Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Why can't uppy-downy seatposts have suspension too?
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Seems like most of the gubbins is there already, and it would be good for hardtails at least. There’s plenty of forks out there with travel adjust and lockout, so why not seatposts?

qwerty
    Free Member

+1 a threshold setting would be cool.

DrP

Mine has about 2 inches of nice plush bounce.
    It’s a reverb.

I think it needs a service…

DrP

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bushing wear? One thing to move up and down 10-20 times in a ride, another thing to do that every minute.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 DrP

Feels quite unnerving tbh, not sure I’d want it as an actual feature.

shermer75
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Bushing wear? One thing to move up and down 10-20 times in a ride, another thing to do that every minute.

So how do the bushings in the forks and shocks cope?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I guess because we’d want rebound adjust on it, then Crane Creek owners would want a million setting to play with, Fox owners would wants Kashiwhatsitcalled and blue and red anno knobs and they’d end up costing £800 and weigh twice what they do now.

I’ve gone said it now haven’t I?! someone from SRAM R&D (aka Marketing) will read this and next years reverb will come with UltraplushBoost dampers to take the trail buzz out of riding, but sadly they’ll only be the metric 30.0 size so whilst riders of Cove’s from 2009 to 2011 might rejoice, I’m afraid the early adopters of metric shock frames will need another frame.

otsdr
    Free Member

So how do the bushings in the forks and shocks cope?

In all fairness, the ones in the post are diminutive compared to the fork bushings…

I wonder how many psi would it take to make the post act as suspesion and what would happen if… containment of the post would be breached.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buy a FS instead?

shermer75
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Buy a FS instead?

Good suggestion but I think it’ll only work for the people who don’t want a hardtail

rickon
    Free Member

Good suggestion but I think it’ll only work for the people who don’t want a hardtail

I’m a bit confused, at what point do you want suspension for your ass? Going uphill is when I’m sat down on a bike, and generally, I flick my compression damping to max.

When I’m descending – I’m stood up.

Am I missing something about hardtail riders? Do you sit down when descending? What situation is the suspension you want in the post actually for?

bigjim

My crank brothers dropper has 40mm of suspension travel 8)

RobHilton
    Free Member

What situation is the suspension you want in the post actually for?

Sus-seatposts are awesome for **** up your pedal stroke! They need some telescopic crank arms to really nail it though :mrgreen:

mattyfez

Why stop there? May I present the suspension stem!

Suspension stem

bigjim

I wanted a Flexstem so badly in 1993

shermer75
    Free Member

My apologies, I meant people who don’t want a full sus, or want a hardtail. I’m more than a little dyslexic unforts….

RobHilton
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rickon +1

What do you think this would actually improve shermer?.

bigjim

I have to say I think 20mm of firm suspension in a seatpost wouldn’t be a bad thing on a hardtail. USE still make their suspension post so people must buy them.

I’ve got an old USE XCR on my ’97 Lava Dome – it’s great for taking trail buzz out of your backside/back on rough, pedally flat tracks. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it messing with my pedal stroke – at least not to the point where it’s annoying/inefficient

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

All of this is rather silly… why not have your cake and eat it with comfort beyond just the bike?

shermer75
    Free Member

That’s a lot of comfort…

cookeaa

Sort of a pointless as a concept really isn’t it?

Either you’re the sort of person who rides like a sack of spuds, arse on seat at all times, or you want a dropper that allows you to move the seat a bit out of the way to move about on the bike when the terrain get a bit more challenging…

I can’t really imagine who it would appeal to, doubtless it’ll get made and marketed new and be a “revelation” to us all…

bodgy
    Free Member

@cookeaa – not really. If you ride hardtail the extra comfort can be brilliant. If you also have to tow a child & trailer bike off-road on occasion, it’s pretty much essential.

bodgy
    Free Member

Got my old USE SX and a brooks Cambium on my Pine Mountain 1 – super comfy!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I got a lot of use out of a Cane Creek Thudbuster many years ago. But the point of that is that it isn’t a telescopic design, it’s a forwards/backwards parallelogram.

For those unsure of the point: unless your trail is “just” up, followed by down, you do sit down a bit on non-smooth stuff. I had a very bad back at the time, and the Thudbuster was the difference between being able to ride and not.

🙂

richardthird

As if the bloody things aren’t troublesome enough! Brilliant, but troublesome.

Run bigger tyres with less air in.

alcolepone
    Free Member

Better yet..

a dropper posts the drops on button press….

if they can get little motors in seat tubes, why not use one to low the seat.

they should be called raiser posts not dropper posts….

stumpy01

Weight?

Suspension seatpost is quite a bit heavier than a normal seatpost
    Dropper post is quite a bit heavier than a normal seatpost

Quite a bit + quite a bit = a lot

There you go. Reasoning with maths to prove it!

mrblobby
    Free Member

For much the same reason rear suspension designs where the bottom bracket moves relative to your saddle are considered a bit rubbish.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Why can't uppy-downy seatposts have suspension too?’ is closed to new replies.