Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Why Are Mountain Bikes So Expensive?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If i was earning less than £35k a year I’d deem my life a failure

😀 awesome trolling

packer
    Free Member

I just had a look online and discovered that I could buy a bike that does everything I would ever need for around £1000.
    Or I could get last years model or a second hand one for considerably less.

That does not seem expensive at all for what it is – in fact it seems like a bargain.

doom_mountain

Its the whole ‘want vs need’ debate again

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes and I suppose to some people mtbing is cheap enough to want, and buy, all the things you don’t actually need. Which manufacturers must love.

Yes, and a bike gets you 15kg of materials, a car gets you around 1500kg!!

Low weight and miniaturisation is expensive. Who wants to ride a heavy bike!?

Design can be expensive, tooling can be expensive but you find most raw materials are sold by weight. A car contains 100x more material.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I just had a look online and discovered that I could buy a bike that does everything I would ever need for around £1000.

Thats great.

But I think if you work in IT you automatically have delusions of grandeur. You’ll spend most of your time riding round flat trail centres but your planning an alps trip in the year 2021 and you’ll be reaching world cup race speeds down the road from the Les Gets to Morzine.

Therefore you need to have the latest most adjustable MEGAVALANCHE forks/shocks/seat posts/brakes/gears

donsimon
    Free Member

Special77 is Shibboleth and someone owes me a fiver.

35k+ per year and you can’t afford to put enough petrol in it to drive to work, where’s Nelson Muntz when you need him?

bigjim

Oh and whilst we are at it, could everyone please stop buying tyres that cost more than car tyres? Can’t you see they are taking the p!ss charging these prices? Its a strip of rubbery canvas.

Sir, Sir, bigjim just avoided the swear filter. Tell ‘im Sir.

richmtb

Dunno, a 1k Boardman looks like pretty good value to me.

special77
    Free Member

never said I can’t afford fuel but for amodern car would expect better than 29mpg in a 1.6 petrol compared to my 3.6.

As someone above said it is the ‘want vs. need’. No point getting angry that some things in life are beyond your reach just because you don’t earn enough money, plenty of people do.

£1k boardman is good value but I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than ride one.

special77
    Free Member

My car tyres are £175 each, my bike ones are £30, whats your point bigjim?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Sweet, me too, the pins in the eyes thing I mean.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve paid more for a bike tyre than I have for a car tyre. Mind you that was for a super fast tub for my TT bike (which also wears out in no time 🙄 )

GEDA
    Free Member

I would never pay over 1500 for a bike. There are so many decent second hand bikes and parts going around that you would be stupid to pay anything more for the performance gain. For example I picked up a pair of next to new forks 2010 for £240. New price £600. Most of my bike is made up of second hand parts.

I bought a lovely Cannondale MX for £500. New bikes do seem a bit pricey but aren’t things priced liked that so they you think you are getting a bargain with a 5% discount?

grumm
    Free Member

I’ve paid more for a bike tyre than I have for a whole car – anyone beat that? 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

my friend sold a car for (cheap) a bottle of wine…

specialized camber:

bargain.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If I was that bothered about money, and what ‘status’ it gave me, I’d deem my life a failure.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£1k boardman is good value but I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than ride one.

Lordy. You really are a stuck up so-and-so aren’t you? I feel sorry for you in a way, but I’m just glad I’m not like you more than anything else.

Mark

I’ve failed… Everyone at ST has failed! The last ten years has all been for nothing… Bugger!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just had a read back through this whole thread, as I’d not read it all.

Is it just me or is this Special77 character spouting some of the most incredible bilge I’ve ever seen, even for STW?

DaRC_L

and with his sn linking through to a bike shop in Eastbourne…class

time to bring out the billy goat gruff 😉

ojom
    Free Member

I just punched myself in the face for being a TOTAL LOSER in life Mark, it’s ok, it only hurts the once.

Clong
    Free Member

Thing is, you just know that special77 is going to pop back on this thread and say “Ohh, i knew that comment would get a few backs up…”

He probably stares in the mirror in the morning chanting “Your a winner”

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve always liked TVRs and the attitude of their late owner, Peter Wheeler, and I foolishly assumed their owners would be decent sorts…

There are plenty of bikes out there for reasonable money. I may or may not be able to afford the priciest ones out there but for me, at the moment, the cost:satisfaction ratio is better lower down the scale. Likewise with cars – until I get all the slow moving cars in front out of the way, a more exciting and more expensive quicker car would be too much of an exercise in frustration for the extra cost to pay back in driver satisfaction.

I do find a TVR owner using the word ‘plastic’ as a pejorative downright bizarre…

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I keep hearing about IT workers with 3k bikes in trail centers – when did they stop being spotty fat nerds with no social skills??

onereallynicespeed
    Free Member

Oh and whilst we are at it, could everyone please stop buying tyres that cost more than car tyres? Can’t you see they are taking the p!ss charging these prices? Its a strip of rubbery canvas. ive always thought this as well.

donsimon
    Free Member

Is it just me or is this Special77 character spouting some of the most incredible bilge I’ve ever seen, even for STW?

Surely not?

and with his sn linking through to a bike shop in Eastbourne.

So not Shibboleth then, but obviously from the same ‘how to alienate your customers’ school of business.

ononeorange

What’s wrong with 1970’s Triumphs?

rhys
    Free Member

Someone has probably said it already but too many posts to remember. Most people (if they were so inclined and were willing and able to scrimp on other things) could buy a top of the range mtb, but very, very few could come close to a top of the range car, Aston Martin anyone? It completely baffles me how there are so many £40 000 plus cars out on the road

bigjim

It completely baffles me how there are so many £40 000 plus cars out on the road

Yeah but look at the average person who drives these kind of cars, they haven’t exactly got there working for the overall good of humanity and the planet have they, they are no 1, etc, etc.

Chadders
    Free Member

Hahaha @ the guy saying “if I earnt less than £35k my life would be a failure” – Classic, bet you wish you hadnt said that!

Just on the subject of cars, and in responce to bigjim. I think thats a tad unfair, my Dad has worked very hard and now has 2 Aston Martins, but he is genuinely the nicest, kindest and generous man you could ever meet!! I think its the people who have their cars on finance and costing more a month than their mortgage who are the silly ones, and probably the ones with the personality like you said.
    You can almost spot a knob by what they are driving, but it doesnt mean that everyone with an expensive car is a .

[Post edited due to unacceptable language. Mod]

backhander
    Free Member

Yeah but look at the average person who drives these kind of cars, they haven’t exactly got there working for the overall good of humanity and the planet have they, they are no 1, etc, etc.

That’s as lame a comment as the 35K one.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well my _ _ _ _ is the biggest/best/most satisfying, oh hang on Special77 just turned up 😆

Quite why we don’t all just own up to being ‘Gods of Gnarr’ and ‘Sultans of Shred’ and admit we must have the uber tech bikes on offer to meet our outstanding riding skillz I don’t know, then this topic never even start 😆

I to am a failure as my basic wage is less than £35k 😡

si-wilson
    Free Member

– however a top end set of golf clubs will be in the several thousand pound mark

= rubbish.

Sonor
    Free Member

– however a top end set of golf clubs will be in the several thousand pound mark

= rubbish.

Yep. Golf is rubbish.

pypdjl
    Free Member

POT! KETTLE!!

loddrik
    Free Member

Makes mental note…

special77 is a complete c&ck!!!!!!

I really can’t believe I read the £35k remark…

I’m 37, with a good postgraduate education and am unemployed, how much of a failure does that make me…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

All those nurses and key workers must stink of FAIL!

Nope. Go & look up a band 7 nurse.

Cock.

Worth a ban…

Oh yes!

This guy sounds like a knob, perhaps he is an ex Apprentice candidate, or even worse Stuart Baggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sslowpace
    Free Member

special77 = Gareth Cheeseman

Chadders
    Free Member

I particularly like the bit where he said he wouldnt want a plasticy car.

errr but last thing he said before that was that he drives a TVR… and errr they are made out of plastic

what a

[Post edited and warning given for more unacceptable language. Mod]

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Why Are Mountain Bikes So Expensive?’ is closed to new replies.