Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Who's using something other than Strava?
  • rudebwoy
    Free Member

Understood completely, I use Endomondo on a lot of my rides/walks/hikes but not all. It’s useful for logging distance and time taken, it’s especially good when you are scouting trails as you have a record of their location (I upload to OS getamap), it’s useful for sharing routes. It’s useful when you get a bit lost and you can orientate yourself. All of this it does for free and I take my phone with me anyway.

i am not saying technology is pointless, far from it, but i see many people become slaves to this sort of thing. its easy to get sucked in, and before you realise, your ‘ride’ is determined not by you, but other factors !

getting lost can be a good thing– in this country you are unlikely to come to much harm, but you may find a new place to explore inadvertently, a sense of adventure needs to be allowed !

stilltortoise
    Free Member

getting lost can be a good thing

Totally agree. I have discovered some cracking riding just by trying new lanes I’ve not been on before, even if I’m not sure where they go. I still take my phone to track where I’ve been though. I use it to record my riding rather than dictating where I ride.

in this country you are unlikely to come to much harm

Sat here with a broken collarbone I’m tempted to rephrase that 🙂

cookeaa

Cheers for most of the responses…

So as a bit of a summary;

1- There’s still plenty of users for GPS activity logging apps other than strava (TBH the impression I had was that Strava was the biggest/most popular and all others were playing catchup)…

2- Logging is used differently by different users and this may affect their choice of app/upload sites; some want a record of the excercise, others like to have a map from explorations/scouting/”getting lost” rides, some want to do a bit of “virtual racing”, all are valid uses of the technology…

3- Every available app has some drawbacks/positives (nothing is perfect).

4- Some people use multiple apps during rides/runs; to take advantage of different app’s features and/or to generate a secondary log where one app is prone to bugs/dropout of service (a bit of redundancy)…

5- Like with anything cycling/sport related; whatever someone uses themself is what they will tell you is “best”…

5- Some old gits will always feel the need to witheringly state their dissaproval/non-engagement with us ‘kids’ and our ‘gadgets’ on these threads… Cheers Grandad(s)!

andytherocketeer

6 comes after 5 😉

agree with all the above, basically. Strava is just this year’s fashion. Endomondo was last year’s. Sprotstracker the year before. And MapMyRide/Run the year before that. Something else will come along soon.

cookeaa

Not for me I’m a “Sixist” – it’s a religious thing…

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Who's using something other than Strava?’ is closed to new replies.