Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Why are my brakes always soft and unresponsive?
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

After struggling to stop in time at some lights today, it occured to me that my brakes have always been useless. Always struggling to get them to work effectively. I’ve got a disc brake at the front and V brakes at the back. Both are spongey, requiring the brake levers to be squeezed as hard as possible, almost touching the grips before I slowly roll to a stop.

What am I doing wrong? I’m always fiddling with the adjusters etc. I can sometimes get the front disc brake working a bit better. But it seems to get worse again very quickly.

crikey
    Free Member

I think you’ve got ladies hands.

andy7t2
    Free Member

i’d start by changing the cables and outers, change the brake pads, bed in front pads, clean rim on rear brake and if they are still sh*tlook out for a new set of brakes

jambourgie
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve changed the cables and pads loads of times. It’s almost like something’s bottoming out and the brakes just aren’t gripping too good. Could be the outers. What can go wrong with them?

“Ladies hands” 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

have you got the right amount of cable pulled through? make sure the barrel adjusters are wound in when fitting a new cable. also check that the disc pads havent been contaminated with any oil etc which would render them useless. for the rear brake you might want to check the rim itself…check that its not worn to the point wear the rim wall is now weakened and the pads pushing onto it isnt causing it to flex inwards when braking…youll have to remove the tyres for this but if the rim is worn them you should replace it ASAP.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Why are my brakes always soft and unresponsive?’ is closed to new replies.