. 😉 I've edited that about 6 times now, I must have left my grammar in a poo bag somewhere.

roach

Bullshit – all dangerous dogs should be banned.

surfer
    Free Member

Quite probably however I have been attacked on many occasions by savage dogs, less frequently by snarling owners and whilst the core of the problem may lie with the owner its often not possible to have this debate whilst "Fido" is trying to disembowel you!

richc
    Free Member

Bullshit – all dangerous dogs should be banned.

WON'T SOMEONE THINK of the CHILDREN for gods SAKE!!!!!

Surely following that train of thought, shouldn't everything that's dangerous be banned.

😉

Just out of interest surfer, what injuries have you sustained when you have been attacked by these packs of savage dogs that are roaming the countryside?

coffeeking
    Free Member

roach – some breeds I agree are generally a bit too agressive to be on the trails/in public but general fido in the street is not the problem, it is their training that is at fault, regardless of how nice the owner is.

surfer – I agree that at teh time it's not helpful, but it's still the owners fault rather than the dog. It IT possible to train dogs not to go nuts and bark/bite at people, its possible to train them not to respond to fright with bark/bites. It's just that most people (and many trainers) dont know how (apparently, according to an eminent dog handler/trainer I know).

I personally have absolutely no love for dogs, but they do get the raw end of the poo stick.

DrJ

Most things that are as dangerous as dogs are already banned. Luckily. It's just a historical accident that the dirty, sharp-toothed beasts are allowed to persist. If you invented dogs tomorrow, they'd be banned immediately.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you invented dogs tomorrow, they'd be banned immediately.

Nonsense. And thank god the world still has some common sense in it.

richc
    Free Member

Really, surely more people are injured or killed by cars than dogs every year and they aren't banned are they?

Come to think about it, I am sure that if you could be arsed to look it up there would be hundreds of thousands of things that cause more injuries and deaths than dogs every year and they aren't banned either.

So apart from that little inaccuracy, your point is entirely valid and well thought out, well done.

surfer
    Free Member

packs of savage dogs that are roaming the countryside?

err not sure I said that did I?

But to respond to the thrust of your question and to avoid the drama queen melodrama!

I have been bitten on 5 occasions (IIRC) over the years whilst minding my own business running along public paths etc. Some have required stiches and of course booster Tetanus injections.
    The incidents that didnt require stiches still had puncture wounds and all involved destroyed clothing.
    Does this answer your question?

richc
    Free Member

Yes, and thats pretty shitty. If the dog is breaking the skin, then I hope you gave the owners a bollocking, and reported them as they don't deserve to own the dog.

DrJ

Not really. You said that dogs aren't the problem, owners are. My reply is simply that dogs without owners are not very desirable either.

DrJ

Really, surely more people are injured or killed by cars than dogs every year and they aren't banned are they?

True. And cars kill more people than guns, which explains why guns aren't banned either. Oh … hang on a minute …

richc
    Free Member

So we should BAN everything?

surfer
    Free Member

Yes, and thats pretty shitty. If the dog is breaking the skin, then I hope you gave the owners a bollocking, and reported them as they don't deserve to own the dog.

On occasion I have done better and on one occasion I gave the animal the kicking of its life as well as punching the owner. I am no shrinking violet and in my experience owners are not interested in the potential danger their animals pose. I have also reported a couple of dangerous dogs on a route I use regualrly including providing reg numbers of their car. I see the same owners with the same dangerous animals running off a lead.
    You are naive and I have a straightforward approach summarised as follows.
    If your do does not bother me, (and that includes running up to me in a friendly way, jumping etc as I am not interested in hurting friendly or boisterous dogs) then thats fine.
    However if your dog tries to bite or bares its teeth or runs at me in a way that indicates it may be aggresive I will have no qualms in kicking it in its teeth (if I can) if not I will defend myself in whatever way I need to. That may mean beating it with a stick/brick etc.
    If this offends then tough.

samuri
    Free Member

No, only things we don't like.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've been biking and walking for decades through farms, across moores and through villages. Never yet met a dog that actually bit me, or that would not run away if I turned and walked towards it. I'm sure if I did meet such a dog I'd also do anything to protect myself from it.

surfer
    Free Member

I've been biking and walking for decades through farms, across moores and through villages. Never yet met a dog that actually bit me, or that would not run away if I turned and walked towards it.

I am happy for you.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thanks.

richc
    Free Member

Surfer, sounds fair enough to me, and from a selfish viewpoint it's better that you do that to the dog and their owners rather than it attack a kid. Mind you I have to say, I have never experienced or seen any dog actually attacking anyone in years of riding/running/walking, neither has anyone I know, so to be attacked 5 times is very unlucky, so I can appreciate why you aren't keen on dogs.

I will admit I have had young dogs try and nip me in order to attempt to herd, however I have just yelled at them and they then run away, when they realize you don't want to play.

surfer
    Free Member

so to be attacked 5 times is very unlucky.

Maybe. I grew up in Liverpool and have been running for roughly 25 years. during those runs and not withstanding my own incidents I have been witness to quite a few others. Our long Sunday run would often go past farms with untethered dogs and the groups pace certainly picked up as we got near.
    There were often near misses when by sheer numbers we chased dogs off. They were often seen as comical given that there may be upwards of 10 runners however few ran past the farms alone.
    I suppose its one incident for every 5 years or roughly one every 1500 runs, I am suprised that you have never had an incident yourself or at least seen one!!
    Or maybe you are similar to many owners in seeing a savage dog attack on a passer by as "high spirits"?
    "herding" havent heard that one before, very good!

GrahamS

I think we have established that we should definitely ban dogs with guns from driving.

richc
    Free Member

No, I see a dog biting anyone (or even snapping at someone) as totally unacceptable. High spirits is total bullshit, and any owner who gives you that excuse deserves all the contempt you can give them, and the dog to be taken away from them.

Toddboy
    Free Member

"I think we have established that we should definitely ban dogs with guns from driving"

So what do we do with dogs that drive cars while in posession of guns, but are also smoking? Surely this is far more dangerous 😀

ChrisS
    Free Member

Sorry, hadn't realised this thread only concerned woods…. besides it's actually not that straight forward when the footpaths are lined with waist deep brambles. I've got better things to do with my time than traipse up and down the path hunting for sticks with two dogs in tow. What would you prefer, dog poo liberally spread around all of the undergrowth lining the path where it's been flicked using sticks or shoes? or bagged and lobbed well out of the way where it can be left to decompose harmlessly?

Don't know why I ever bother reading threads about dogs on this forum, of all the topics that get discussed this one seems to attract the most boreish and intolerant responses.

ChrisS
    Free Member

On occasion I have done better and on one occasion I gave the animal the kicking of its life as well as punching the owner.

🙄

DrJ

What would you prefer, dog poo liberally spread around all of the undergrowth lining the path where it's been flicked using sticks or shoes? or bagged and lobbed well out of the way where it can be left to decompose harmlessly?

Neither one, and it's your responsibility, as a dog owner, to find the solution.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I've got better things to do with my time than traipse up and down the path hunting for sticks with two dogs in tow.

we've got better things to do than moaning about the sh1t you feel it's socially acceptable to dump next to paths

IME
    the dog's IQ is higher than the owners

arguing with dog owners is pointless

their dogs "high spirits" is your trip to casualty

Finally; dogs should be banned from public parks, a lot of people don't like dogs, like them even less when the owner things it OK for them to run free and interfer with people trying to enjoy the space with their kids (and then usually scarper)

http://www.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/news/4627859.Warning_after_dog_attack_in_Redditch_park/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/8255265.stm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article834254.ece

oldgit
    Free Member

I actually find other things more offensive than poo in our woods, forsest and trails. Namely the car followed closely by the visitor centre and the associated car park.

antigee

What would you prefer, dog poo liberally spread around all of the undergrowth lining the path where it's been flicked using sticks or shoes? or bagged and lobbed well out of the way where it can be left to decompose harmlessly?

as DJ said neither – this does appear to be the attitude that many dog owners are adopting and is plain wrong

ChrisS
    Free Member

we've got better things to do than moaning about the sh1t you feel it's socially acceptable to dump next to paths

I feel that do I? You obviously know me well, funny I don't recognise your name……

IME
    the dog's IQ is higher than the owners

IME you are an intolerant arse, making sweeping generalisations from the safety of your keyboard.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Neither one, and it's your responsibility, as a dog owner, to find the solution.

I wonder whether, ecologically speaking, it's better decomposing slowly in biodegradable bags, well off the beaten track, in woods, or dumped in non-biodegradable bags in dustbins and thence on to fester in a council tip? I honestly don't know the answer.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘why do they sling dog do bags?’ is closed to new replies.