Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Why 32:16?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Instead of 20:10, 30:15, 40:20, etc. etc.

Is it something to do with balancing ground clearance with chain life/reducing chain slipping? Or did some bearded bloke just decide that 32:16 would be the standard one day?

angryratio
    Free Member
    Militant_biker

Maybe because most middle rings are 32 and that makes it an easy conversion? Plus someone told me that 32 is the smallest you can have on the middle ring position.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Standard middle chainring size is 32 teeth innit.

RealMan
    Free Member

Ok, cheers all.

scaredypants

is it because they’re weak, both physically and emotionally ?

34:15 is where it’s at

(err, in the new forest) 😳

edhornby

and using the middle ring position gives you the best shot at a good chainline

poppa
    Free Member

Job 32:16

Shall I wait, because they do not speak, Because they stop and no longer answer?

igm

Is that because they are so far behind and knackered on the climbs?

druidh
    Free Member

igm – Member

😆 Best post of the week!!!

epicyclo

igm – Member

No, they hang back out of consideration.

Gears are for the old and frail and it would be impolite to barge in front of such a person.

rp16v
    Free Member

20:10 – ever tried fitting a 11t cog to the middle of a cassette body?
    30:15 – doable but would need to buy a new ring inted of current middle
    40:20 – not much in the way of log clearance

it works and if fine so leave it. 😛

wwaswas

I have weeds knees and thus run 32:18

“The weak shall inherit the 18 toothed cog”

ahwiles
    Free Member

another 32:18 pansy holds his hand up in shame.

i do live in sheffield tho! – please understand and forgive me.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have 42/20

bakey

32:18 North Wales

clubber
    Free Member

Because many ss evangelists like to have ‘rules’ and requirements so that those not in the clique can be laughed at.

Or just because 32 is standard and 2:1ish is the ratio at works for most people.

Edric64
    Free Member

Most people blindly put up with standard gearing without ever knowing about gear inches or that 42/21 is the same as 32/16 or 60/30.I can remember pouring over gear charts in my youth before going to the shop and picking my choice of sprockets off the wall display to get exactly the gears I wanted,those were the days

thomthumb
    Free Member

bigger is better in terms of wear/ component longevity

smaller is better in terms of weight/ clearence

32:16 is a nice comprimise

interesting surly article here

ds3000
    Free Member

32:17 here.

schmiken

36:16 in flat old Suffolk.

Anthony
    Free Member

Ridden 2:1 for years but have always prefered the additional overlap and reduced wear of 36/18 and the 18T sprockets, King in particular, look nicer imo.

Coyote
    Free Member

36:18 here.

I had a 36 ring on the bike and the singlespeed kit I got had a 16 and an 18 ring. I chose based on the 2:1 ratio. It works for me.

postierich
    Free Member

32:17 in Cannuckshire in the wet
    32:16 in the dry

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

32:22 ftw.

jonb
    Free Member

48:16 here, but that’s on the road and have the standard 32:16 on my mtb.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I’ve tried using the 32:16 on my conventional gears for a whole ride just to see how I get on, I can appreciate the simplicity of not having to think about gear changes, I also appreciate it can present a challenge of different approach and way of thinking altogether when riding over techy terrain, up hill switchbacks etc..

But the ride to get off road is a few miles for me and I found that utterly monotonous, having to freewheel on flat areas, would only go SS if I was driving the bike to the location.

Tempted by the thought of a 3 speed Sturmey Archer though. 😉

Militant_biker

But the ride to get off road is a few miles for me and I found that utterly monotonous, having to freewheel on flat areas,

Yep – it’ll do that! I ride 3-5 miles on road each way to get to my rides, and it’s a little tedious, but it’s a price I’m willing to pay. It is pretty nice scenery on the ride, so that makes it tolerable. Having no other option also helps! When I occasionally commuted on 32:16 (if I was going out at lunchtime/after work) then I hated riding through town.

And riding 32:16 on a geared bike just somehow isn’t the same. I found it a lot easier on the true singlespeed.

steve_b77
    Free Member

32:16 on my SS MTB and 42:16 on my SS commuter, that’s what they came with from the shop. MTB one suits me just fine, road might go 46:16 to make things a little more fun

Matt_SS_xc

because everyone else does….no i mean i chose 32:16….people must have copied me!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

34:17 – Coz it is what I had

mattsccm
    Free Member

Because thats meant for girls.
    42/18 on my SS Cx in the not so flat FoD.
    No off to chop a few trees to BBQ a boar.

Keva
    Free Member

when I had a 32:16 singlespeed I found that it was only any good for undulating woods and stuff. It was rubbish on the road or anywhere that required continuous pedaling for any length of time, spins out too soon and makes you look like coco the clown. So I gave it to my brother, he loves it.

Kev

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

30:20 on the Mendips. You know what? I can actually climb a lot of stuff (until I go blue). I tried 32:17 and got fed up with the stopping and walking on long climbs. Each to their own.

Lionheart
    Free Member

32:17 here on 26″ and 32:19 on 29″ get up most things around here when I am on a good day

bassspine
    Free Member

1) 36/19 for me in hilly Devon
    2)it was the size of chain ring I had lying around
    3) it’s gear inches that are important sayeth the prophet Sheldon Brown.

Blower
    Free Member

2:1 of a 36-18 here up in Yorkshire 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Why 32:16?’ is closed to new replies.