Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Why aren't all product reviews this honest?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh 😀

After color-anodizing all of my stem bolts, headset spacers, my seatpost clamp, and my pedals in the same cardinal red color swatch, I realized that I just had to have the new Iodine wheels from Crankbrothers. Sure, Mavic also offers straight pull spokes that I won’t be able to find in any of my local shops, and of course Easton has poorly engineered hubs that come loose and destroy themselves in the process, but nobody offered the complete package quite like CB. I need to know that nobody who’s making working class money can afford to run the same wheels as me, and Crankbrothers gave me that confidence.

RustySpanner

Superb.

Someone on here will already have a pair.

onandon
    Free Member

Just send this link when the next person asks if CB wheels are any good 🙂
    Sums them up perfectly

oldnick

Bookmarked TeamRobot to help pass the time during the festeringtivities, good find 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Great stuff! 😀

br
    Free Member

Brill.

I still never understand why anybody buys other than Hope Hoops once they can afford them. And if you’ve more money, buy two pairs and run different tyres.

adrec
    Free Member

Absolutely fantastic!

JCL
    Free Member

He’s right. Utterly crap wheels.

brooess
    Free Member

I took my iPod into an Apple store to get some help with a suspected dry joint in the headphone socket which leads it to go onto pause all on its own.
    Apparently they’re designed so they can’t be fixed…
    Options:
    1. Buy a new one for £160
    2. Buy a reconditioned one for £90

If you can’t get into it to repair something as simple as a dry joint, how come you can sell reconditioned ones?

Consumers can be quite dim sometimes. Or maybe we just have too much money…

One of the great things about bikes is the basic technology (frame shape, bearings, chain drive, wheels etc was 100% spot on from the start and despite billions of £ and $ spent on trying to improve it, what we ride these days are fundamentally the same as the Rover Safety bicycle from 1888…

Rover Safety Bicycle

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Excellent.

Running a LBS it’s a huge source of frustration that manufacturers don’t back up their products with spares availability.

deadkenny
    Free Member

JCL – Member
    He’s right. Utterly crap wheels.

Despite my issues with them, now everything is sorted I actually quite like my Iodines. They are tough, and hold on tubeless really well when I see many other riders constantly burping or blowing their tyres off and having many other hassles with the tubeless set up.

Aside from the swiss cheese nature of the freehub, after servicing the rear hub entirely recently I realised they’re basically the same kind of design as Hope which everyone raves about. So much so that the instructions for the like of Hope are basically the same. The old hub design that had the ‘flaw’ is fixed, though I’m not sure about the latest revision where they’ve cut the pawls down to three. Not sure that’s a good idea,.

They are lovely bling. They are tough, and they harder to get out of true. They require care and attention when it comes to the hubs, but it’s all standard cartridge bearing stuff so easy to service.

The big downside however, as the above, is the spare parts, or lack of them, and CB’s reluctance to repair but rather only replace the entire wheel. A bigger issue if it’s out of warranty and you wanted a replacement rim for example.

A struggle for me to go for any more CB wheels though. That said, seen quite a few of my friends with big issues with Mavic wheels so that’s struck them off my list also.

maxtorque

brooess as the Rover Safety bicycle from 1888…

It’s surprisingly “Slack” that RSB^^^, Almost DH slack in fact! 😉

boxfish
    Free Member

Aside from the swiss cheese nature of the freehub… …They are tough

Make your mind up! 😉

I also fell hook, line and sinker for the original Iodines. I’d like to think I was an “early adopter”, but the reality is that I was just a gullible, marketing-man’s dream customer. Inevitably, the freehub exploded soon after. They were repaired under warranty and I got shot.

gwaelod
    Free Member

This is an honest review too

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFWM0CFO0UMWY/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=downandoutint-20#RFWM0CFO0UMWY

I want to start this off by thanking Kleenex for selling these in 36-packs. I’ve put it on subscription, and if they want to start selling a 72-pack, sign me up. I have three reasons for needing this much Kleenex, and their names are Liam, Samuel and Hank.

This is how it goes in this house. First the Kleenex disappears. Then the toilet paper. Then they go for fabrics. And you don’t want it to get there, unless you’re ready to invest in a five gallon drum of Fabreeze.

This used to be a good Christian home. But it’s not about moral judgment anymore. I’m way beyond that. I’m in survival mode. If I don’t supply absorbent paper products, I’m going to find my dish towels hidden in the basement, stiff as aluminum. The other day, I almost cut my hand on a sock. I am sorry to speak so frankly, but with three teenage boys, a woman has got to be practical.

The funny part is, they think they’re being sneaky, with their 45 minute showers and sudden need for “privacy”, as if I’m going to walk in on them journaling. They slink around the house like unfixed cats, while I try to announce my location at all times. No one needs to ask me to knock anymore. I knock on the walls. I practically wear a cow bell. I’m not looking to catch anyone by surprise, believe me. I’m just trying to get through this.

The other day my husband was watching me unload the groceries, and he asks me, all sweetness and light, “Honey, what’re you doing with all that Kleenex?”

I about knocked him off his chair.

tazzymtb

I still never understand why anybody buys other than Hope Hoops once they can afford them.

BECUSE THEY’RE NOT THAT GOOD, REALLY RATHER HEAVY AND COMMON AS CHUFF?? 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

boxfish – Member
    Aside from the swiss cheese nature of the freehub… …They are tough
    Make your mind up! 😉

😀

Well the freehub is swiss cheese but the only issue there is the cassette eating into them (or stripping the lockring thread if you use steel lockring on ali freehub thread). The rims, hub and spokes however are tough. Yes the hub bearings need servicing now and again. As do many other brands. That doesn’t stop the wheels being tough when you chuck them about. It’s just the seals are perhaps a bit crap 😉

To be honest though, the wheels came with the bike and did sweeten the deal. I wouldn’t have chosen them otherwise probably.

crusty
    Free Member

Does anyone else now really want one of those safety bicyles as per maxtorque’s link?

Or is it just the cloudy cider thinking…

ampthill

COMMON AS CHUFF

Is that a disadvantage in a product?

kudos100
    Free Member

Bookmarked TeamRobot to help pass the time during the festeringtivities, good find

One of my favorite blogs, the writing is hilarious.

Amusing review of the new DVO fork:

http://theteamrobot.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/this-is-awesome.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When asked about rim replacement, Van Sosen responded “Who has time to track down a replacement rim anyway? If I get a small ding in my rim and can’t seat them up tubeless anymore, I would just be buying a new wheelset anyway. What, am I going to hang around a bike shop… like an animal? That was the main thing that turned me off on Enve wheels: sure they’re expensive and that’s great, but the standard j-bend spokes and completely serviceable DT and Chris King hubs just had ‘bike shop’ written all over them. If I can’t buy it on my I-pad, then no thanks.”

Sums up most What new wheel threads, I got some wheels that have some hubs that will last 10 years but I have no idea that they can be disconnected from the rims so what new wheels please I’m about to throw my 18 month old hope hoops in the bin as they got dinged…

CountZero

brooess – Member
    I took my iPod into an Apple store to get some help with a suspected dry joint in the headphone socket which leads it to go onto pause all on its own.
    Apparently they’re designed so they can’t be fixed…
    Options:
    1. Buy a new one for £160
    2. Buy a reconditioned one for £90

If you can’t get into it to repair something as simple as a dry joint, how come you can sell reconditioned ones?

Consumers can be quite dim sometimes. Or maybe we just have too much money…

Umm, have you tried getting any consumer electronic product fixed? I had a lovely 21″ CRT monitor attached to my Mac for doing Photoshop work on some years ago, which went on the fritz after a couple of years. Managed to get it fixed, for a fairly considerable sum, but had to Chuck it in the skip when it went wrong again, as the manufacturer didn’t keep spares for products more than five years old. The monitor cost £2000.
    The Mac, on the other hand, is still in use as a server at the place I work at now, a different company. It’s around thirteen years old.
    Oh, and a reconditioned one means it’s been fixed by replacing the faulty circuit board with a new one, in the old case.
    Consumers can be quite dim, sometimes…

passtherizla
    Free Member

Oh, and a reconditioned one means it’s been fixed by replacing the faulty circuit board with a new one, in the old case.

Erm… No it doesn’t.

clubber
    Free Member

Very good and I have to agree with the general sentiment about most factory wheels

This bit was great 🙂

“As the expensive, flimsy, and needlessly
    complicated segment of the MTB wheel market
    heats up, Crankbrothers is excited to meet the
    demand head on with our new 2014 line-up. Of
    course real riders determined long ago that the
    only reasonable option for wheels was to build
    cheap rims onto a solid, rebuildable hub with J-
    bend spokes, but with the recent influx of
    doctors, bankers, and lawyers into the industry,
    we needed to offer a flashy fully color-anodized
    option for riders with lots of money, poor taste,
    and little to no common sense. With our 2014
    wheels, I think we knocked this one out of the
    park. And come on, why wouldn’t we release
    these wheels? We’ve had all the CAD drawings
    and tooling since Kirkaldie was still racing.”

Trimix
    Free Member

Its such a good artical and so true of CB products. Ive tried a few egg beaters, they looked great, but in practice they just let me down.

But having spent my own money on them I tried for ages to justify/like them. Finally one dark wet muddy ride when the flipping thing failed, again, I went home in a sulk and bought some Shimano replacements.

Ugly but functional, half the price and last way longer.

Marketing is brilliant though. Its the magic ingrediant you add to shite to make it desirable. People buy the marketing not the product.

* Googles CB website to look for more brilliant marketing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Why aren't all product reviews this honest?’ is closed to new replies.