Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Why do my spokes keep coming undone?
  • sam_underhill

American classic hubs, stans crest 29er rim, bladed Dt Swiss spokes, brass nips. Built by lbs.

I think the front had settled down, but the rear keeps getting lose spokes. I think it’s mostly the drive side. I tend to notice every 100km or so. It’s getting to the point that I don’t really trust them for long rides anymore.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Sad to say, but probably badly built.
    If the spoke tension was correct & even, correct length spokes used then there’s really no other reason for it.
    Worst case they should’ve used Spoke Freeze to prevent it from happening.

nickc

heard stories about stans coming loose on non drive side with tightly mounted tubeless, how are they laced?

Edit: plus stans sometimes need them done up properly tight (at the top end of the spoke tension)

pondy
    Free Member

I had some stans flow coming loose from New, has online shop who built them rebuild them and it happened again, took it to lbs who used nipple freeze and now have not needed anything for years, roll onto my crest rims which keep coming loose even with nipple freeze and multiple rebuilds, both only the rear wheel and only on the brake side. The crests spokes are tight but slaken off a lot when the tyre is inflated

sam_underhill

Cheers folks. All good info.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Insufficient tension.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m from the school of thought that doesn’t use spoke prep/freeze or anything similar. In fact, I copaslip my nipples and spoke threads.

If spokes come loose, it’s either under tensioned, unevenly tensioned or a poorly specced wheel.

Unfortunately, every shop that has a wheel builder will claim to have an amazing wheel builder. People who have wheels built that don’t go wrong will perpetuate this idea. To me, those are adequate wheels. However, it’s possible your wheel builder has missed that marker also.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Why do my spokes keep coming undone?’ is closed to new replies.