Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Why do I keep snapping chains?
  • andybanks
    Free Member

Simple question really..

Snapped a chain last week after splitting it to clean the bike up. Put the break down to the fact I’d split the chain and created a weak point.

Fitted a new SRAM chain with power connector and the chain snapped on it’s first ride. This chain had not been split as it has the power connector.

I’ve managed 1 year on my first chain, don’t put too much power through the pedals and use my gears pretty much as I should.

Bad luck or just doing something wrong?

simondbarnes

Bent tooth on a cassette sprocket or chainring? Bad luck?

m0rk
    Free Member

Did it snap at the power link, or somewhere else?

jota180
    Free Member

Is the new chain long enough?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I have only snapped a chain once in 40 years, but then I use gt85 after every ride. Hey, there might be a link…… Link get it….lols

muddyman
    Free Member

What frame is it your riding ? I had a marin wolf ridge that snapped chains on a regular basis and havent had one go since and have had several different frames over the last few years .
    I still ride the same as far as I know so put it down to the way that frame worked !?

vorlich
    Free Member

Are you threading it through the rear mech correctly?

jonba
    Free Member

Worn drive chain?

New chain on an old drive train will slip which will probably increase the chances of breakage.

FWIW I’ve had chains snap after one ride and had them replaced under warranty. Sometimes you can just be unlucky.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Why do I keep snapping chains?’ is closed to new replies.