Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • why are new bike soooo much more money than that used to be fun
  • ben10
    Free Member

After many years of riding my frame and fork are showing there age iv been looking at some new bikes in my local bike shop seem so much more money than when i got my lefty why such a high price tag

watsontony
    Free Member

they will charge what the middle age I.T managers are willing to pay. 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

its the new golf innit

leffeboy

Come over to the dark side Luke, you know it is your destiny

(or at least being middle aged is 🙂 )

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What kinda bikes you looking at??? I have a feeling you are comparing chalk with cheese.

br
    Free Member

Inflation, QE and commodity price increases – name me something that hasn’t gone up over the last 5-10 years?

Northwind

£300 buys you a hell of a lot more bike than it did 20 years ago (I’ve had 2 £300 Carreras, one from 1990 and one from 2009 😉 ). And £2500 gets you a bike that couldn’t exist 10 years ago. So I guess it’s all progress really. I’d sooner have a fairly basic entry-level bike from today than the best bike in the world from when I started riding.

6079smithw
    Free Member

£300 buys you a hell of a lot more bike than it did 20 years ago (I’ve had 2 £300 Carreras, one from 1990 and one from 2009 )

Well that’s your fault for buying Carreras.
    A mid 90s GT Talera at £300 back then kicks the arse of any £300 bike today.

wrecker
    Free Member

Everyone knows roadying is the new golf.

boxelder

Lots of secondhand bargains to be had on golf clubs and brolleys underused bikes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Everyone knows roadying is the new golf.

I think its probably both. These days, having a “stable” of road and mountain bikes is the new golf.

Northwind

Rose tinted glasses? Or just haven’t ridden any modern budget bikes? I remember those GTs, they were good at the time but I’d have that little Kraken any day of the week.

ampthill

I think its valid point by the OP

I’ll give the usual answers

weak pound

higher prices for raw materials and energy

despite the recession good demand in the bike sector. My bike is coming up for 3 years old. That year the counry seemed to sell out of extra large bikes. Not an insentive to drop prices

I’d keep a patient eye on ebay and here. My bike was £500 off for being ridden once.

Oh and keep an eye on Paul’s cylcles etc.

tomhoward

£300 buys you a hell of a lot more bike than it did 20 years ago (I’ve had 2 £300 Carreras, one from 1990 and one from 2009 ). And £2500 gets you a bike that couldn’t exist 10 years ago. So I guess it’s all progress really. I’d sooner have a fairly basic entry-level bike from today than the best bike in the world from when I started riding.

Nail. Head. 11 years ago I spent £1500 building up a hardcore hardtail, azonic ds evo frame, z1 wedge fork, v brakes, non disk xt hubs, 9 speed xt/lx drivetrain and a 3pc crank. It weighed a ton and although it was fun to ride, a bike of the same price would be 7-9lbs lighter and a damn sight more advanced technically, Or a bike of the same spec would be half the price.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Inflation, QE and commodity price increases – name me something that hasn’t gone up over the last 5-10 years?
    POSTED b r – Member

TV, cameras, laptops …..

ampthill

Items subject to Moore’s law are of course bucking the trend

However entry level DSLRs are better, but cost more, than they were say 5 years ago

Lenses in general are just more money

fasthaggis

why such a high price tag

Have you seen the price of cheese!
    I used to buy loads of cheese years ago ,now it just seems so pricey,and cats,cats used to be cheap now it’s a fortune,and kids.Time was ,when kids would happily play in a corner with a cardboard box ,a cat and some cheese.
    It’s all just getting out of control I tell yeah . 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘why are new bike soooo much more money than that used to be fun’ is closed to new replies.