Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • why do lorries / trucks have lights on top?
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

why do lorries have those the little lights on the corners on top of the cab (not the great big spotlights they sometimes mount in the centre)? Seen it on some smaller trucks as well?

Just pondering it after a little truck with them on was follwing me home just now.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just pondering it after a little truck with them on was follwing me home just now.

Edric64
    Free Member

It helps to know how big the oncoming vehicle is if you can see all of its outline and you can change your road position accordingly

lakesrider
    Free Member

lol @ captainflasheart

edric64 – yeah that sounds a good answer to me! The things you learn on STW 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

also handy letting you know there’s a biggun coming over the brow of the hill…

smudge
    Free Member

bit of a 😯 when you see the top lights on at night as theyre fairly dim so you think ah theres miles away I can easily overtake, then the headlights appear from out of the dip in the road and you have to yank your anchors on and cut back in!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glad someone got the reference! 😉

jd-boy
    Free Member

In the states the orange lights on the top 3 centre, one each corner, show they are a towing vehicle, and BIG, we also have them on our pickups as we tow aswell, here in the UK its handy at night as the truck driver sits higher up, you see the lights on the cab before the headlights if they are in a dip, its handy so you can dip your lights before you blind him.

skidartist
    Free Member

god I love that film

yesiamtom
    Free Member

excellent film!

Maybe its so trucks that tail gate each other know when the other one is slowing down. Although im convinced they must have a vulcan mind meld style thing to be able to drive 2 feet apart and not crash.

Xylene
    Free Member

Why do they have stupid blue displays in their cabs of LEDs?

yesiamtom – Member
    excellent film!

Maybe its so trucks that tail gate each other know when the other one is slowing down. Although im convinced they must have a vulcan mind meld style thing to be able to drive 2 feet apart and not crash.

Nah, they are mostly just **** who don’t consider the consequences of their retarded driving style.

Some drive sensibly (flaming for generalisation avoided), but the ones that drive 2ft away are generally the same ones that think on a busy dual carriageway, overtaking another truck that is 0.00000000012645 mph slower than them is really going to get them to their destination significantly quicker, with flagrant disregard for the two miles of traffic stuck behind them for the half an hour that it takes them to get past.

What jd-boy said. ^^

The overtaking thing is best if you’re in a 15′ high, lightly loaded curtainsider and the other driver is in a flat bed loaded to 44 tonnes.

As the flat bed struggles up the hill at 55.5mph you can get past him on the speed limiter at 56mph.

Over the brow and the wind resistance of the curtainsider will hold it back to 56mph while the heavier truck can re-overtake as it runs away up to 56.5mph.

On a good day you can keep this pass and re-pass going for miles. 😛

1981miked
    Free Member

It actually does make a difference once you get past the slower truck as the road ahead is clear and the driver doesn’t have to drive 2 feet away from the truck in front like a “****”, i certainally don’t tailgait and don’t condone it but in order to pass the slower truck you need to get in its slipstream much like racing cars do as this makes the pass easier.

Perhaps the driver maybe just wants home a bit quicker after a long week/day. I bet you never sit right up the arse end of trucks where they cant see you tho do you? Or overtake at the 200 yard marker for a junction then cut in front of the truck and go up the exit? Or think that as a car driver you can fly up the outside lane when approaching roadworks then expect an hgv to let you in, then when it doesnt give the driver abuse? Or give them no room on roundabouts…i could go on.

We are just trying to do our job, it is hard enough without you “expert ” drivers passing comment on things you more than likely know nothing about!

Without trucks you get NOTHING, no bike bits, no computers to post daft messages on forums..

Lets live in harmony, peace nd love man 😛

Back to your life citizens, nothing too see here.

Why do we have stupid litle LED displays? Why do we spend mega bucks on pimpy bike bits, fancy brakes etc..because we can and because it personalises the truck..after all we spend most of the day and week in it so its nice to make it nice..much like decorating a house i suppose.

And another thing…

For every truck delivering stuff in to to the supermarkets, there’s 200 cars taking it back out again.
    Who’s causing the traffic jams ? 😛

Leigh
    Free Member

i have to agree on passing trucks, used to wonder why they did it but after spending a few days on the road in one you soon see why they do it,

Edric64
    Free Member

I know one trucker who has white lambswool carpet in the cab and drives in slippers.Who only pulls loads he can drop and leave cos he won’t unload anything!!Mind you he’s a 5ft2 inch weed so it’s not surprising !!

Karinofnine

If they weren’t limited to 56mph they would be able to overtake more quickly. Plus, when you’re heavy you need to keep up your momentum, it takes ages and lots of fuel to regain even a few mph, particularly if you are going even slightly uphill.

I tow a caravan and spend a lot of time in the same lane as trucks. Almost without exception the drivers are professional, safe and courteous.

More than I can say for reps (allowed to drive unlimited hours at unlimited speeds), coaches, especially the National Express, who fly past me way way over the speed limit, and boys in low-rent beemers and mercs who nip into the space in front of me in heavy traffic/roadworks/coming up to the Severn Bridge/Dartford Xing. Boys, that space in front of me is my braking distance 🙄

Macavity
    Free Member

Low flying aircraft, similar to radio masts?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘why do lorries / trucks have lights on top?’ is closed to new replies.