Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 243 total)
  • Who's the most hated- Blair or Thatcher?
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Bad for all of us – a(nother) utility commodotized. See people now leveraging massively to afford pony housing that when rates go back up will see them in penury/out on their arse. But still the elite and the services industry leviathans are benefitting nicely.

failedengineer

I can sort of understand those among you of a vaguely right-leaning disposition who weren’t around at the time of Thatcher wondering why all the hatred. However, if you were around and ‘economically active’ and in the manufacturing industry (especially if you were a union member)…..

neilwheel
    Free Member

I have heard of a theory that Blair is the bastard son of Thatcher.

lister-hooded
    Free Member

Going back to the OP and original question….

but who is the least popular?

A very difficult queestion as I am not sure either are any where near popular……

A better question may be …

Who is most UNpopular …..

And in this case I would suggest that in the UK Maggie probably shades it but in the wider world it is most likely Bliar

Either way would suggest that neither would win any imaginable popularity contest any where

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Loadsamoney

£80bn. By cutting taxes.

Just saying, like…

moshimonster
    Free Member

I hated the unions a lot more than Thatcher. Power cuts were a part of my childhood. Does anyone think the UK coal mining industry would have flourished today had the unions won the fight?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Woppit – I’d use the point the arse fell out of the world economy as my benchmark too, totally representative.

grum
    Free Member

I hated the unions a lot more than Thatcher.

Yeah I hate equal pay for men and women, holiday pay, maternity pay, better pay generally, protection from arbitrary sacking and better safety standards too. Bastards.

mudshark
    Free Member

No bad things you can think of then?

grum
    Free Member

There are negative things about the unions of course – but to dismiss them out of hand as a malign influence is idiocy of the highest order and just shows how easily people swallow right-wing propaganda.

I assume all those who hate the unions will be renouncing all the stuff I mentioned above in their workplace?

mudshark
    Free Member

He probably meant on balance the way the unions were in the 70s/early 80s caused more harm than good.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I hate Thatcher far more.

Blair got some things wrong but his Government made a lot of progress when it comes to NHS and education, policing, social housing, minimum wage where as the Tories had pretty much abandoned a lot of these things.

New Labour’s biggest failure was not breaking the neo-liberal agenda set by Thatcher/Reagan and instead trying to use it as a force for good. The deregulation of the finance sector that occurred under the Tories in the 80s and 90s should have been reversed. Unfortunately very few people were talking about that back then as everyone thought we were doing rather well.

EDIT – How many of you can honestly say that in the mid 2000s you were saying we must stop all the reckless financial shenanigans?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Well going back to the OP, it would appear that there a few Thatcher ‘non’ haters here, but not much support for Blair, which would seem to answer the question satisfactorily.

Personally I don’t think and have never thought Blair was fit to wipe Maggie’s arse, but each to their own eh. For me, he was a typical snake oil salesman, whilst Mrs Thatch said what she thought….always! I didn’t always agree but I admired that.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Is this a thread about the good old days?

nickc

I have heard of a theory that Blair is the bastard son of Thatcher.

I think in fact is was the old witch herself that said her greatest triumph was New Labour and Blair.

By which of course she meant that the once laughed at policies of the Chicago school had become so mainstream that even Labour had had to remake themselves to fit the new orthodoxy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

So diverting this off track again .. 🙂

But geography isn’t really the point. Getting back onto the original subject, these banks (City based or not) were all taking ridiculous risks with other peoples money, then rewarding themselves to truly obscene levels, exploiting a deregulated, wild-west financial market entirely made possible, and positively encouraged by her Ladyship (may she rot in hell!)

The UK banks which blew up where all second or third tier in terms of management, market position and pay. I think that is relevant as is their geography IMO

But you’re refering to just UK banks in the context of a global recession. Didn’t a lot of the US/International banks that went tits up have a big City presence? eg. Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Lehmans etc.

And I don’t think Brown can be accused of casing the recession. It just happend on his watch. I thought the Yanks started it with all that sub-prime malarkey. (though my memory might be faulty)
    @somewhat – yes definitely originated in the US but we had our own slightly less toxic version of sub-prime which is hat did for HBOS, Northern Rock. RBS had a big US subsiduary and was over-leveraged after buying ABN Amro (Dutch bank but which is where it got the US subsiduary from). The US banks where big in London as it’s the financial centre for Europe, they could have been anywhere. I don’t blame Brown for the recession although 10 years of Labour did nothing to reign in the banks. I do blame Brown for crippling Lloyds for encouraging them to bail out HBOS, Lloyds was a pretty decent bank and didn;t deserve that poisoned chalice.

Even without Thatcher the mining industry would have wound down, burning coal is just too environmentally unfriendly to continue. Also as per @moshimonster I remember power cuts as a child, IMO the miners signed their own “death warrant” with those actions as there was very little sympathy for them after that.

If you think of the big union battles miners, dockers, printers pretty much all of those businesses no longer exist or are relevant – with or without Thatcher – the world changes and we use containers now and the internet for news, alternative energy etc.

dannyh
    Free Member

Our current situation is not really the result of Blair/Brown or Thatcher’s policies really, it’s more systemic than that.
    The economy grew fast after WW2 because our GDP at the end of that was so low (we were close to broke) – any growth would look high as a %. We also had the demographic bonanza of the baby boomer generation – more people = more work = more earnings = more spending = more GDP.
    That came to an end in the 70s.
    Thatcher realised this and went for liberalising the markets but that didn’t really solve the problem so Blair/Brown kept our living standards increasing by borrowing massively and encouraging consumers into debt. Loose lending standards for mortgages was also part of this game.
    Then the inevitable came in 2008.

But the main point here is that it was neither Thatcher or Blair/Brown that caused the crash. This game of liberalisation and debt was being played by all of the Western economies – Europe, USA, Canada, Australia etc.

I know it’s comforting to scapegoat leaders or a particular colour of politician but this is so much bigger than party ideology or policy. We simply don’t have the ability to keep growing the economy in the way we got used to from 1946 – mid-70’s.

The demographic dividend of the baby boomer generation that gave us that growth is now going sharply into reverse as they become dependent on the economy rather than fuelling it. There’s not a government policy which can deal with the fundamentals of demography… the harsh choices are either robots/technology to do the jobs or massive immigration, and we all know how well the great British public are responding to that idea…

Looking back, it would’ve been better for the Tories in 1979 to admit the fundamentals were too weak and managed us into low economic growth. Problem with that of course is that the electorate wouldn’t have supported it – we like being rich…

In a nutshell – there it is.

We’ve been living beyond our means for some time now and the measures that our politicians can take to keep the falsehood going are getting fewer and fewer.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mrs Thatch said what she thought

If she had she would not have won any elections. So instead she talked about reducing unemployment, government spending, taxes, crime, etc, and all the stuff about putting harmony where there is discord, and hope where there is despair, and so on, none of which she had any intention of achieving.

She kept schtum about making wealthy people wealthier and trebling unemployment to weaken trade unions and keep wages low.

project
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Mrs Thatch said what she thought

If she had she would not have won any elections. So instead she talked about reducing unemployment, government spending, taxes, crime, etc, and all the stuff about putting harmony where there is discord, and hope where there is despair, and so on, none of which she had any intention of achieving.

Basicly all the crap they all spoiut every 4 years.

She kept schtum about making wealthy people wealthier and trebling unemployment to weaken trade unions and keep wages low.

ansd sellinganything of value the governmnet had control of to asset strippers to disect and sack staff, to m\ke profits for shareholders, very few of whom where the public.

British Rail and the national bus company along with the water companies spring to mind, where companies where sold for peanuts, asset stripped of property and buildings, and little or no investment put in, before being resold to foreign companies.

For the general publicv, both bliar and thatcher where seen as evil pathetic people and both are hated in equal measure.

cookeaa

I hated the unions a lot more than Thatcher. Power cuts were a part of my childhood. Does anyone think the UK coal mining industry would have flourished today had the unions won the fight?

Who Knows, The UK still has nine operational coal fired, plus got a couple of Coal and Biomass and one Coal, Oil and Gas, power stations, this includes Selby which is the UK’s largest power station; ~4x the capacity of Sizewell-B, our newest (20 years old) Nuclear station, so yeah there would still be a market for coal in the UK…

As it is our energy needs are met mainly by various forms of gas fired station now (Open and closed cycle turbines) with some oil and gas fired boiler efforts a bit of ageing nuclear plant, plus some other minor stuff…

We will be well in Russia’s pocket for the next Decade+ for Gas all because all of them since the 70’s (especially Thatcher and later Blair) lacked the foresight to address future energy security for the UK, and we’re dragging our arses getting new nuclear stations approved and built (which the French will have a stake in via EDF)…

Ultimately She crushed the Unions, and in the process gifted our Energy sector to foreign businesses…

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I think it is safe to say the union movement did more to improve the standard of living, education, safety, reduced working hours than any govt. It should also be remembered that successful companies rarely have an issue with unions. Maybe if we had a stronger union presence then zero hours contracts wouldn’t exist? As a few posts have pointed out people who were not around during Thatcher take a lot of their current employment benefits and rights for granted – to be blunt most rights you have as an employee have been delivered by union action or pressure and those people often went without pay on strike to get those benefits and yes the likes of Scargill got out of control but for everyone of him there was thousands of union members and officials who didn’t. The miners strike was one of the lowest moments this country has ever witnessed – I doubt there will ever be another group of ordinary people who will stick together over a principle they showed more honour and dignity than any politician I have seen and if anyone fails to recognise that regardless of your political leanings then you are just the same as Blair. Rant over

teasel
    Free Member

I see you only made a small dig at that Blair bitch, Project…

wilburt
    Free Member

The Chief Lizard (sorry) must be getting anxious about his legacy, he’s set the spin machine in motion..

Guardian article defending Blairs record, written by spin meister.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Yeah I hate equal pay for men and women, holiday pay, maternity pay, better pay generally, protection from arbitrary sacking and better safety standards too. Bastards.

Did you not notice I said hated (as in past tense)? Anyway you certainly don’t need a union to achieve any of those things in the modern workplace. Some of the big Unions back in the day were self-destructive and just as power crazy as any political party. I’m not a big fan of the likes of Unite today if I’m honest, but they are nothing compared to the old days. Any working group that thinks going on strike is a productive concept should be shot.

binners

If it hadn’t been for the unions, then I’m sure shooting workers for getting uppity would actually be legal

grum
    Free Member

Anyway you certainly don’t need a union to achieve any of those things in the modern workplace.

The current government would get rid of most of that stuff in a second if they thought they could get away with it. Unions are one of the main reasons why they can’t.

People who fail to see this are, frankly, morons.

Any working group that thinks going on strike is a productive concept should be shot.

Ah yes I see I was correct in my previous assessment.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Okay so I’ll concede that perhaps unions are a good thing in principle. So what about elected political parties then? Should they be banned?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you certainly don’t need a union to achieve any of those things in the modern workplace

See how Fernades treated his employees?
    Many employers will do the bare legal minimum they can get away with see also zero hours contract today for example

Any working group that thinks going on strike is a productive concept should be shot.

Its a fundamental human right to go on strike – no really it is – and shooting folk who withdraw their labour to gain fair treatment is what the bosses used to do when the law let them.

Most folk would agree a balance needs to be struck between the power of the employer to treat folk like shit and the power of the union to hold the employer to account.
    Your solution is a poor one.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I’d best check the date. Have I just teleported into the industrial revolution or something?

moshimonster
    Free Member

See how Fernades treated his employees?

No need to feel sorry for F1 employees. They earn plenty and there are enough employment opportunities elsewhere for their skill set. No need for a union there.

footflaps

If it hadn’t been for the unions, then I’m sure shooting workers for getting uppity would actually be legal

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we see this is the Tory manifesto along with a re-introduction of slavery for the poor.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Many employers will do the bare legal minimum they can get away with

They will of course, but the bare legal minimum is not that bad today. Ever tried sacking someone recently? It’s not as easy as you might think.

failedengineer

-Oldmanmtb –

Spot on, spot on.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Most folk would agree a balance needs to be struck between the power of the employer to treat folk like shit and the power of the union to hold the employer to account.

I’m just saying that TODAY (not a hundred years ago) you don’t actually need a union to achieve this. But you do still need an elected government.

Anyway I still hated the unions more than Thatcher back in the day. That was my original point.

MoreCashThanDash

Many employees try and get away with doing the bare minimum as well, cuts both ways.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m just saying that TODAY (not a hundred years ago) you don’t actually need a union to achieve this.

what do we need a good pamphlet campaign as these days employers are reasonable folk who like to protect workers? Naive

No need to feel sorry for F1 employees. They earn plenty and there are enough employment opportunities elsewhere for their skill set. No need for a union there.

WHOOSH the point you had to make was that a union would not have given them greater rights. Even the drivers have one and they are pretty well paid
    Why is this as employers are so nice ?

whether you like the unions or not it is naive to think we can get what they achieved without them

You will be claiming that pensioners would get the triple lock if they did not vote next.

Northwind

moshimonster – Member

I’m just saying that TODAY (not a hundred years ago) you don’t actually need a union to achieve this.

Funny, in my last job my union were involved day to day to keep the employer in check. Now there are other channels that could be used for that but you don’t want every bit of everyday bullshit having to go to tribunals etc- so ironically though individual managers hated being routinely shot down by the unions, the company recognised how valuable it was.

moshimonster – Member

Highly productive for me, got a backdated payrise and prevented a terms and conditions change.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Highly productive for me, got a backdated payrise and prevented a terms and conditions change.

That’s not what I meant though is it.

moshimonster
    Free Member

what do we need a good pamphlet campaign as these days employers are reasonable folk who like to protect workers? Naive

There are employment laws today protecting “workers” and pretty strict ones at that. I guess that’s why unions are less popular today. Maybe I am being naive but I’ve never thought for one second about joining a union to get decent working conditions.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 243 total)

The topic ‘Who's the most hated- Blair or Thatcher?’ is closed to new replies.