Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Why do runners, run in the road against traffic?
  • mrchrist

Cycling home tonight a guy was running towards me in the cycle lane against the flow of traffic.

Anybody do this or know why it’s done?

jam-bo

So you can see what’s about to run you down.

coogan
    Free Member

What the jammers said.

ricky1
    Free Member

So they can see idiots in time to dodge them

njee20
    Free Member

What you’re advised to do innit. Pedestrians/runners go against traffic.

scotroutes

Highway Code advises that pedestrians should walk against the flow of the traffic when there is no pavement. This allows them to see oncoming traffic.
    https://www.gov.uk/rules-pedestrians-1-to-35/general-guidance-1-to-6

Now then – why do runners run on the road and not the pavement even when there is one?

butcher

I have a mate who does it on the bike…

unknown
    Free Member

Tarmac is very slightly more forgiving than concrete pavements. I can feel the difference after a run, or at least I think I can.

rene59
    Free Member

Why do cyclists cycle on the road and not the cycle path even when there is one?

mrchrist

Pavement was empty. Why not run on the pavement and greatly reduce the risk of being run over?

mikey74
    Free Member

Now then – why do runners run on the road and not the pavement even when there is one?

As a runner (and a cyclist, obviously) I often wonder this. I know pedestrians can get a bit annoying but I quite like dodging around them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve noticed that, but maybe the same reason we avoid cycle lanes (full of bumbling idiots, dog poo and pushchairs)?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Pavements are often uneven with kerbs and stuff, not great for running on.

Duggan

Because that’s what you’re advised to do if walking or running on the road.

They may have been on the road because the path was uneven, dark, full of parked cars, slippy, wet, obscuring reversing cars coming out of drives or any of the above. Or maybe he/she had to step on to the road to avoid a pedestrian and simply hadn’t yet re-mounted the pavement?

Really, there could be a million reasons if you think about it for five minutes.

I wouldn’t run on roads as a matter of principle but sometimes it’s much easier and safer.

And by ‘runners’ you mean one guy you saw doing it today, presumably for the first time in your life, hence the post. Not really a pattern or a trend is it?

mrchrist

He also tried to punch me and told me I was a F***ing W***er as i moved into the road to avoid him. TBH thought he would jump on the empty pavement instead of expecting me to move but hey-ho…

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

I thought there was more training value in running in the opposite direction to the traffic….bit like swimming against the tide innit. Or is it because they know there’s something up the road that some unwitting car driver is about to encounter?

Duggan

OK, bye

mrchrist

So far I have:

1 – softer surface/easier on the knees
    2 – more even surface
    3 – highway code when no pavement

mrchrist

“OK, bye”

thanks for popping in

mikey74
    Free Member

I think the “more even surface” is a load of rubbish, given the state of the roads and the amount of potholes. I’d rather keep to the pavement for this reason.

moshimonster
    Free Member

[/quote] So you can see what’s about to run you down.

This^
    I live out in the sticks were there are no pavements and the roads are quite narrow. If you walk/run on the left hand side of the road you are far more likely to get “clipped” into the ditch by a car/van/lorry that doesn’t notice you. If you walk on the right then you can directly see the oncoming traffic and take a dive if necessary. Just common sense really.

nealglover
    Free Member

He also tried to punch me and told me I was a F***ing W***er as i moved into the road to avoid him.

That seems like the sort of detail you wouldn’t have forgotten when writing the opening post.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ah, the running against traffic one. A pet hate of mine. 😈

There is a reason pedestrians are advised to walk against traffic…

So they can see the traffic AND TAKE STEPS TO GET OUT OF THE WAY IF THEY CAN!

There’s no other reason for being able to see the traffic. If you are not expecting to deal with oncoming traffic, you may as well walk/run with the traffic as it’s no different to you.

Walkers usually do this, step to the side, onto a verge or pavement if there is one, or tuck in as much as they can, walk in single file when they see oncoming traffic. Runners frequently however do not in my experience. They continue to run towards the approaching car and make the driver stop or swerve. If the driver stops, the runner keeps approaching and gives them a dirty look or knocks the wing mirror as they squeeze past. A walker at least will wait if the driver has had to stop to allow for oncoming traffic.

Plus to a driver it’s harder to judge stopping distance between two objects moving towards each other rather than one moving towards a fixed object or one moving ahead but slower than them.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Steam gives way to sail and all that.

6079smithw
    Free Member

PEOPLE RUNNING ON ROADS SHOULD PAY ROAD TAX AND HAVE NUMBER PLATES

bigrich

PEOPLE RUNNING ON ROADS SHOULD PAY ROAD TAX AND HAVE NUMBER PLATES

I saw one go through a red light. they think they own the road! I bet they haven’t even got insurance or passed a test!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well ever day is a school day for the OP.

As to why runners do it? Around our way the pavements can be on a camber, you are always going up and down for drive ways etc and I you are doing a few miles that can make you ache and put you out of your rhythm.

I guess its like roadies who don’t like to go off road.

It always amazes me the amount of walkers on country roads that walk with the traffic, idiots. At least if you can see the traffic coming towards you you can dive out of the way!

spooky_b329

If you were in your car, would you have still played chicken and expected him to hop back on to the pavement rather than go wide?

So why would you ride at him on a bike?!

beinbhan

Saves you having to dodge all the idiots riding their bike on the pavment with no lights 😀

jonba
    Free Member

Am I too late to aSK if they had a helmet on? Lights, high via?They are a menace and dangerous to other road users causing accidents.

beej

It’s not just so the runner/walker can see oncoming traffic – the driver will have more confidence that the runner has seen them and isn’t going to veer suddenly. Essentially, there’s a better chance that both parties know each other is there.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Why do brits have so much road angst? Chill out and accept other road users, it’s really no big deal.

boblo
    Free Member

Road vs pavement? There’s all sorts of shit on the pavement; street furniture, drop curbs, side roads, drive ways, broken paving slabs, slippy chippy wrappers, dog shit, letter boxes, pedestrians, tossers on boiks, tree roots etc etc.

Much better to run in the road and skip onto the curb if traffic is approaching.

mikey74
    Free Member

Road vs pavement? There’s all sorts of shit on the pavement; street furniture, drop curbs, side roads, drive ways, broken paving slabs, slippy chippy wrappers, dog shit, letter boxes, pedestrians, tossers on boiks, tree roots etc etc.
    Much better to run in the road and skip onto the curb if traffic is approaching.

Many of those things you still have to deal with on the road, plus a whole lot more. Obstacles make running more fun.

m360
    Free Member

Why do brits have so much road angst? Chill out and accept other road users, it’s really no big deal.

THIS.

We are all just trying to get somewhere, for some reason, whatever method we are using. If we all respect that and each other a bit more the country would be a much nicer place to travel in.

shermer75
    Free Member

Because the roads are so **** busy

binners

I think the bottom line here is that all people who go running are, for one reason or another, completely mental, have probably lost the will to live, and are subconciously, if not almost wilfully suicidal!

Lets be brutally honest here… have you ever seen a runner look like they’re enjoying the experience? Have you ever seen one smile? Even slightly? Ever seen one not grimacing?

No. Exactly! They make most roadies look like Michael Mcintyre. The look they all wear ranges from:

1. I’m only doing this to get out of the house, away from a wife and kids who despise me. If I don’t, I’m so pathetically brow-beaten, I’ll only be forced to watch the Eastenders omnibus again, uncomplaining, while building up a seething, potentially murderous resentment that can only end with a new patio. I’m going to run in the road, towards traffic instead.

2. I really need to lose about 5 stone, so I’ll lift one leg slightly higher than the other, at the same pace a 60 year old arthritic wouldn’t find taxing, then maybe it’ll all magically drop off. I suppose there might be more chance of that happening if I didn’t go home and cry myself to sleep while cramming chocolate into my face and rinsing it down with cheap chardonnay. It really isn’t worth carrying on any more…..

Then there are fell runners, who quite frankly terrify me. The look on their face as they appear from nowhere, out on the moor, while you’re out night riding, tells me they’re utterly oblivious to their surroundings, and are only listening to the voices in their heads telling them that they need to kill again.

adsh
    Free Member

Ah, the running against traffic one. A pet hate of mine.

There is a reason pedestrians are advised to walk against traffic…

So they can see the traffic AND TAKE STEPS TO GET OUT OF THE WAY IF THEY CAN!

There’s no other reason for being able to see the traffic. If you are not expecting to deal with oncoming traffic, you may as well walk/run with the traffic as it’s no different to you.

Walkers usually do this, step to the side, onto a verge or pavement if there is one, or tuck in as much as they can, walk in single file when they see oncoming traffic. Runners frequently however do not in my experience. They continue to run towards the approaching car and make the driver stop or swerve. If the driver stops, the runner keeps approaching and gives them a dirty look or knocks the wing mirror as they squeeze past. A walker at least will wait if the driver has had to stop to allow for oncoming traffic.

Plus to a driver it’s harder to judge stopping distance between two objects moving towards each other rather than one moving towards a fixed object or one moving ahead but slower than them.

Quite – how dare they think they have a right to use our roads on an equal basis to cars. Whilst we’re on that how dare car drivers get there puny shitboxes in the way of my lorry. All those single occupant leisure journies get in the way of my vital goods that benefit the economy plus they use the inner lane on motorways when they could be using the 3rd lane.

FFS sake they run the opposite way to jump for their lives in the event of a **** in a car failing to see them in time not to make life faintly more convenient for someone who can slow by applying 5kg of pressure with their big toe and get going again by applying slightly less to the pedal on the right of the one they just used.

traildog
    Free Member

I agree. It really annoys me that people get in my way when I drive my vehicle. I have spoken with many other road users and they all agree. Why does the government not take steps to get rid of other people on the roads? It’s all part of the war against the motorist that THEY have.

D0NK

It always amazes me the amount of walkers on country roads that walk with the traffic, idiots. At least if you can see the traffic coming towards you you can dive out of the way!

well this thread is proof that there’s people on here that don’t know that it’s the advised approach, maybe these “idiots” don’t know either.

TBH thought he would jump on the empty pavement instead of expecting me to move but hey-ho…

Was it a busy road or just you and him? If busy then yeah, you’re running the risk of a motorist clipping you so it would have been politer for him to step onto the pavement (if there was one). If just you two then WTF would you expect him to jump out of the way?

I passed some runners out last night running on the road rather than the dodgy pavement, just move around them same as you’d do with parked cars potholes and any other number of everyday stuff you have to avoid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Why do runners, run in the road against traffic?’ is closed to new replies.