Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Why do I keep waking up at 2.30?!!!!!!!
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Every day for the last week it seems. Same time every morning. Can’t get back to sleep every time either. Help……

haroldfinch
    Free Member

Go on then, I’ll say it:

Change the time you’ve set your alarm for! 😕 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

I can’t even knock one out as it’ll wake the wife up and she’ll not be too impressed at this time of day. Plus my youngest daughter is here, as usual, but I don’t fit in her bloody bed!!

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t think it helps that I have to share my bed space with

My wife (though she is pretty small and doesn’t take up an inordinate amount of space).

My 4 yr old daughter (she is very small and takes up a whole lot more space. I keep putting her back in her bed but like the proverbial boomerang she comes back shortly after).

A gaggle of siamese cats (I realise gaggle isn’t the collective noun for three siamese cats, I’m not sure what that would be, might as well be a herd of siamese cats right now!!).

haroldfinch
    Free Member

Mrs Palmer and her daughters aside, have you tried an over the counter sleeping remedy to try and reset your sleep pattern?

I’ve had the Boots own brand one before and that worked well.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve had something and still no joy. Not much point now I guess as the wife will be getting up in an hour, followed by the girls who I need to drop at school/nursery.

I’m not in work today which is a result though.

oldnpastit

Try getting your daughter to stay in her own bed?

JoeG
    Free Member

Why do I keep waking up at 2.30?!!!!!!!

Because vampires are real!

loddrik
    Free Member

Tbf she didn’t wake me up. But it’s a work in process. The little bugger has a way of sensing when we are back asleep after we have put her back in her bed and then getting back in.

chojin
    Free Member

Well I’m doing the night shift, trying to get a 2 week old back to sleep. I feel your your pain.

jekkyl

Does your heating click on at that time?

Close the bedroom door so the cats can’t come & sleep on your bed.
    Once awake resist all temptation to pick up your phone or whatever Internet device you’re using. The light from the screen wakes you up more and ensures you don’t get back to sleep. Put your phone in another room if you can’t control yourself.

NZCol

Wake your wife up and get her to knock one out for you ?

Squidlord
    Free Member

It’s a “nuisance” of cats apparrently – which seems appropriate.

wwaswas

Romanians with dodgy feet stumbling past outside?

leffeboy

Is it bird song? we’ve found that there is a surprising amount of bird noise way earlier than we would expect at the moment
    +snigger at nzcol

jimmy

Don’t think it helps that I have to share my bed space with …

Think you’ve found your problem(s).

loddrik
    Free Member

A quick update. Went to tescos at 6.00. Am in the middle of making a chicken lasagne and chicken & coconut milk soup. Before breakfast. Wtf?! But at least it’s been a productive morning.

allthepies
    Free Member

Must be worry about Romanian Rayguns.

jekkyl

I think the muslamic raygams!?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Does your heating click on at that time?

Eh? 2;30 in the morning??

Loddrik: nice job on the pre-breakfast activities. I’ve finally realised that if I wake in the night, and can’t get back to sleep within 5 mins, that I should go with it rather than fight it …. get up have a cup of cocoa and watch some TV. Guaranteed to be back in bed alseep within 30 mins.

rewski
    Free Member

Next door doing hymn practice?

wwaswas

I have a small radio and a single earpiece. I just put the World Service on and listen until I get back to sleep. I probably wake at least twice each night for upto an hour (although usually only for 10 or 15 minutes).

Focusing on something ‘outside’ myself without getting up gets me back to sleep quickest.

Biggest problem I have now is always needing a wee if I do wake up in the night – I’ve had to stop drinking anything earlier and earlier in the evenings.

hooli

This will sound odd but when this happens to me I get up and go downstairs, leaving the duvet off so the bed cools down. I have a drink and sit around for 5 or 10 minutes before going for a pee and brushing my teeth before getting back into bed.

I read about it somewhere years ago and it is essentially telling your body that it is bedtime. Odd as it is, it seems to work with me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Try singing a hymn?

40mpg
    mucker

Is something playing on your mind? I am finding this increasingly disruptive as I get older.

jekkyl

Yeah I have the heating come on for 10 minutes every 2.5hrs through the night, keeps the house temp up. Sometimes the 4am one wakes me up.

heisenberg
    Free Member

I had this ages ago and for a very long time.. But 3:00 am 😡 …signed up to the gym plus good diet.. And sleep at the right time and not turning on the heater in my room during that hours helps.. Disappeared now.

chakaping
    Free Member
    mogrim

I can’t even knock one out as it’ll wake the wife up and she’ll not be too impressed at this time of day.

I find it hard to imagine a time of day when my wife would be impressed, but I suppose every marriage is different.

sharkbait
    Free Member

There was an interesting article on the BBC web site a while ago saying that the concept of sleeping all night is comparatively new.
    A couple of hundred years ago it was more normal to go to bed early (‘cos it was dark), have a sleep and then get up for a while and do some stuff before going back to bed for the ‘second’ sleep.
    The break in between sleeps was used for all sorts of stuff from sh***ing to cooking, housework or actually going round to visit friends.
    When lighting in houses/streets became more commonplace, people stayed up later so didn’t get up the night.

Found it – here

edit: too slow!

scotroutes

Go to bed later.

lowey

You share your bed with wife, daughter and a load of cats ? and you need to ask ?

Got any debts playing on your mind ?

johndoh
    Free Member

My 4 yr old daughter (she is very small and takes up a whole lot more space. I keep putting her back in her bed but like the proverbial boomerang she comes back shortly after).

I would be knocking that one on the head – at that age she should be sleeping well and all night. In her own bed. I would suggest that you need to go through the pain barrier with her (making her stay in her own bed, immediately putting her back without talking if she does come into your bed) before you can focus on your own sleeping issues.

How do I know? We have 4.5yr old twin girls – one sleeps erratically and went through long phases of coming into our room or shouting for us. So still now I wake at the slightest hint of hearing something that I think might be her starting off again. But we persevered and probably 70% of the time she now sleeps through and I am finding myself sleeping through more often (ie going back to my pre-children sleep patterns).

rocketman
    Free Member

Don’t think it helps that I have to share my bed space with

My 4 yr old daughter

A gaggle of siamese cats
    and you don’t know why you keep waking up?

sweepy
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs stopped sleeping in the same room a few years ago. I never let the cats in my room, I go there just to sleep, I have it the temp I want and I dont worry about waking her up if I roll over. It halved our argument rate at a stroke, and despite me thinking I slept well improved my sleeping no end.

johndoh
    Free Member

improved my sleeping no end

Yeah, because you can knock one out without waking her if you do wake in the night….

sweepy
    Free Member

Curses, rumbled 🙂

binners

How big’s your garden?

Knock one out to your hearts content

bensales
    Free Member

2:30?

Easy, go to the dentist.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Why do I keep waking up at 2.30?!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.