Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • why do diesels seem faster?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I drove an Audi A4 Estate 2.0l turbo diesel a couple of weeks ago. It was very boring. Two days later I drove my cousin's Audi A4 Estate RS4. It was quite good fun actually (although not as quick out of the blocks as mine, but it would quickly overhaul it). 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Are you really comparing a 2 litre TD with a 2.7V6 twin turbo? 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Err yes – and they don't compare. See – I made a perfect argument for why petrols win every time*.

*Until you consider the fuel consumption on that beast (he gets about 20mpg on a run up from London to Harrogate). LOL

Shandy
    Free Member

Diesels seem faster when you habitually drive in the wrong gear, or cannot be arsed to change gear.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Shandy – Member
    Diesels seem faster when you habitually drive in the wrong gear, or cannot be arsed to change gear

That is what i have found a diesel makes you a lazy driver (leman cars the exception) and if you couple that to an auto then you get even lazier 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Then get cruise control, and you bearly have to provide any input at all 😀

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Already have it. It so nice driving along and being able to move you feet to a comffy position 🙂

br
    Free Member

Its more about how the 'power' kicks in.

If anyone has ridden a decent sized 2-stroke bike its the same, and like a diesel the power kicks in at lower revs.

But to compare like-to-like, I've owned a 309GTI (1.9 8v), a BX 16v (1.9 16v) and a Xantia TD (1.9 diesel).

The 309 had a very wide powerband, and would pull from low down in high gears through to nearly 6000rpm; the BX had nothing below about 4000rpm, but would happily run to 7000rpm and the Xantia ran 1500-4000 with barely any difference in feel across the range.

But my current petrol, will pull from 1000rpm through to over 6000rpm – with instant power at any time – I prefer petrol.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I think the exact opposite to OP. Sluggish,feel heavier(cos they are) and generally tedious. OK for the motorway warriors,but for me a good revvy VTEC engine is way more fun.I preferred 2 stroke motor bikes aswell.

angryratio
    Free Member

Is there anyone on here who just uses a car as a tool like a white good (say like your fridge)

It keeps your beer cool and just gets on with it without drama?
    My boring diesel berlingo suits me fine.

ahwiles
    Free Member

does your berlingo have those sliding gun-doors?

they're ace!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

All you diesel owners are very touchy aren't you? Are you all wishing you had got proper cars?

Proper as…like what exactly? Mines a 130 TDI Passat with 182,785 miles on it.

Two days later I drove my cousin's Audi A4 Estate RS4. It was quite good fun actually (although not as quick out of the blocks as mine

I'll get on of those when/if I can afford it.

You really should be on Top Gear. (You mebbe already are!)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am the same size as Hammond…

lalazar
    Free Member

For your information RS4 4.2 V8 Twin Turbo.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The RS4 sounds like heaven but I was a bit disappointed at initial acceleration tbh – still it is quick to learn to keep revs higher than I am used to in my TT

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘why do diesels seem faster?’ is closed to new replies.