• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by skids.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Why aren't there any medium sized OLED TVs
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’d love a new tele to replace my aging plasma (10 yes plus) and the OLED sets are stunning but way too big at 55″ minimum.

Will there ever be 40″ OLED sets? And why aren’t there any yet

Not interested in Samsung Q LED.

andyg1966

OLED is still an expensive technology so will trickle down to the smaller sets …

Still pine for a new Plasma!!

hammyuk
    Free Member

There are plenty of 40-42″ OLED ones about.
    You still won’t see any change from £2k though

My Viera Plasma is still perfect(although sat in the spare room) and has far better tones than the one that replaced it.

andyg1966

“There are plenty of 40-42″ OLED ones about”

Ooh show me!! Its black Friday soon!!

Flaperon

There are plenty of 40-42″ OLED ones about.

No there aren’t!

angeldust
    Free Member

One reason is because 50″ is now seen as a standard size (like 40″ was a few years ago). 40″ is now regarded as a ‘small screen’ believe it or not.

OP is wrong to disregard Samsung QLED which are excellent imho.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I suspect it is because they’re still trying to establish OLED in the market and there are probably little benefit/advantage at OLED over conventional LED LCD sets at smaller screen sizes but a significant cost increase, so they’re probably focusing on the larger panels where they can charge the higher prices and OLED solves the problems and short comings of LED LCD at those larger panel sizes.

I don’t think they ever made small Plasma sets either for a similar reason. It’s about deploying the right technology for the specific application.

angeldust
    Free Member

Yep, generally speaking the bigger the screen, the more noticeable the difference in quality.

jimw
    Free Member

40″ a medium TV?!?

Our main tv is 22″, 12 years old and is perfectly fine for us.

Must be behind the times on the technology front ( again)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Stood in Media World in Rome last week in the middle of dozens of OLED’s!

OK – the Sony 88″ at €19999 was a little excessive BUT I’ve never seen anything like it!
    Right next to it was an LG 42″ OLED, there were several Sony’s in that size range too, Samsung, etc.
    MInd the LG was still the best part of €4k so that might be why you aren’t finding any in the uk as yet.

5lab

OLED is inherently a pricey technology (at the moment) – it might be that, given minimal savings possible in downsizing, most people would just pick the larger set anyway. >£1500 for a 40″ tv is hard to stomach

johndoh
    Free Member

I saw one of these in John Lewis yesterday – the screen is the speaker!!! OMFG!!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Our main tv is 22″, 12 years old and is perfectly fine for us.

I wonder if anyone else in the family thinks this??

Do you all sit huddled up on a single sofa in front of it then, shoulder to shoulder and a few feet away from the set ?

Movies must be an immersive experience !

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They made plenty of 42 inch plasmas.

hammyuk
    Free Member

johndoh – thats the one that was in MediaWorld – have a video of it on my phone – the demo running is of some japanese guy blowing glass.
    Literally an inch away from it and there is zero – and I mean ZERO pixelation of any kind. Its like being right in front of it lappening.
    Even the test card simulation it opens with is seamless.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

They made plenty of 42 inch plasmas.

Ours is 37″

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Literally an inch away from it and there is zero – and I mean ZERO pixelation of any kind. Its like being right in front of it lappening.
    Even the test card simulation it opens with is seamless.

Problem is, the bandwidth 4k that will be broadcast would actually deliver a better HD video than it will 4k. It’ll be better than the HD they broadcast at the moment but don’t expect SkySports to look anywhere near as good as the demo.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yes, there is a massive difference between watching Sky Cinema ‘HD’ and a good bluray, but they are using the same number of pixels…

Stupid public don’t care though, as long as the specs are right they will buy it.

skids
    Free Member

a 40″ plasma from 10 years ago is probably bigger than a new 50″ TV

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Why aren't there any medium sized OLED TVs’ is closed to new replies.