Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Why do people love hating on things
  • Kahurangi

Does it make you feel better about something? Why do you get so het up about things you don’t like?

Ed Sheeran? Other people going 1x? Coldplay? Football?

If you won’t like something, don’t give the effort of actively hating it, just get on with your life.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI[/video]

Cheer up, it’s Friday 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Reported.

rawka
    Free Member

don’t hate the haters

sirromj

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOQ9hX0Cri8[/video]

nickfrog
    Free Member

Projection of own insecurities/frustrations/anger. Basic Freudian stuff.

wilburt
    Free Member

Some things need hating, thats why the word exists.

slowoldman

“hating on”?
    I hate that.

Stoner
    Free Member

“hating on”??!!

My hate has a new focus…

SaxonRider

Mostly, I just hate extremism, violence, the fact that I have a hard time not eating too much, cancer, and hating.

Otherwise, I don’t hate.

funkmasterp

So the only options are to like something or ignore it. Where is the fun in that?

jekkyl

lol @ coldplay.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s not hate – there’s just a lot of shit things.

Which I *need* to point out to people :mrgreen:

Kahurangi

“hating on”?
    I hate that.

“hating on”??!!
    My hate has a new focus…

So you just got played… 😆

Northwind

If you’re aware you’re a pretty crap person, and you think it’s too much work to be a better person, it’s only natural that you try and find things to hate, to make you feel better about your own substandardness.

shermer75
    Free Member

I love that Boyd Rice video! Where on earth did you dig that up from? 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

So you just got played

The Edinburgh defence. I hate that, too. 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

If you’re aware you’re a pretty crap person,

I have a personal theory that it is those who think that they are not the best people in the world who are, in fact, the best people in the world and it is the ones who think that they are 100% amazing who are actually complete monsters. Philosophical, yagetmeh?

plyphon
    Free Member

Because its E D G Y and people want to be seen as the cool guy who wears long sleeve shirts under short sleeve shirts under long sleeve shirts and don’t play by anyones rules, not even their own.

MoreCashThanDash

Projection of own insecurities/frustrations/anger

Yep. Attention seeking twatishness, to give it the non-Freudian term

eddie11
    Free Member

Everyone needs a hobby

Pigface
    Free Member

Where did I say I hated Ed Sheeran? I don’t understand the popularity of his song Galway Girl, never said I hated young master Sheeran.

🙄

6079smithw
    Free Member

I think it’s justified to hate things that threaten your own personal existence, like other people going 1x, or Coldplay.

ads678

If you swap something out, is there now room to hate on something?

mark88

It’s not hate – there’s just a lot of shit things.

This. I don’t mind things being rubbish, but when I’m repeatedly told they’re good, I become a ‘hater’ because I have to correct people

sirromj

I love that Boyd Rice video! Where on earth did you dig that up from?

Thanks to the tune-association thread, I’ve learnt how to use the search filters on Discogs 🙂

Helps to avoid music I hate 😉

IHN

If you swap something out, is there now room to hate on something?

It depends on what you were running in the first place

BobaFatt
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM[/video]

slowoldman

So you just got played…

Eh? You’ll need to explain that, I’m older than 14.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s a weird & fucted up way of fulfilling their needs.

Some of us do it in a positive fashion, other chose a negative mode:

Link

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m not a hater; it’s just funny to take the mick out of stuff on here.

Half the forum seem to have their heads up their arses though, and they can’t help but bite. The “Collective term for those going 1*11” thread is a prime example. Just stop and have a think about what it is you’re getting wound up about.

jimjam
    Free Member

Few things are truly extraordinary. Pick your medium, pick your art form, pick your endevour, pick your sport and think about what is actually great.

Then take Coldplay. Fine, they are just a band making music so bland it makes porridge seem like LSD but….. it’s not sold to us like that. The Deejay on Radio One doesn’t introduce their latest track as offensively mediocre musical dishwater. No, they lie and tell us how great and exciting it is.

But if the opportunity arises to actually speak the truth about these issues then by christ I will tell you what I think. Now obviously the amateur psychologists have already told us that this is a way of fulfilling some need or venting frustration or anger but I believe people have to be as honest as possible even if it is uncomfortable and if that means being honest and critical about shit to mediocre music, films, art, sport, people etc then so be it.

Enjoy your Ed Sheeran. Enjoy your soccer. Enjoy your Suicide Squad. You can even tell me you enjoyed it. But don’t try to tell me it’s actually great. Grumpy men serve a purpose. And that purpose is to stimulate greatness by not tolerating shitness.

CountZero

Then take Coldplay. Fine, they are just a band making music so bland it makes porridge seem like LSD but….. it’s not sold to us like that. The Deejay on Radio One doesn’t introduce their latest track as offensively mediocre musical dishwater. No, they lie and tell us how great and exciting it is.

This I have to agree with.
    There’s little in music I actively hate, I’m more deeply disappointed that so many people seem to be so engaged and excited by stuff that’s so…beige!

SaxonRider

jimjam, I partially agree with you. With respect to Ed Sheeran and Suicide Squad, etc., you are simply identifying what we would all do well to remember: that is, the distinction between subjective perception and objective reality.

In terms of how we communicate that, though, there is certainly no need to act like an asshat. Being ‘as honest as possible even if it is uncomfortable’ is, more often than not, just an excuse for being uncaring and unmannered.

When we’re being lied to, however, such as when the media tells us that something is great and it really, really isn’t, than sure: be critical all you want.

Ultimately, though, there is seldom a call on any of us to be nasty.

jimjam
    Free Member

SaxonRider

When we’re being lied to, however, such as when the media tells us that something is great and it really, really isn’t, than sure: be critical all you want.

Ultimately, though, there is seldom a call on any of us to be nasty.

Well I don’t think the OP is asking about genuinely nasty people say, stalking a celebrity and constantly insulting them via twitter or facebook are they?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Hate is a powerful word.

I wonder how many folks actually genuinely hate things?

garage-dweller

Because if you….

[video]https://youtu.be/7cgdM0gWGoU[/video]

SaxonRider

I used to love that commercial!

Kahurangi

Yep, hate it a but strong a term but I used the term “hating on” because I reckoned it would rile people up nicely. “het up” being more appropriate was used in the body of the text.

I’m not at all insinuating some dichotomy of love or ignore. More confused, amused and bewildered that some folk seem to put so much energy in to being annoyed at stuff that really doesn’t count for anything at the end of the day. Is their life so devoid of love and joy that being a dick grumpy head really gives it purpose?

Tiger6791

If you don’t hate some stuff you’ll become

Enthusiastic Parker !!

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0xFrBfeKJoo[/video]

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Why do people love hating on things’ is closed to new replies.