Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Why do people drive through floods?
  • rudebwoy
    Free Member

People who enter a car/vehicle seem to transmorph into all action super heroes– they watch to many filuums 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

Why do people drive through floods?

The question is too specific. The real question is “Why are people stupid?”. And it’s more of a rhetorical question really.

I also can’t believe people are still surprised by motorists doing idiotic things. 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

ditto

joemarshall
    Free Member

There are plenty of reasons not to go in flood water but as a kayaker it is fookin amazing – to paraphase William Nealy – “like riding a run away train”.

Hell yeah. Our Thursday morning swim is so on. Did a mile in under ten minutes last time it was proper going like it is at the moment, and breaking out into eddies is a real buzz. I only do it on rivers that I know like the back of my hand, but as long as I know the get outs (and know that there are some get outs in eddies so I don’t have to hang onto trees to pull myself out!) it is real fun.

Sewage is a really bad problem in some rivers like the Thames in London, where the sewage stuff doesn’t have the capacity, so they dump any time there is a really big lot of rain, yuck. Round here I think it is mostly more extra mud and sticks and whatever comes off the fields, although I will get out before the sewage works outflow on Thursday just to be on the safe side.

miketually
    Free Member

Some idiot rode their bike through floodwater to get to work this morning:

Marin
    Free Member

Because they thought they owned a haddock not a Honda.

Apparently a tweet police down south posted about someone according to Radio 2.

I drove through three flooded steam things in New Zealand Southern Alps last year miles from anywhere. Walked all of them first to suss them out then drove nervously through. I think most peoples lives are so routine they now have no concept of not being able to drive where they want.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why?

Because they are stupid

FWIW I’ve driven a 4×4 with a roof level air intake through water which came up to the bonnet/side windows – very cool. I’ve also towed people out of “puddles” not even a foot deep.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Our Thursday morning swim is so on. Did a mile in under ten minutes last time it was proper going like it is at the moment, and breaking out into eddies is a real buzz.

You sound like a nut job. Kudos.

crazy-legs

Isn’t there quite a lot of raw sewage in flood water too?

Depends where it is. Towns and cities yes.
    In the countryside it tends to be more fertiliser/manure washed off fields and if you’re especially unlucky and the water has run across a dairy farm before ending up where it is, then loads and loads of cow shit which is thoroughly unpleasant stuff.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The thing that bothers me is at what water depth does my boring family hatchback start to float? As in the back wheels getting light and drifting to the side, down with the flow. Has anyone been there?

spacemonkey

Went for a run one Sunday morning about 3yrs ago after a torrential downpour. Ventured upon one of the usual flood risk sections (road at bottom of hill by river) and guess who had failed to make it all the way across? Middle-aged blokey in his DB9. Firemen reckoned a new engine was just the start of it. Not sure how insurance companies view this things; Act of God + driver error = we’re not paying?

julians
    Free Member

Encountered a flooded road on my way home last night (peover lane near chelford if anyone knows it), decided to give it a whirl, got about half way in then chickened out, water was just below the doors at the point I backed out, so figured it was probably going to get too deep, as I wasnt quite halfway through.

Car was a fairly low slung m3, so figured it wasnt worth the risk.

nealglover
    Free Member

Car was a fairly low slung m3, so figured it wasnt worth the risk.

It most certainly wasn’t !

Very low air intakes on the 3 series.

And expensive engines on the M3 version.

A wise move indeed 🙂

The thing that bothers me is at what water depth does my boring family hatchback start to float? As in the back wheels getting light and drifting to the side, down with the flow. Has anyone been there?

If you really want to know, look up the wading depth of your car online.

If you can find it anywhere, then I would stay out of water any deeper than the bottom of the front bumper as it clearly not designed for it.

marcus
    Free Member

Open the doors a bit, it stops the vehicle floating

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Why do people drive through floods?’ is closed to new replies.