Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Why 160mm rotors on new disc brakes?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

My 2004 hope mono minis could do with being overhauled, but when I see I can get a new pair of Hayes for £150 I do start thinking that maybe an upgrade is a better idea?

The only question I have is that a great many of them coming with 160mm front and rear rotors. Now my hopes have 160 rear and 180mm front. Are large front rotors no longer required?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Hayes won’t be an upgrade though, they’re crap. Much better off getting your Hopes fully serviced

vancoughcough
    Free Member

My Hayes Stroker Trails have been brilliant.

kimbers

just get yours serviced by hope

theyll be better than those hayes

Mackem

A pair of Shimano SLX would be a good option at that price. (I have these and Hope Mono Minis).

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I have some SLX, LX and some 2004 Mono Mini. You can get some XT ones for about £130 from Germany. That’s where I’d go. Will be selling the Mini’s soon, and yes 160/160 is fine for normal use.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

you don’t even know which hayes he’s talking about? so how you can say they’ll be better is beyond me.

jools182
    Free Member

Hayes have been the most faultless brakes I have had, and I have tried Hopes, Avids, and Formula

I think the old HFX hayes got a bad rep, and consequently everyone thinks they are crap, when in fact its nonsense

jamj1974

I would go for Hayes over Mono Mini’s. I would also stick with 180/160 as you have now.

orangeboy
    Free Member

You could keep your 180 front rotor and use in with a new brake if you wanted
    Nothing wrong with modern Hayes brakes
    But if it was me I’d fix the hope ones you have

Conan257
    Free Member

I’d stick with the hopes…

I think a hope service is £44 an end, full service with seals/pads etc.

Or it’ll cost you about £20 for seals + pads + labour.

toys19
    Free Member

to answer your original question:

I have found that recent brakes are so powerful that I have downgraded my rotor sizes on allbut my DH bike, and tbh I could get away with it on my dh bike. 14 stone fat git..

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Whilst I have gone the other way and uprated mine to 200/180. Bigger rotors just seem to give me more control!

I would just get a set of Shimano brakes of your choice, keep the existing rotors and mount them up to suit. Not a big job, and the SLXs I have on my hardtail do seem really very good (they are on 180/160 come to think of it). When I get around to needing a replacement for the Avids that came on the Whyte I will probably get another set from the big S

robhughes
    Free Member

Absolutely love my stroker trails.Iv,e had them since 08 and they’ve been faultless.Loads of power and great lever feel once you get used to them.Mine can chuck me over the bars… 😉

flanagaj
    Free Member

These are the ones I was thinking of. With the extra 10% off they come in at £150. If I get £60 for the Hopes then I will break even by the time I add in the £90 full service charge for the Hopes

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/brakes/disc-brakes/hayes-disc-brakes/hayes-prime-expert-disc-brakes-front-rear-set.html

robhughes
    Free Member

Sweet flanagaj…Buy em.Flog a v6 get a v7 rotor for the front. 😉

flanagaj
    Free Member

Job done. I am sure hoping they won’t disappoint

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Go get those hayes! I’ve got three sets of trail/carbons and they are awesome. Loads and loads of power and I barely have to do anything with them. My brother has to bleed and do all sorts with his hopes fairly often. In fact every one I know with hope brakes says they require a lot of fettling. Not saying they are bad though…just I prefer my brakes.

I recently built my race bike with 160 f/r and it’s barely noticable the smaller front disc.

ska-49
    Free Member

I put some hayes HFX9s on my sisters bike about 10 years ago. All i’ve done is change the pads. Not one bleed and the power is fantastic!

smiffy

My brother has to bleed and do all sorts with his hopes fairly often

Has he really HAD to?

Why?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Why 160mm rotors on new disc brakes?’ is closed to new replies.