Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Who's got the best ride home?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve worked out (with use of 2 very short train journeys) that I can make Cut Gate (in a Southerly direction) my ride home from work, adding in ‘The Beast’ and other rocky stuff as it takes my fancy.
    Leave work 5.30, train to Penistone station, cycle along a bit of the transpennine and then up and over and down to Bamford station before it gets dark.

avdave2

6 miles home by the shortest route for me with 5 miles of that off road and miles and miles of diversions as well. Took a little diversion on the way in this morning and will do again on the way home.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve figured out that if I get the 5:14 from Bradford to Hebden Bridge, I can do a 24 mile loop and then get the train back to Halifax. Alternatively, if I get the bus to Leeds Bradford from the Interchange, I can get a flight to Geneva for a week, hire a car and drive to Verbier and then return home and nobody will be any the wiser.

jambon
    Free Member

I rent a place on the top of a hill in Spain. There’s 5 minutes of fire road then a 4 minute ‘Down Hill’ to the place where I will soon be living, in the valley beneath, where I’m working most days.

Awesome singletrack, gnarly switchbacks, steep drops and small climbs. It’s on the cusp of unridable so every run I do keeps me on my toes and always has something interesting to throw at me. It’s all weather too although generally dry loose over hardpack with rocky bits thrown in.

The return is through a series of old railway tunnels on a ‘Via Verde’ then a monster fire-road climb that’s also ‘just’ ridable, or the missus gives me an uplift back.

Awesome scenery too. I feel very blessed.

takisawa2

Mile & half to the school nursery, then hook-up the trail-gator & lead my two boys home on our secret path (road avoiding mix of alleys & gulleys that only we know :-)), with a stop off for a Freddo each if its nice.
    I love working close enough/flexibly enough to do this every day.

Moe

Five miles (often much more) of off piste singletrack through Thetford Forest, absolutely stunning at 6.00am on a sunny morning, pretty good anyother time too!

BigJohn

My commute is less than 2 miles, and takes me past a pond with ducks on and via my local pub.

Bit of everything, and I don’t have to change out of my work clothes.

Deveron53
    Free Member

We need videos posting! Come on, film it before our proper summer arrives and we all have to stay indoors…

Moe

No vids, but here’s a pic

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My meander along the river and round Parliament Square can be rather lovely. Not so at the moment, too many press cameras everywhere!

chickenslippers
    Free Member

Cant get off road but I do have 850ft of climbing over 6 miles. It was a tester on the SS

LoCo
    Free Member

15 miles back through some of the best riding in south wales, mostly secret ish with a choice of downhills and a ‘bike park with multiple lines, shame I have collect and drop off the little one at nursery each day meaning I have to drive, I can see about from 6 trails from the door too!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My meander along the river and round Parliament Square can be rather lovely.

I always enjoy riding through central London if I’ve bin out anywhere. Speshly at dusk.

warton
    Free Member

If I’m on the SS CX bike I have put togther a very pleasant 10 mile ride in and out of work, very quiet roads, bridleways and a bit of cheekyness. Its the only way to get into work on a sunny morning. If I’m on the winter road bike its not so pleasent, 7 miles of fairly boring road

stabilizers

I currently do 35mile road ride from south Aberdeen to Inverurie. 90% of it is on good country roads that are not ‘rat runs’. Takes a couple of hours and its pretty damn fine.
    the ride in is 25miles on mostly good roads as well but goes through town. It’s not so good coming home when the traffic is much heavier.
    I only do this 2-3 times a week.
    I’ll defer to the guys who get a decent amount of single track.

888trojan888
    Free Member

My commute involves some wicked singletrack and the pennine bridleway in saddleworth. A fair bit of climbing but certainly makes me feel more refreshed when i get to work.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I always enjoy riding through central London if I’ve bin out anywhere. Speshly at dusk.

Crossing Blackfriars Bridge at sunset, looking west. Magnificent.

easygroove
    Free Member

20km to work and 20km home – i ride down my road past freshwater beach, then manly beach, over the spit, past taronga zoo, through cremorne and neutral bay, then on to the harbour bridge and in to the CBD, work is next to Centrepoint tower …… can you tell where it is yet?

monsta
    Free Member

Any riding commute early in the morning, before the masses awaken, usually has its own magic feel. I have a 12 mile pootle through the Cotswolds Lanes to/from work. Anyone doing the Cotswolds Sportive last monday would’ve enjoyed some of the same scenery. Despite being a road route, it rarely gets interrupted by cars.

zbonty

Definitely not the best but quite enjoyable-

25 miles traffic free/semi off road route following Sustrans route 4 along the Thames valley. I train in, ride home.

Only been doing it this year but mucho improved fitness for MTBering.

molgrips
    Free Member

Currently it’s 20 miles of flat quiet country roads with views of the mountains. Not too bad.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Who's got the best ride home?’ is closed to new replies.