Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why can't I find Brazil Nuts anywhere?
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

The last couple of years have seemed to have a distinct lack of Brazil Nuts. Can’t find any anywhere. Plenty of hazlenuts, walnuts and pecans etc but no Brazils.

Anyone got any ideas why?

Macavity
    Free Member

I ate all the chocolate coated ones… no idea where all the other ones went….
    squirrels?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sounds like the beginning of a cracker joke to me.

Q. Why can’t I find Brazil Nuts anywhere?
    A.
    Someone tell me the punchline!

McHamish
    Free Member

I thought I’d try to help buy finding instructions on growing your own brazil nuts, but the instructions I found had the following as the first step…

Preserve an area of rainforest where Brazil nut trees can sustain. If the area has been decimated, allow several years for the ecosystem to rebalance.

So it depends on your budget really.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get Argentinian nuts instead. Much tastier.

lipseal
    Free Member

BRAZILLLLLLLLL!

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I think they mostly come from wild trees. Probably all been cut down by now 🙁

McHamish
    Free Member

I think they mostly come from wild trees. Probably all been cut down by now

Yup…the site i found said that commercially available brazil nuts come from the wild.

can-uk
    Free Member

Doesn’t it have something to do with the shell’s being poisonous? Thought i’d read that a few years ago..

EDIT: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080328153313AAB6t9U

stumpy01

Yeah, wasn’t there an EU ruling or something as the shells are poisonous so now you can only get shelled ones…..?? My favourites – there’s something IMMENSELY satisfying about shelling a whole brazil nut!!

Sainsbury’s near me are doing packets with all the healthfood nuts/dried fruit by the front of the store where all the sandwiches are stored.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A local healthfood shop sells them, shelled though. Dead nice and good for you (i think). I had 8 today!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

must agree that our two local super markets have stopped doing seperate nuts, just bags of mixed. hugely annoying.

mid you if you struggle with brazil’s try finding decent, the ones with ‘california’ stamped on them, californian walnuts. non in west cornwall at all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why can't I find Brazil Nuts anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.