• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Why are my tyres so expensive?
  • matt_outandabout

On our little Seat Ibiza estate we have 215 45 r16’s. Blimey they are big and pricey for such a small car.

Why?
    (And where can I get some decent ones cheap…?)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

blackcircles

matt_outandabout

Crap, wrong forum. Sorry mods, can you move?

RustyMac

we have had a polo and now have a Seat with the same size tyres what do you class as expensive?

Last time i bought i went for these Hankook’s and then got a local independent tyre fiter to fit them for 12.50/corner.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/hankook/ventus-prime-2-k115/215-45-r16-90v-456867

they seemed to perform as well as the Conti or Perelli ones we had in the past.

matt_outandabout

I think I am used to the Yaris that was £50ish a corner. Suddenly £80-90 seems steep… Especially as that is what I pay for the Galaxy tyres.

RustyMac

A ha, i must admit to being surprised when my mum could get premium tyres for her Jazz for £50 a corner but hers are not low profile and are a chunk narrower than the ones on our Seat.

Lower profile = spendy

jamesfts
    Free Member

Lower profile = spendy

I think it’s more unpopular sizes = spendy, 16

I pay about the same for 225/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1, maybe see if another similar size is more popular, plenty of online calculators to work out rolling radius etc.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You wanna try run-flats, a mere £255 a corner

davedodd
    Free Member

Yeah, but run flats are horrible Steve. Make the ride really uncomfortable.
    We insisted on non run flats on the Mini.

Daffy

215s are an unusual width. Try running 205/50/16 which is a more common size. The change in diameter is ~1.8% which is well within the acceptable 3% and should save you between £50 and £80 on a set of premium tyres by either Dunlop or Goodyear. Should be a more comfortable ride too.

I did this on my Wife’s Panda 100HP. The official Goodyear GSD3s 195/45/15 tyres are almost £100 a corner. Goodyear Eagle 195/50/15s were £48 a corner and increased the diameter by 3.5%…technically above the recommended limit, but well worth it. More grip, more comfort and less cost.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Have a look on mytyres dot com.

benman
    Free Member

My Ibiza estate has literally just failed its MOT today on a rear tyre.

Been quoted between £55 (Zeta) – £95 (Dunlop) for 215/45/16. Doesn’t seem too bad?

maccruiskeen

I think I am used to the Yaris that was £50ish a corner. Suddenly £80-90 seems steep… Especially as that is what I pay for the Galaxy tyres.

£80- £90 is also what I pay for the gigantic, hurley burley tyres on my Sprinter too. Its not a size or materials or complexity of manufacture thing – some tyre profiles are more fashionable than others and are priced accordingly.

My Astravan can wear either 175/70/14s or 205/50/16s or several sizes in between (not on the same wheels obviously) and theres nothing meaningfully different about the tyres or how they are made but like for like the latter size will be roughly double the price of the former – for no reason other than the latter will be fitted to higher spec, more option-laden models so tyre manufacturers expect that the owners of those cars will pay for style over substance. As it is I’d struggle to spend more than £30-£40a corner on the 175s

mindmap3
    Free Member

I wish tyres on ours were that cheap! The last pair of rears we had were £400 or so through black circles.

It’ll be down to them being an odd size.

Have you tried the online places (Blackcircles, Event Tyres etc)? If you can find someone willing to fit tyres that you supply, Camskill are normally really cheap.

zero-cool
    Free Member

If it’s the same as the GF’s old Ibiza it’s a slightly odd size. Local tyre company had them from about £50

Sui
    Free Member

OPONEO is your friend.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s=1/summer/t=1/car/r=1/215-45-r16

Black circles also good.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Why are my tyres so expensive?’ is closed to new replies.