Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • 'Why didn't you ring your bell' said the grumpy old lady…
  • jam-bo

It was immensely satisfying today to reply that I actually I did and you ignored it, and just to hammer the point home my 2yr old boy sitting in his weeride dinged it again.

Should have fitted one sooner.

tthew

Because she’s old, and can’t hear high frequencies any more. Especially from a distance?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i went nuclear –

got fed up of headphones and extendo leads on the shared path

so they get 2 dings of the bell and if they ignore that

then the hornit gets on it … 120 Db – no ones ignored it yet. most folk tend to jump out their skin

Jamie
    Free Member

Because she’s old, and can’t hear high frequencies any more. Especially from a distance?

^

Jam booooo!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I live in Monifieth in Scotland.

I regularly use the cycle path network (sometimes with Jr in his Wee-ride)

It is scary how many folk ignore the bell & I don’t tend to hang about, so wizz past regardless, usually with some abuse my way past for going too fast…..

Dogs not on leads is for another thread – winds me right up!

Happy Riding none the less 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

Which is why i don’t bother and just say excuse me.

jam-bo

She wasn’t that old, she’d almost certainly seen me but she was particularly grumpy.

tazzymtb

To be fair it tends to be the 4khz range that goes first with presbecusis (4khz frequency of human speech, hence why old folk can have difficulty with voices and background noise) so a higher frequency bell should still be readily discrete enough to be detected. Some old giffers aee just grumpy. I find screaming at thw top of my voice or singing the go compare tune in a maniacal falsetto works wonders for clearing the trail of random old fuddy duddies

rOcKeTdOg

Dogs not on leads is for another thread – winds me right up!

dogs on leads are worse, if they are extendable, owner one side of the path, dog the other, when they finally spot you human and animal invariably swap sides 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

I always thought Jam bo was one of the good guys. I just don’t know what to believe now….well, apart from it’s getting dusty in here 😥

cakefacesmallblock

Refitted a bell about a month ago as the fireroad sections on our local patch have been full of families during the school hols. Just seemed good , safe manners.

Worst thing I find with dogs and owners is that you can weigh up where the dog is and choose a line, then, as you get beyond the point of hard braking with a successful outcome, the owner calls the otherwise safe and unconcerned dog and the poor bloody thing narrowly misses getting hit, owner gets irate, I get hacked off and start pedalling again.

jam-bo

I always thought Jam bo was one of the good guys. I just don’t know what to believe now….well, apart from it’s getting dusty in here

I’ve met him, he’s a ****.

tthew

She wasn’t that old, she’d almost certainly seen me but she was particularly grumpy.

OK then, as you were. 🙂

andytherocketeer

Those extanda-leads annoy me too.

As did the stupid woman that jumped out in front of me insisting I slow down so she could call back her dog that was running about on the bike path thru the forest in nature reserve with a keep dogs on a lead / under control sign. (I had already slowed, could see the dog, and more than capable of deciding where to go).

And then the noddy that told me I should have rung the bell… as he’s pulling ipod earphones out of his ears, FFS. Bike bells should have a remote feature that kills the music on ipods and tells them to get out of the flippin’ way if walking/jogging on a signed bike path.

Oh and Hope Hoops are working better than a bell.

hels
    Free Member

Perhaps she wanted you to ring her bell ??

sparksmcguff

Out for a gentle pootle back in June on the deeside way, a young couple engrossed in conversation walking along going my way, I call out a cheery hello as usual, and then repeat it (I don’t do quiet), the lad looks round with a start and calls out a name, by this time i’m almost upon them. A large hairy thing lands on me, I land on the young lady as I am still clipped in. The lad looks confused and all I can profer is “lovely day”. Large dogs hiding in bushes, good or bad?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Owner one side of the bridleway picking blackberries in the hedge. Dog the other side, exploring interesting smells at the bottom of the other hedge. It’s only when you get really close that owner starts winding in about twenty feet of black nylon fishing line…

tthew

Here you go. Some ‘supporting evidence’. sorry mate, I didn’t hear you!

and I’ll try and measure the frequency of my bell tomorrow at work, but,

edit, that graph’s a bit confusingly labelled, I guess the 0 line is 40 yrs +0, then 40 yrs +10, +20 etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sparks thats oh such a familiar tail regarding deeside way – usually on my way home from work. tends to be empty at 6am 😀

njee20
    Free Member

That’s noise induced hearing loss though. That’s different to degradation with age innit.

seavers
    Free Member

I have found a front mounted Nerf N-Strike Vulcan EBF-25 Blaster is more effective than a bell.

IanMunro
    Free Member

So basically you need a speaker that produces this.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQcXlvccCI[/video]

Which I reckon would be hard to ignore 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m waiting for someone to make a bell that reproduces the ‘brown note’. As nothing makes people take note than shitting themselves.

tthew

On yeah. Surely all the old dears worked in Iron Foundries and Spitfire factories in the war?

Sparksmcguff and trail rat. Wave if you see me commuting, (Silver Genesis Day One with mudguards and drop handlebars).

Bregante

I have found a front mounted Nerf N-Strike Vulcan EBF-25 Blaster is more effective than a bell.

That is definitely going on my Christmas wish list.

seavers
    Free Member

I’m waiting for someone to make a bell that reproduces the ‘brown note’. As nothing makes people take note than shitting themselves.

While hilarious I would not look forward to washing that off my legs after the ride.

fenred
    Free Member

I think you may have just met my mummy! 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Ickle cow bell works a treat.

Jamie
    Free Member

While hilarious I would not look forward to washing that off my legs after the ride.

You can’t have a war without collateral damage, soldier.

emkay
    Free Member

anyone know an electronics expert who can modify the hornet to output in the ultrasonic range – [/url]

JoeG
    Free Member

Same problem here in the US. Some walking 3 or 4 side-by-side like they’re the only people in the world that use the trail. Headphones – sure. Dogs on lead – yep. Wandering back and forth across the trail – why not? 🙄

I generally mirror the attitude of the other trail users. If they’re courteous, acknowledge the bell or whatever, I slow and say hello or similar. If they’re in their own self centered little world, then I assume that its fine if I do the same and don’t slow or do anything else to interrupt my ride. 😈

I do an ‘excuse me please, cyclist to your right’ from about 20 ft in a loud and cheery manner.

Doesn’t always work and some seem not to know left from right.

Only time recently I haven’t done it was when a family were cycling towards me with walkers going away. I just slowed to a suitable speed to allow them both to pass each other – as they could see each other. Then I’d negotiate the walkers.

Inexplicably the cyclists slowed down to a virtual standstill so I had no way between them and the walkers. I didn’t particularly feel the need to thank them for anything and received a tirade of abuse from the father.

antigee

a pleasant 40miles or so today and almost all on mixed use cycle paths almost without incident – the only totally unpredicted behaviour was a proper roadie unexpectedly using the entrance to a car park to pull of the road look out at the view and have a drink of water whilst sat across and at right angles to the off highway path – I dropped off the kerb behind him I can only assume my lack of team kit made me invisible

a helmetcam and a few cyclinggaz style questions would have been handy

crazy-legs

The dog thing got me last night as well. Riding home along the canal towpath, not blatting along at all, just a nice steady ride. Every one of the dog walkers would invariably stand on the opposite side of the path to their dog. The up-until-then unconcerned dog would then stop, look at the owner and decide to join it (or, worse, the owner would call it over) and the stupid mutt would then run right in front of me.

Now I like dogs but I’m sensible enough to give it a clear order and to be on the same side of the path.

Same with walkers, you get a couple walking along and rather than both move to one side, they dither – one goes one way, one the other way to stand on opposite sides. Then you get the case where the wife suddenly decides to join her husband just as husband has exactly the same thought and tries to join his wife – result is that they move straight back into the path! 🙄

Just **** stand still! Stop, stand still, wait for me to pass, carry on. Really not rocket science.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s quite funny when they both turn and walk into each other

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

you have a mouth, use it.

cheaper than a bell. adjustable volume to!

johnellison
    Free Member

you have a mouth, use it.

cheaper than a bell. adjustable volume to!

^This.

Plus it’s all well and good moaning about everyone else being a set of twunts and having no consideration, but IME cyclists/MTBers are the worst culprits of the lot for behaving like they own the trail. 99% are miserable bastards and have zero consideration for anyone except themselves.

People in glass houses and all that… 👿

Painey
    Free Member

Had an incident a while ago going down the steep-ish descent from Leith Hill tower towards summer lightning. As I got into the woods, about halfway down the hill, a large group of people were spread across the whole width of the trail, which is pretty wide around there. I moved to the very edge of the trail, they didn’t budge. Only when I got close did they jump out of the way and give me abuse.

They had seen me coming from some distance away and had plenty of time to react, yet didn’t bother. Only when forced into moving did they actually do something and then felt the need to shout at me.

No bell or anything else would have changed the situation. They just never saw it necessary to move from the position they were in. I always make a point of being courteous to walkers and doing everything I can to give them sufficient warning, but that just went to prove that some people just don’t give a toss.

D0NK

People in glass houses and all that…

well 100% or grumpy ****s are human beings so I guess I can’t complain about anything ever eh?

Walkers with dogs wandering off the trail hidden in long grass, Grrr, you can see me coming, you know where your dog is, why do you stand at the opposite side of the trail to where you dog is, make no attempt to warn me there is a dog off the lead, wait for me to ride between you then get all uppity if your dog steps out infront of me?

<edit>

I moved to the very edge of the trail, they didn’t budge.

mate had this on mam tor, plenty wide but the line of walker wouldn’t budge. I’d have gotten off my bike – making me twice as wide – and deferred to them (but still make them walk around me) play by the rules and still beat them at their own game.

bentudder

I always slow down and say Good Morning or Good Afternoon. A few years ago I was with a group ride on Holmbury on a big wide bridleway, approaching a large extended family group from the rear. Said a cheery ‘Hello! Lovely day!’ (It was, and in December, too) and got a grump from the grandmother of the group about my lack of bell. I replied I’d much rather slow down and say hello. At which point the parents waded in and told the gran to ‘stop being such a miserable bugger.’

Second one – riding along some canal path somewhere with a couple of others. We saw a group of Proper Hikers approaching (Red Socks, walking poles, the lot) and pulled in to let them past. One of them started shouting ‘No Bell! No Bell!’ at us. Response ‘And a very Happy Christmas to you too – although it is June.’

The long and short of it is that I can definitely see a use for bells – I use the one on my Brompton daily – but offroad, I’d much rather use my voice and give a cheery greeting than announce my presence with a sound – it’s a bit like beeping your horn at someone in front of you who is driving slowly. Comes across as a little pushy. And of course, if it does become a legal requirement (something the RA pushed for a while back, and possibly still do) it will kick off an arms race of ‘who has the loudest bell / air horn / electronic klaxon. Which will probably really pee off the same people who’ve been demanding it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘'Why didn't you ring your bell' said the grumpy old lady…’ is closed to new replies.