Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Why are cycling socks so expensive compaired to normal socks?
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Really, why are they so much more expensive than normal socks?

nickc

Cyclists are mugs for "funny" socks?

Cyclists will believe any old guff about anything if written in technical terms?

Cyclists are stupid?

tinsy
    Free Member

Lidl ones are great, really comfy and cheap too…

trail_rat
    Free Member

endura do 3 x pairs of coolmax socks for 9.99
    2 x pairs of thermolite winter socks for 9.99

Good deal i think

nuke

I bought a load from Decathlon…they do the job nicely.

speaker2animals

It isn't just cycle socks, all activity socks are expensive. Excepting your Lidl/Decathlons etc. I have a load of Smartwool socks and wear them all the time. Much better than normal socks but admittedly probaly 4x the price. Any kit aimed at hobbyists probably attract excellent margin as they sell at what the market willpay.

You pays your money… Etc.

cxi
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

what he hell are cycling socks?

Bridgedale socks for when its cold, socks from the sock draw when it's not. HTH 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

* cough *

Aldi

* cough *

AndyP
    Free Member

no socks 10 months of the year, Woolie Boolies when it gets quite cold. All you need.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The only cycling socks I have is a pair of SealSkinz. And they are rubbish.

I do usually dig out the one pair of running socks I have (which were free with the running shoes I bought) if going on a big ride because they do feel dead comfy. Other than that, it is M&S sports socks every time.

MrAgreeable

*Insert droll remark about Cheesyfeet's username here* 🙂

stumpy01

Woah!! Sealskinz are rubbish!! No way! Surely one of the best ways to keep your feet dry in the winter – especially if you are wearing tights with them as the water doesn't run down your leg into them.

Coupled with some overshoes on really wet/cold days & lovely toasty feet is the result…..mmmmmm!

Anyway….back on topic. All activity specific socks seem expensive. We were looking for some for the other half at the weekend and some of them were £11.99 a pair!! Ended up getting some basic socks from Tescos – 5 pairs for £5 and they seem to do the job.

I just wear Next trainer socks for cycling.
    I think walking/running would be the only activity where I'd consider 'proper' socks, as blisters are a real pain. Never had a blister cycling though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Coupled with some overshoes

I prefer simply thick warm socks with overshoes. Just my personal preference – I just find SealSkinz simply hold in moisture and end up clammy.

votchy
    Free Member

Sorry but another vote for sealskinz are rubbish – worn under or over tights, with shorts with winter boots or summer shoes always the same result – wet feet and don't get me started on how much they shrink if you wash the cr4ppy things!!!

Polaris socks have done me ok for not too much money

Sam

Are they? Cheap ones can be had for less than £3 a pair, nice ones cost a bit more just like normal socks isn't it?

soobalias
    Free Member

http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/merinowoolcyclingsocks.htm

for all seasons, comfy, hard wearing

i have two pairs of sealskins for winter, they havent shrunk in the wash (oldest pair are now 5yrs) and are 100% waterproof.

Ok that time i tucked my bib/longs into the socks was a bit of a disaster, but since then, no problems. I find that with trousers the water is fully diverted outside the boots/socks and that with shorts ingress is minimal and certainly much less than with normal socks.

ourmaninthenorth

I have yet to work out how my Sealskinz get so wet, even on the driest winter days. Yes, I've done the fill-them-with-water-and-see-if-they-leak test, and the pass that. Very odd.

This year, I'm thinking strongly about thick wool socks and winter boots/shoes and, if on the road, overshoes as well.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Always used to ride around in std cotton socks, then I had a couple of pairs of smartwool adrenaline's merino-polyester mix given to me by a rep, they were a revelation! When they fell apart I tried some polaris ones, but they don't fit anywhere near as well, then found some almost exact copies of the smartwools in Kathmandu own branded, in the sale, so bought a basketfull. Bingo.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sealskinz: Water runs down your leg and gets trapped inside.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Lidl ones are great, really comfy and cheap too…

got 4 pairs 2 weeks ago – great socks!

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

Soobalias is right, those Garburn ones are brilliant, really comfy, keep your feet toastie-warm in the cold and don't get all stinky after a few hours like Sock guy ones do. A sensible price at Bikemaps too, especially if you buy 3 pairs.

I find the Sealskins are really thick and uncomfortable, and they can fill-up and be waterproof the wrong way in nasty weather, not one of my better purchases 🙄

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Why are cycling socks so expensive compaired to normal socks?’ is closed to new replies.