Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Why do people leave events before they’ve finished?
  • phiiiiil

Every time you go to the cinema, there are people standing up to leave as soon as the music starts to swell in a “this is nearly the end” kind of a way. Every time you go to a gig there are people leaving when the band first say goodnight, as if they’ve never heard of encores. Last night the gf and I went to the NEC to watch horses jump over stuff, and again people were leaving as soon as we got a vague idea as to who was going to win the last event.

What’s the rush? Why risk missing out on stuff at the end (extra bits in films, awesome encores at gigs and whatnot) for the sake of getting out five minutes earlier? Besides anything else it strikes me as a bit rude, really, to leave before everything has officially finished.

Is there some reason I’m missing?

ton

Leeds Rhinos Rugby League fans are very good at this……

porterclough
    Free Member

It really irritates me at football too. I assume it’s people who want to get out the car park first ..

johnhoo
    Free Member

well at sports events, if your team is getting hammered, presumably you don’t want to see any more…

but at gigs/cinema/theatre/opera etc, it’s very rude IMO

druidh
    Free Member

Leaving for the last bus/train perhaps? It’s happened to me a couple of times, usually at some gig which starts later than advertised too!

djglover
    Free Member

Bored of the game / gig? Got a bunk up? Why are you worried about it?

rOcKeTdOg

well at the NEC, at a popular event if you leave with everyone else and you are parked a distance from the exit it can take up to 3/4 hr to get out

samuri
    Free Member

I’d say it’s to get out of the car park. yep,you’ll leave the event 5 minutes early but that means you’ll leave the car park an hour early.

Like that time we walked out of ‘The bodyguard’, oh no, hang on, that’s because it was shite.

RustySpanner

If you walked out before the end of a Jazz flick would that be premature evacuation?

SST
    Free Member

Well I stopped at services on the M25 at around midnight thursday night and saw a couple in AC/DC T shirts comig out of the building as I went in. I said you must have driven even quicker tha me and the woman said “we left before the last song”

I was shocked and stunned.

DrJ

Because they’re Man Ure fans and can’t bear to see the penalties??

flyingmonkeycorps

I sometimes leave gigs partway through the last band if they’re rubbish. Wy would I want to sit through a crap band? I’ve walked out of films halfway through too, although I generally tend to wait till the credits roll.

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s usually to do with getting out of car parks, yhey do it at my local team and it’s chaos getting out. Give it 15/20 minutes while you have a chat and it’s not a problem.

Think it was either Sandwell or Eastnor I had a fosters after my solo and fell asleep in the sun to wake up and find everyone gone and my tent and landrover all alone.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

encores at gigs are stupid anyway.
    just play all the songs you’re going to play, then say goodnight and leave it at that. stupid rockstars.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Why do you think it’s rude? People are generally there for themselves, not for the interests of others. If they have a busy life like me, then spending an extra hour trying to get home is a major bummer. Some people just can’t stand jams as they get stressed out by them. Sometimes people are only staying to watch something to find out the result for themselves…if they know what the result is going to be, why stay?

You have different objectives to them, that’s the bottom line. Doesn’t make them bad/wrong!

Olly
    Free Member

to beat the traffic mainly i guess.
    irritates me when people toddle off at races before its ended.
    and organiser puts on a great even for a few hundred people, and by the time it comes to the podium, and to thank the organiser, there are 20 people left.
    i get the feeling a lot of people see it as “i didnt win, im not getting a prize, why hang around?”

IMO, its not over till the fat man sings
    that, and i never go into a race with any expectations of coming higher than half way up the standings 😀

Bloc Party, bashed on for AAGES, but it was great, they seemed like they were having fun, we all had fun, and the traffic dodgers missed some really good bits.

and sitting in Wolv Civic multistorey car park listening to bloc party on other peoples stereos for 45 mins was fun 🙂

aP
    Free Member

We went to a concert last year in Hammersmith for which I’d been bought tickets for about 6 months before. The main act (which I’d really wanted to see) hadn’t come on stage by 11pm, I had a meeting in Canary Wharf at 7am the next morning we went home.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I generally get up at the credits of a film. I have other things to do, like go to the pub or go home – if I want to see the out-takes I’ll buy the DVD.
    Never left any film *early* that I can think of, one or two films I should have left early (Producers, anyone?!).

Left a gig early, the support was poor but the main act (Number One Son) were dire, so bad the real metal fans we were with left before us.It seems their music has improved with time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGPU5eBDP-w

Left the MPH show early-ish as the main events were over and there’s no point hanging about til rush hour just to look over the same stuff a 4th time. Instead I caught food poisoning from a Wimpey and spent a week off work.

If I pay to see something and dont like it I’ll leave when I like. If the outtakes dont interest me, or my car is on a meter, why the hell should I stick around?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Why do people leave events before they’ve finished?’ is closed to new replies.