Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Why do people like windfarms?
  • yodagoat
    Free Member

They don’t really work and there are much better “renewable” energy sources that we should be looking at. So why are the Lammermuirs covered in them?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Coz if you stick them up the govt give you £100,000.

Every year.

Each turbine.

We pay for that in increased power bills.

And we pay for the power that comes off them.

Tidal power seems a better bet; the sea’s always going in or out. But it’s not being seen to be green, so not fashionable.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

Wave power is where it’s at. Massive amounts of energy just waiting to be harnessed…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GW
    Free Member

So I have something slightly more interesting than just a dull lifeless hill to look at from my living room.

emanuel
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=hYoidn4QRMI[/video]
    ‘cos the wind takes your troubles away.

GW
    Free Member

funny thing is, view from my kitchen is the twin towers of stinky cockendzie.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m into them cos if it will rumple the feathers of the reactionaries and luddites then I’ll happily get one erected on my arse..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tidal and wave is being installed. Windfarms do work and do produce energy. Elegant as well IMO

yodagoat
    Free Member

GW, get some binoculars. I’ll go up and run about naked. You know you love it.

donsimon
    Free Member

They don’t really work and there are much better “renewable” energy sources that we should be looking at. So why are the Lammermuirs covered in them?

You can’t just come in here and do that!!
    Come on!
    Where is your evidence that they don’t work? Documentary evidence? Links? Anything to support your argument?
    What do you think is the solution? What altenatives are you offering? Again with figures and documentary evidence.
    No half arsed rants here, please!

GW
    Free Member

“up” you mean 😉

GW
    Free Member

save your petrol money just come up and jump around naked in my trampoline

yodagoat
    Free Member

TJ, a few are quite nice, but now the lammys are covered in them. They’ve even destroyed an ancient right of way, the herring road, to build the windmills. They do (sometimes) produce energy but are in no way cost effective.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Why do people like windfarms?

because the infrastructure destroys the deep peat moorland they site them on, negatively impacts the drinking water catchment

they are also silent in operation, operate all the time, don’t burst into flames and have replaced umpteen “conventional” power stations

the operators also put loads of money into the local communities and create lots of jobs

GW
    Free Member

Mike, you been up Sutra and seen them close up, I think they’re quite cool. way cooler than disused war bunkers and dookits for instance 😉

yodagoat
    Free Member

Don Simon – I did have a link to a website that showed what energy sources were powering the grid but I cant find the wensite. Epic fail on my behalf, I know.

GW, be up in half an hour, just after I’ve shaved…..

Karinofnine

I think it’s a step in the right direction. I quite like them, although they are a bit spooky. When I go to Glyncorrig and see them I feel a little bit afraid that they are going to turn round and zap me (like War of the Worlds). Part of the answer. Along with a changing of our lives so we use less power, more ‘home’ power schemes, more wave power. Reduce. Reduce. Reduce (which can be done without too much pain, if only people would think laterally). BUT my friend in Wales tells me that his local wind turbines are owned by the French and profits go to them, that’s not good. Plus, all that concrete for the roads leading to isn’t very good.

yodagoat
    Free Member

I’ve been up and seen them, they are pretty cool too look at up close. The best bit about the windfarms are the tracks around them. I can blat up them on the GS and feel like Ewan MacGregor. There’s just to many of the things now. Its ruined the novelty factor.
    No way as good as nuclear bunkers. 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Epic fail on my behalf, I know.

At least you recognise it, I still can’t take your wild claims seriously though. 😉
    Silent operation? 😆

yodagoat
    Free Member

What head angle/tyres for looking at windmills?

GW
    Free Member

Which is prettiest?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

doesn’t matter which is the prettiest, the windfarm doesn’t replace the other two

GW
    Free Member

before your time Mike but watch the vid

http://ssa.nls.uk/film.cfm?fid=8500&search_term=dunbar&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

I was there, expect CK would have been too.

kevj
    Free Member

You know, over the last few hundred years, those folks over in the Netherlands have been building windfarms to pump out the water and nowadays, they are seen as an attraction?

I am not saying modern windfarms don’t have the same appeal, it is just they are a new feature on our landscape and people generally don’t like change.

GW
    Free Member

does matter which is prettiest

Yes, you’re right it does 😆

Steelfreak
    Free Member

So what do those babies churn out (given a moderate breeze)?

yodagoat
    Free Member

I think torness looks the best! It looks like something from star wars. Looks cool at night too.

user-removed
    Free Member

I kind of like them because I get paid handsomely to produce visual impact assessment photography for the developers once or twice a year 🙂 Couple of months hanging around in the mountains waiting for decent visibility, all expenses paid, all day hikes miles from anywhere – dog loves it too!

GW
    Free Member

always wanted to cycle across that overpass/bridge thing at Cockenzie, prob could have years back too (seeing as the old man ran the place).

dogbert
    Free Member

“might not work, but i’m ‘kin raking it it”

uplink
    Free Member

they are also silent in operation, operate all the time, don’t burst into flames and have replaced umpteen “conventional” power stations

Just for big_n_daft 🙂

Lots more pics here – apparently the gearbox oil gets hot sometimes

mrmo
    Free Member

there is a solution that does away with the need for wind farms and power stations, not totally i grant.

i know they are boring but your choice.

GW
    Free Member

Oooohhh! I hope I see that happen some day!
    if they all went up on Sutra it’d be the best birthday cake ever!!

uplink
    Free Member

Oooohhh! I hope I see that happen some day!

Just make sure you move your car

coffeeking
    Free Member

They do (sometimes) produce energy but are in no way cost effective.

Considering banks are fairly massive investors in windfarms, and they’re fairly cautious on their expenditure these days, some might disagree. I quite like the look of a few of them standing in places, but I dislike seeing farms of them across pretty countryside. I’d much rather see them in the sea, and they make a nice addition to an industrial waterfront

Cougar

Always baffles me how people will whine about wind turbines, yet no-one bats an eyelid about countryside pylons which are fugly and everywhere.

Goddamn NIMBYs.

aracer
    Free Member

Considering banks are fairly massive investors in windfarms, and they’re fairly cautious on their expenditure these days, some might disagree.

See:

Coz if you stick them up the govt give you £100,000.

uplink
    Free Member

yet no-one bats an eyelid about countryside pylons which are fugly and everywhere.

There was some serious prolonged winging and escapades around here
    They got up to all sorts to try and stop them

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/archive/1998/05/09/York+Archive/7969350.Shares_bid_to_blow_fuse_in_pylons_plan/

http://www.revolt.co.uk/suppor1.html

project
    Free Member

On ince marshes next to one of the largest oil refinerys in the uk, a huge glass bottle making plant, the manchester ship cannal, the largest uk producer of highly poisonous chlorine and other nasties,along with a large fertilizer plant, and a major motorway,2 railway lines going to different placesand a major river, they want to put some wind turbines, and the locals are complaining about visual impact.

Ince marshes is the stretch of motorway just after chester services and just before the runcorn turnoff the m56

donsimon
    Free Member

and the locals are complaining about visual impact.

That is possibly one of the funniest things ever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Why do people like windfarms?’ is closed to new replies.