Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Why can't I fit my SLX cranks
  • thered

Apart from the fact that I'm a numpty.

The spindle won't go all the way through for some reason, any help greatly apreciated.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Maybe the BB cups are misaligned? Or maybe it wants a mallet? My mate's Ultegra did yesterday.

thered

It's been whacked pretty hard, don't think it's cup misalignment cos I tried to fit the cranks with the old XTR BB in there but it still had the same prob so i stuck the new BB that came with the cranks in.

jordie
    Free Member

My slx is pretty tight and needs a good greasing the a smack with a block of wood and hammer.Take a step back and take off the bbs and see if they fit off the bike then if they do put it all back together

steveh

Have you definitely go the right number of spacers in for the bb shell size?

thered

What difference would the BB shell size make to the spindle? The problem is the spindle isn't going all the way through the bottom bracket. I could take the spacers out but surely the plastic shell inside the BB would then be crushed when I tighten everything up?

There appears to be a collar at the bottom of the spindle next to the chainrings that won't go into BB.

undapressure
    Free Member

Had a problem with getting mine all the way through, had to disconnect the chain, put the crank through then reconnect the chain. Fitted perfectly then

dano
    Free Member

if you cant get it in, dont force it… shimano have good qc and im sure nothing is wrong with the cranks… i would get it done by a bike shop if you are not confident…

thered

Does anybody know if the collar is supposed to be at the drive side end of the spindle and if it is supposed to be there should it fit inside the BB?

singlespeedstu

You've not pulled the black plastic cover out of the drive side bearing have you?

If you have remove it from the axle and carefully push it back into the bearing.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

as long as the bb is installed right it will go in. they can be a little tricky most of the time they just nee a good old wack. rubber mallet is the fella. its a good idea to have something over the bit your going to hit to stop the rubber marking it. good luck

thered

Black plastic cover from bearing cup still in place. This is quite annoying now.

steveh

I'm not sure I quite understood right but if you had too many spacers on the bb shell then this would make the overall dimension too long which could've been the problem.

Now you mention a collar though, could you get a pic up? None of my shimano cranks have anything that i'd call a collar on them.

jackal
    Free Member

Not sure what this collar is you speak of, i've only fitted the double and bash ones, but can't recall a collar…?

thered

Steveh & Singlespeed stu you are geniuses, thank you.

When I've fitted the cranks into the old BB that was in the frame it hasn't gone so I've popped the cranks out and slapped the new BB into the frame, the cranks have however pulled the plastic cover out of the old drive side BB cup and then i've been trying to reinsert the whole thing into the new BB cup!

Hmm getting this off wil be interesting

thered

Off!!!

And the chainset sildes into the BB like it was going into a mother of 7, sweeeeeet.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Ha Ha this is so funny Did you not even notice that the top hat cover thing was stuck on the crank axle! I don't think you are in the same boat just yet as the lady who installed her forks the wrong way round and complained that her feet were catching the front wheel, when she turned the bars!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Why can't I fit my SLX cranks’ is closed to new replies.