Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Who's got new 160mm solo air pikes
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Rct3 specifically, solo air.

What bike, your weight, settings?

Mugboo

Ordered some so watching with interest. You’d better add how many Tokens too.

There’s a long thread on Mtbr, Pike 2014.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Link?

nicksee
    Free Member

Had mine for a couple weeks, used them for a couple of trail rides and an uplift day at the Fod. They feel nice and plush and super composed throughout their travel range.
    Fitted to 2014 Orange Alpine, 80 Kgs with kit on, 70 psi, 2 tokens fitted, 2 clicks LSC. Not bottomed them yet but have used about 150mm of the travel 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, on an Enduro29.

No idea on settings, other than 2 tokens in them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tokens?

kimbers

Ive got the lower spec versions they are awesome!! but at 90kg Ive been getting thru the travel (in a controlled and smooth manner!) so Im looking for another token or 2 as Ive already fitted the 2 supplied

nobeer- they reduce air chamber volume making them more progressive you just inscrew the top cap and screw them into place

v10
    Free Member

Carbine 275
    11.5st
    65psi – 1 token – 3 clicks LSC – some rebound
    pretty much bob on.

neilforrow

solo
    no tokens
    75psi
    few clicks of LSC, a few more when in the alps or longer dh type trails where you are over the front a lot.

One thing I have noted about these is the usable range of rebound. You can wind off one or two clicks and notice a positive difference.

Cracking fork.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

85kg and have 80psi in them. Only had one ride, so too early for good advice. Three clicks of LSC and rebound quite slow. Bottomed out once on a 3ft drop to flat, so still unsure if they are set up how they should be, will try another few rides before deciding on adding tokens. Riding solo air RCT3s 150 on a Cotic BFe.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Had them about a week and put three rides in. I’m running 75 PSI with no tokens, and LSC dialled right out. WIll probably add a couple of clicks to experiment and then put a token in as well. Might end up taking them out again as I don’t find I use all of the travel. I think it rides high in it actually.
    Great forks so far, eaten everything I’ve thrown at it with no issues at all.

Its on a new zesty, and I weigh about 83kg

neallyman
    Free Member

I’ve just got some for my Bronson. Although I’ve fitted them for various reasons in the past 2 weeks I’ve not ridden them yet.

Interested to hear people only having 2 or 3 clicks of lsc. Doesn’t seem much given the range – do they just not need it?

shaggmiester
    Free Member

I have some Rob, 😀
    The best forks in the world by far! Track the ground very well and uses the travel very well, actually feel like I’ve got a perfect set of forks finally! Haven’t touched the dials but I put about 70psi and have used about 150mm of the 160 travel. A world apart from Fox forks in my opinion.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

thats ace to hear 🙂

mactheknife

I agree with shaggmiester, they are pretty much my perfect fork now. Running 150mm ones on my 5 spot.
    They just chew up small trail chatter while taking big hits perfectly.

Not really played with the setting too much. Set sag to 25% and a few clicks of LSC and off i went. When im out more regularly ill probably play about with pressures and tokens etc but right out the box they were nearly dead on.

Oh MTBR thread is MTBR

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Anyone have a view on how they ride relative to Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti?

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone have a view on how they ride relative to Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti?

Also been wondering this.

Dirt suggest almost as good, but were a bit glib on the subject.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Love my new pikes, set them up like my fox floats with 5 clicks from full slow rebound felt terrible as above wound it all the way fast bar a few clicks and even though it sounds like BS I swear I’ve never descended so fast and had a fork feel so good.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

So very little rebound damping?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Got a new frame to contend with also 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Dirt suggest almost as good, but were a bit glib on the subject.

OK, just read the Dirt 100 write up on the Pike again while dropping the kids off at the pool.

Actually says almost as supple as a Marz, but with more composure.

🙂

fuzzhead
    Free Member

nice one, thanks chakaping – i do love my 55s, but the Pikes sound aceness and I’ll lose 800g-ish from the front of my bike….

waldo1
    Free Member

Actually found the pikes better than my 55 rc3 ti.
    Not as good as bos deville 170 though but close.

LoCo
    Free Member

RCT3 were pretty good and nice and light, have sold them now and have a set of X Fusion Sweeps on the way as changing wheel size and fancied trying something new, Devilles were off the list as warranty is a waste of time due to abomnable parts supply from BOS if anything goes wrong…

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d be very tempted by some Pikes if they did a 20mm bolt through. Going 15mm on older crossmax is a PITA.

Taz

On fast and or steep stuff the Pikes are almost as good as the Devilles I had which is a HUGE compliment

On smaller trail chatter they are better

I am assuming as they are Rock Shox they will be very reliable and will have great back up if they do fail.

2 Tokens, 2 clicks of LSC 85 PSI (I guess I am around 85kgs kitted up) – Brilliant.

I have a Fox 34 on my other bike. After adding 15ml of fox float fluid to the Fox air chanmber they improved markedly. They are still well behind the Pikes though.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Can you get the tokens from anywhere

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You get 2 with the fork.

kimbers

My pikes aren’t quite as good on the small bump stuff as my Marzocchi rc3tis but less prone to diving on the big hits and under breaking

Simwit

Loco, please post up your thoughts on the Sweeps when you’ve had a chance to evaluate them? I just bought some when Pikes where out of stock everywhere & so far they feel great, then again I don’t have the chance to ride as many forks as you must do so it will be very interesting to hear the point of view of a suspension professional ( plus I’m hoping you’ll pass on some setup tips as & when 😉 )

rob-jackson
    Free Member

hobnob – i didn’t as they weren’t boxed (part of a build)

boltonjon

Just fitted some 160mm Solos to my Liteville 301, replacing some Devilles

Been out for a 20 mile blast – nothing epic enough to really test the forks – but they felt real nice – no discernible difference to the Devilles

I’ll be testing them on some more challenging stuff in the next week – but first impressions – very good

I’m 85kgs and there is 85psi in – will fettle next week!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Who's got new 160mm solo air pikes’ is closed to new replies.