Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Why do Cross bikes have mechanical rather than hydraulic disc brakes?
  • Northwind

mrmo – Member

why would it? seriously, most courses are based in parks and the like so only so much you can do, councils don’t like there parks being trashed in wet weather for a start.

There’s trails round here that were purpose built for the limitations of cross bikes, so if you change those limitations presumably that’d change the designs.

TBH I’m not sure if any of that’s desirable, seems like it just ends up narrowing the gap between cx and xc… But I can easily see it happening.

mrmo
    Free Member

TBh I’m not sure if any of that’s desirable, seems like it just ends up narrowing the gap between cx and xc.

this is the thing i think most people know what a cross race means, add in UCI guidance and we have what we have. Consider too that trails and race courses aren’t the same thing.

Northwind

Sorry, could have been clearer there, these were built for use in race courses (not sure anyone builds trails for any other reason for CX?)

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll happily use discs one day, but I hope the evolution is slow. I like many that only ever race their crossers are more than happy with cantis.

I do begrudge a little the fact that CX discs are being championed by those that want a cross bike to emulate their mountain bikes. The brake issue never had a voice, all was well until the bandwagon rolled into town. You can’t argue that discs coincide with the increased popularity with the ‘ownership’ of cross bikes.
    The pitch I feel is being queered by those that will never venture out onto it.

That said, give me a super lightweight set of hydros, chuck in a new frame and wheelset for free to put them on, I’d happily get on with it.

cchris2lou

Building a Kinesis Crosslight pro 2 at the moment .

going for bb7 road .

i use bb7 mtn on the mtb so will be good to have same pads .

shame that bb7 road are so expensive compared to the mtn version .

mattsccm
    Free Member

Hence me wanting a division between CX which is racing and everything else.

cookeaa

Actually that’s a good point the UCI rule change that has sort of triggered the current push towards discs in CX (rather gentle compared with other cycling industry technology/marketing pushes) was probably brought about more by cycle industry pressure than rider demands.

Those consumers with the most interest in disc braked CX bikes (including myself) would probably use such bikes primarily for recreation and commuting before actual racing…

The slower, patchier adoption of discs by serious CX racers suggests the perceived benefits are more towards the commuter/leisure rider (already used to discs on his or her MTB) than the serious competitor who isn’t keen on a heavier stopper when the extant bit of kit does all that they need for ~200g less…

I still fancy a disc braked 700c wheeled bike but I doubt I would do much actual CX racing on it…

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Why do Cross bikes have mechanical rather than hydraulic disc brakes?’ is closed to new replies.