• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by wors.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Why Carry a bike up Swirral edge – Helvellyn
  • fergal
    Free Member

When you can quite easily walk – push up the back, seems to be the in thing lately.

a. they are lost ( and having an epic)
    b. a right of passage for all wannabe mtb adventurers.
    c. aspirational marketing hype.

Will this lead to more tubby weekend warriors getting out of their depth.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Has someone done this? I’ve not heard of doing and certainly wouldn’t contemplate it.

aracer
    Free Member

Because it’s there

ton

kepple cove nearly did me in….a very severe walk. 😀

Sancho
    Free Member

get fergal the mtb god looking down on all he surveys

****@r

fergal
    Free Member

personally i think it is c, aspirational marketing hype.

Last winter there was a promotional video from hope, with two of their young stars battling up the edge in a blizzard after taking a wrong turn, they were inadequetly dressed and clearly hypothermic.

The latest Singletrack magazine has an advert double spread of dudes manfully carrying thier bikes up Swirral, i guess this is a trend now?.

matt_outandabout

Is this the Saracen ad in STW?

fergal
    Free Member

Yep

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Saracen ad I know of with Manon Carpenter and Sam Dale is on this bit of the Birk Side descent.

Which is just a good, legal, fun bike ride.

Swirral doesn’t sound enjoyable, and any bike advert using a photo of people carrying their bikes is doing it wrong (see: Total Women’s Cycling)

aracer
    Free Member

Quite impressive to get hyperthermic in a blizzard.

slowoldman

Quite impressive to get hyperthermic in a blizzard.

It’s the effort of carrying the bikes.

fergal
    Free Member

to late, corrected.

boxelder

Too…..
    😉

fergal
    Free Member

cripes the grammar nazis have descended.

I was being a tad tongue in cheek, maybe see you at the weekend, i’m thinking of carrying my bike along the Aonach Eagach to descend Clachaig gully 🙂

matt_outandabout

😉

rickmeister

Well as a younger and stupider MTb artist circa 1986 and working at OB Ullswater, I might have carried a Marin Nail trail up Striding Edge to ride down off the top via the zig zags to Kepel Cove….

Once.

chakaping
    Free Member

seems to be the in thing lately.

Do go on…

thekettle
    Free Member

If you want to start and finish on the Glenridding side, Swirral is the quickest route to the Helvellyn summit. Most folk want to tick the summit and descend Sticks Pass Eastward, so it gets both those things done in a loop without any out-and-back riding. That Hope video definitely made it more popular, I know of at least one visiting rider ascending Striding Edge instead due to navigational error 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

As kettle said. Easiest way

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Yep, used to go up that way all the time-if you can shoulder a bike it really isn’t that difficult. Wouldn’t attempt it with an icy surface or high winds though! Don’t think it was technically more difficult than shouldering up to Nan Bield from Haweswater-just the consequences of getting it wrong are worse.

nixie

Don’t think it was technically more difficult than shouldering up to Nan Bield from Haweswater

That climb is bloody hard work!

matt_outandabout

rickmeister – Member

Well as a younger and stupider MTb artist circa 1986 and working at OB Ullswater, I might have carried a Marin Nail trail up Striding Edge to ride down off the top via the zig zags to Kepel Cove….

Once.
    In 1990/1991 I too may have lugged a Raleigh up there, or a borrowed Clockwork from Lester Noble at the Yacht club up there (ex Glenridding Sailing School boy here). Along with many other inappropriate hills and routes in the are. 😳 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not the hardest thing in the world to carry up,

wors

I carried mine up the other year. The hardest thing was waiting for all the tubbies to climb the last bit to the top of Helvellyn, then I could get up. 😆

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Why Carry a bike up Swirral edge – Helvellyn’ is closed to new replies.