Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Why bike touring is so special.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sipping tea watching the sunrise over Kansas.

wors

Lovely, planning a small trip next year, Can’t wait.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Looks great Pete, are your pics online?

pedalhead
    Free Member

fantastic. got any more details/pics of your trip?

druidh
    Free Member

Looks pish – not enough hills 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

4300 miles across ten states in around seventy days of riding. I couldnt upload pics to the blog below with my ipad but will do so when I get a minute.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/8912

I still have a big batch to download and sort through, but here are some meantime.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mcmoonter/TransAmerica2011#

mustard
    Free Member

Nice one McM, we’re off in 3 days!

p.s. I was hoping to have a productive day in work today – I’ve already read Druidhs blog and now i’ve this to get through – bang goes that idea!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Looks ace Mcmoonter, been enjoying your blog 🙂

But seeing this has made me more excited about our trip and more distracted today *three more sleeps to go* *jumps up and down*

Diawl
    Free Member

My wife, step son and I rode the length of Nova Scotia for charity back in the Spring. Big effort on her part as she’s not a cyclist per se. I loved it and my mind keeps wandering back to it. We bumped into a guy who had ridden solo from San Francisco to NS and was on his way to Vancouver.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Kansas?

It was bad enough driving through Kansas, I’m not sure I could manage biking without dying of boredom.

fasthaggis

Read your Blog McM ,great stuff.
    In the process of planning a roon the coast of Scotland for next May.
    Looking forward to it. 🙂

ton

fantastic pics and blog moonter…….. 8)

i have got to be honest, i enjoy touring more than mtbing nowadays.
    and offroad touring is sublime……. 😀

Sue_W
    Free Member

Looks like a superb trip – will be settling down to read you blog later!

Canada tour looks ace as well.

Ton – I agree, I prefer touring to mountain biking now. Love the sense of going on a journey, and exploring different places as I go.

Taff
    Free Member

That is pretty awesome to be fair. Was reading the Graeme Obree book who tells stores of touring and that got me thinking about doing at some point.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

‘Kansas?

It was bad enough driving through Kansas, I’m not sure I could manage biking without dying of boredom. ‘

Kansas was a surprise.

Folks in Kansas are the friendliest I’ve ever met. We’d be taken into people’s homes to shelter from the heat. A lady drove us 100 miles to see the tornado damage in Joplin. We stealth swam in the Eureka city park pool. Were fed like kings by the firemen in Newton. A couple of girls we met were even taken on a flight in a plane in Kansas.

We rode early in the mornings for a couple of hours in darkness to beat the heat. Seeing the sun rise over the prairies is spectacular.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Looks pish – not enough hills

We climbed the Hoosier Pass in Colorado – 11500 feet and crossed the continental divide about a dozen times. Kansas was welcome after the Appalachian mountains, the rollers of Kentucky and the Ozarks in Missouri.

ebygomm
    Free Member

the rollers of Kentucky and the Ozarks in Missouri.

For a state with a high point of 540m there’s a surprising number of roller coaster roads in Missouri 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I’ve promised myself its something I’ll do in my 40th year, fancy spending a week in scotland exploring.

flip
    Free Member

Awesome pics, 254 is mega i love that big sky thing 😉

ebygomm
    Free Member

Looked at the photos first and then read the blog, now realise why it looked familiar. Used to live fairly close to Farmington, MO.

Don’t tell me you passed through Chester without taking a photo with the Popeye statue?

Farmington Walmart used to be our idea of an exciting day out 😀

And Johnson Shut Ins, getting all nostalgic now!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Don’t tell me you passed through Chester without taking a photo with the Popeye statue?

I resisted the temptation.

Farmington has a great biker hostel in a restored jail house. Every eastbound rider we met was raving about it. Showers, laundry and WiFi, the holy trinity! Oh and a $6 all you can eat Chinese buffet a block away.

Group pic with Gary and Chris, a couple of English riders we rode with for a three or four days.

charliedontsurf

Best days of my life are when I am on the road. Never has so little, never been happier.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can’t whack a bit of touring

HermanShake
    Free Member

I like her tan lines 😉

mustard
    Free Member

Up to day 72; waiting for your saddle to disintegarate!

jp-t853

It really looks great. My MTB has been converted in to a tourer and I can’t see it going back except for the odd ride. The freedom that comes with cycling from one place to the next and only having what you can carry on the bike is wonderful.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Up to day 72; waiting for your saddle to disintegarate!

It’s a cliffhanger.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Why bike touring is so special.’ is closed to new replies.