• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Why did On One stop making the Van Nicholas 456?
  • hora
    Free Member

Seems like a great frame, probably better made by far than the first attempt so why did they stop making them? Here’s my ‘new’ one

m0rk
    Free Member

That looks bloody lovely.

And I’d just managed to convince myself I don’t need any more bikes

BB looks high though?

pickle
    Free Member

I understand a new one is due for release soon

hora
    Free Member

I’m using 650b forks for now from my other bike so with the 26″ forks (DT Swiss EXM150) they’ll be lower. Thing is it doesn’t feel like a high BB, sag?

Interest to see/hear on the V3.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Crap material to make a “hardcore” mountain bike frame from.

ulysse
    Free Member

You’ll pray for a higher bb when you’re striking every rock and root while climbing Rocky Road and Home Baked up Gisburn 😉

ulysse
    Free Member

By god, i miss my Inbreds now after looking at this 😥

Rik
    Free Member

Lynskey one was 100 times better. Plus it was before Lynskey lost the plot and got a worse rep than crack’n’fail

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Dunno but if it’s anything like as good as my Lynskey one it’ll be a hoot. It’s “hardcore” enough for me and the trails at Innerleithen but “hardcore” is a crap phrase. I hope this one’s a keeper.

hora
    Free Member

Rik subjective. How heavy are you? I could flex the BB shell laterally alarmingly by stomping on a pedal/one side. No wonder the rear triangle weld snapped/ended up being bridged.

Keeper? There’s nothing really out there ‘cheap’ and light that has the comfort.

vmgscot

I had the mk1 Lynskey which promptly snapped at the rear stays (brake side).
    On One gave me a new Van Nic frame which I still love riding. I found it ‘comfy’ like the mk1 but improved steering – which I guess is the tapered fork and larger diam tubes?

Only thing I wish for is someone could make 142 through axle swapouts.

Rik
    Free Member

Rik subjective. How heavy are you? I could flex the BB shell laterally alarmingly by stomping on a pedal/one side. No

11.5 stone and the best frame I’ve ever owned, had it for 5 years, sold for the mk3 which was naff in comparison.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I had the 456 lynskey. Now have the titus fireline, also sold by On one. Its a 29er but way better with 34 floats set at 130m.

hora
    Free Member

Rik at the time I was c15-15.5 stone. I don’t think it liked heavier riders.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

My Van Nicholas ti 456 died from a crack in the head tube weld that propagated into the down tube. Pity.

Northwind

They realised it was too far away from their core values- it’s not a proper on one if the paint doesn’t fall off overnight.

davidtaylforth – Member

My Ragley Ti disagrees, perfect metal for the job- good weight, strong, not overly stiff like the alu version was nor heavy as a building like the steel. Damn nearly perfect.

br
    Free Member

I’ve still got a Mk2 Lynskey (braced brakeside), nothing wrong with it except I can’t put a set of Pikes in.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You have definitely jinxed yourself there Northwind

Northwind

I sold it so I’ll happily jinx someone else 😆

(tbh I wouldn’t have been surprised to crack it; not because ti but because lynskey.)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

phew!

They’re certianly repairable though, there was a golf shop selling a load of them on ebay……

hora
    Free Member

Asked that seller a few reasonable questions recently about a used c456, not a reply back. Mind you they were detailed questions.

Northwind

You do not want to buy anything from those guys.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

In fairness, On One never made any 456. They did sell them though.#

The Lynskey one looked great and felt wrong. I never did get on with it. Then it broke.

The replacement broke, too.

The replacement’s replacment I sold before it broke. Which it did.

I got a Van Nic Mam Tor that all the reviews said was made with the wrong geometry. But rode well, didn’t fall to bits, and was a good comfy Ti bike.

I’d try the Ti 456 if I was in the market now.

Stevet1
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

It’s addictive. I had 3 Ti frames crack on me, and yet – I spunked over a grand on a new one (to fit 26″ wheels no less) after talking to the designer. 2 1/2 years and hundreds of drops / jumps later it’s still my favourite bike.

hora
    Free Member

I looked at the Mam Tor, it only goes upto 120mm fork though doesn’t it?

pickle
    Free Member

140 I think for the mamtor

hora
    Free Member

Man maths or actual? 😆

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Why did On One stop making the Van Nicholas 456?’ is closed to new replies.