Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Why are there no “How do I get rid of mice” threads when you need one?
  • geoffj

crispybacon
    Free Member

have a word with ‘stuckinarut’ – see his thread below – & ask if you can borrow his mice killing machine :o)

johnhoo
    Free Member

simple

get a cat

ironbrucove

Seconded for a cat, also gets rid of rats, and other peoples cats!

Q
    Free Member

Standard mouse traps with peanut butter as bait. Get a few and place them where you think is their normal run. You may see droppings (look like small black grains of rice). I saw one go down the side of the washing machine so that’s where I left the trap. The mouse would have had to vault the trap to get through but instead decided the peanut butter looked good.

Had my first kill yesterday, poor things head was so caved in I couldn’t get it off the trap and had to bin the lot.

In two minds whether I’m a heartless killer or I just don’t want my electrics chewed and my house on fire!

Simon

simple

get a cat

We’ve got a cat. It brings live mice into the house and lets them go. Does the same with birds occasionally.

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I think I had them a couple of years ago, I say ‘think’ because I never saw any, or any droppings, just found a carrier bag with a loaf of bread in that I’d left in the hall completely ransacked one morning! Mentioned it at work and a woman with a small farm like place said she had some rat/mouse poison that would do the trick. I put little piles of the crystals out a couple of nights in a row and they vanished, next night I was cutting some cheese and thought I’d give some to my little ‘friends’, cut in to cubes and encrusted with the poison(all the better for taking back to the nest)! 3 cubes went overnight, 5 the next night and 5 the night after ……. then they were still there the next night, and the next!

People warned me that I might get nasty whiffs if I used poison, but never smelt a thing, and haven’t had any more visitors!

I’d bought some traps, but didn’t fancy listening to them snapping shut at all hours, or removing the victims!

trailmonkey

We’ve got a cat. It brings live mice into the house and lets them go. Does the same with birds occasionally.

That’s a really crap cat.

taka
    Free Member

get a 22rimfire rifel with shell shot shells and go hunting but make shure you dont get stinger or subsonic ammunation or you will have 3inch” holes everywhere

Polly
    Free Member

we have mice in our understairs cupboard… bought some ‘humane’ traps, but all i seem to be doing is feeding the mice our leftover christmas cake… the bait goes, traps are sprung, but no mice… think i will have to lock the cat in the cupboard for a night or two….

matthewjb
    Free Member

Another vote for a standard trap and peanut butter as bait.

For anyone who thinks mice are cute, I have some heavy duty ring main cable that they chewed through. After several weeks of power cuts we eventually found the damaged cable before it caused a fire.

Drac

Sick mice in the forum search and there’s plenty.

Shuggito
    Free Member

Remember there is never just one mouse usually 7 or 8.They are daft and always follow the same route unless chased by a big **** off cat so wherever the droppings are thats where to leave the traps.Forget leaving cheese in the traps they may be foreigners or lactose intolerant,jam or peanut butter as stated before is the way to go although the wee barstewards tanned a full box of maltesers and half an easter egg that we left in the garage.They also chewed through the toe on my £80 rock climbing shoes for building materials for their nest.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I do think they have nice snuffly noses.

Main problem in my place is little buggers waking me at night, playing games above the plasterboard ceiling. I can’t get to where they are with a trap because it’s underneath loft floorboards and 300mm of insulation quilt. Not managed to tempt em out yet.

What about these sonic things. – Any good?

nostoc
    Free Member

I had mice in my ceiling and I solved the problem by putting mesh over the end of the drainpipe where they were climbing up and getting in under the eaves.

squin
    Free Member

My garage had mice in it. Had the road bike turned upside down and the little sh1ts stripped my grip tape. Got some bait from Focus and after about a week, no more bait kept being eaten. I actually like the little buggers, but they do terrible damage to property. Get ’em out!

nick1c
    Free Member

The sonic things worked for us ……….(crosses fingers)…….Get several & try to put them where the mice can get in. I reckon there is no shortage of mice looking for a nice warm home so killing them is likely to be a never-ending job. Making your home the kind of place they hate is more likely to work I think.

Drac

I rang the council they sent out the pest controller who put down some proper poison cost me **** all.

antigee

? them there sonic things – are they the ones you plug in the mains?
    if yes
    Q1 do they upset the guinea pigs (aka the squeaky boys)?
    Q2 (bizarre) if you run a pc network across yr mains does it screw that up?

brakes
    Free Member

we’ve got mice in the floorboards – you can hear them nibbling every now and then. tonight we heard them squeaking.
    one night last week I heard them falling down the wall cavity.

I guess there’s not a lot I can do if they’re not IN the flat, just under, over and around it?

brakes
    Free Member

they’re now IN the flat – I saw one scurrying around near the kitchen bin last night and could hear it in the cupboard

tonight there may be some inhumane deaths in the brakes household 👿

Phil_H

Nutella works in standard traps.
    I’ve removed about half a dozen corpses from my loft.
    Looks like they’ve moved out now the warmer weather is here.

mrmo
    Free Member

got a cat, doesn’t bring live mice in, but it does bring in live rabbits….

maybe our cats have too much choice, stoats, rabbits, pheasants, black birds, robins, sparrows, blue tits, frogs, slow worms, lizards, worms, mice and voles.

She lives by the two rules of hunting, if it moves it is fair game, if it doesn’t move, make it move.

johni
    Free Member

Raisins work for our mise. They got wise to peanut butter.

brakes
    Free Member

caught the bugger last night in the trap – peanut butter did the trick
    nice clean kill too, right across the back of the neck

can’t help but feel a little sad though 🙁

MrAgreeable

Brakes – perhaps this will help. Remember, it’s you or them.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

We have had loads of problems with the little buggers. Had a pest guy some round who got rid using poison but they did come back.

I found the only way to really get rid is to make sure they cannot find any food, we now put everything in tupperware boxes. That made a dramatic affect on the nunber of times we found droppings etc.

I even put a shelf up in the kitchen which was about 10 inches from the ceiling to keep cereals etc, the buggers even managed to get up there, the only way they could have is by somehow climbing up 8 foot of smooth wall !!!

As Nostoc said, you need to make sure they cant get in, lots of chicken wire under the eaves or in any holes in walls etc.

One time we borrowed a local farms “ratter”. The spaniel spent an hour in our garden and must have killed at least a dozen mice !

sturmey
    Free Member

We have mice in the loft at the moment so have bought a trap. First night the mouse took the bait but did not spring the trap. Last night at 6pm reset the trap with chocolate spread again but put some on the little trigger plate this time. Returned home after going to (plug) trouties to have my new light wired up 1000 lumens in a housing no bigger than a deck of cards (plug) at 10.30pm checked trap first kill. Reset and will check tonite. chocolate spread is the way to go.

eckinspain
    Free Member

We went for the all-out approach:
    Call the council and get them to put down their proper nasty poison and do a couple of return trips too.
    Set normal traps with peanut butter where you think they are.
    Find where they are getting in (any hole that you can fit a pencil in is big enough) and stuff it full of steel wool – they hate and can’t chew through it.
    Buy those sonic plug-in things.

and remember you don’t have to kill them all – you just have to make your house less attractive than next door!

MrAgreeable

The previous tenants at my new gaff let them pretty much take over the kitchen. We caught two last night.

Traps that break their back are a lot more humane than the “Little Nipper” ones that slam shut on their head, but the old skool ones seem to be working the best so far. Baited with cheese too.

brakes
    Free Member

will be going through the cupboards tonights to work out if they’ve been nibbling on old packets of pasta
    I don’t think I”ll ever be able to block all the entrance holes up but will put some poison down
    aren’t the sonic alarms just line-of-sight? doesn’t stop them running round under the floorboards or in the walls

brakes
    Free Member

not seen a sniff of a mouse for 5 days and then one shuffles past the kitchen at 8pm when there are two of us in there 😮

taking the piss

traps will be back out tonight and poison down tomorrow

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Nuke em from outer space – it’s the only way to be sure!

gringerd
    Free Member

we used little nipper traps baited with peanut butter.
    That seemed to deal with our mice.

Our Jack russell just seemed to let the mice steal the food from his bowl.

mickib33
    Free Member

We live in a basement Condo and have mice in our flat ceilings. We put fluffy insulation up there, which I now know they breed in. We had noisy upstairs neighbors. The neighbors have since moved out. we also had put in new wiring and new ceiling light fixtures. When I saw droppings in the light globes, I unscrewed the fixtures and discovered the back insulation was chewed and behind the fixtures were clumps of droppings. The Mice are in the kitchen, the pantry. I am an insomniac so; I see them and hear them, as they are nocturnal. The new wiring is coming out, and the ceilings coming down. I am putting up acoustic foil because they don’t like anything metallic. And the other insulation will be removed and new board will go up!! I have tried traps, poison….You can’t get them as fast as they breed. I am convinced the extreme, aggressive approach is the only way. Also, everything in the pantry is getting thrown out, and cedar walls and shelving going up. They hate the smell of cedar. An expensive proposition, but, I will not share my home with Mice!!! I also heard of a house fire recently, caused by mice chewing through the wires. These are disease carrying, harm rendering RODENTS, and no laughing matter!!! 👿

kaesae
    Free Member

You simply have to be ruthless and kill them, they are disease carriers and capable of doing great damage, including starting fires.

If you’re using new traps, rub food onto them to mask the smell of the metal/wood. Also use different baits depending on the circumstances.

If the mice nibble for example cheese or other bait on the traps, then use something that will take longer to eat, like chocolate to increase the chances of the trap being released.

I have two traps 2 feet from each other, at first the mice ignored them because the where new, however I replaced one trap with one that is years old and the other was brand new so I put it into some soup and left it for 24 hours.

I haven’t had any mice for about 1 month, that said I’ve killed about 9x in a 4 month period over the winter.

+1 for the little nipper traps, a good design that works well.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Mice seem to be getting wise to traditional traps i recently got rid of a number of mice with one of those bird house type traps.

kaesae
    Free Member

Just leave a small container with beer/whisky out, once the little bastards are a bit tipsy and become brazen, WHACK!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Why are there no “How do I get rid of mice” threads when you need one?’ is closed to new replies.