Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Who's got a RFLKT+ ?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Any good? Any problems? What app do you use it with? Any problems working with ant+ stuff? Any connectivity issues with the Bluetooth? Ride in the dark a fair bit, how good is the back light and does it drain the battery?

Main reason for considering one is to have something to use instead of my Garmin 810 when I need to see phone notifications when I’m riding.

Thanks.

jam-bo

had one.
    sold one.
    bought garmin 520.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No good? What was wrong with it?

connect2

I bought one as an alternative to a Garmin as I always have my phone with me anyway. Most of my rides are <3-4hrs so battery drain doesn’t bother me. Iphone 6, Bontrager interchange speed and cadence and Wahoo Blue HR all connect and work fine without problems. Tried the back light once, it shut down after quite a while with a message I couldn’t read, presumably something about battery life. Powered back up no probs. It was mounted on the out in front mount that comes with it and turned out that I could see the display fine by the glow from my light anyway. Only down side I can see is that to get navigation would require a subscription to Ride With GPS or something like that

jam-bo

it was ok, i had one of the first batch via the kickstarter campaign. connection can be a bit flaky, didn’t have call notifications when I had it. wanted to be able to record longer rides without draining phone battery down.

I think the backlight would drain the battery down pretty quick, its only powered by a small coin cell.

barometer was useless.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not too bothered about phone battery for longer rides, or having any navigation, I’d just use my 810.

Is the unit’s battery just a single coin cell? Surprised that lasts long. Shame it’s not rechargeable.

I’d need to be able to get files out of it that I can load into TrainingPeaks (so .fit or .tcx). Can I do that from the wahoo app?

jam-bo

files aren’t stored on the RFLKT+, its basically just an LCD display. all the work is done by the app. It’ll pair with strava but I tended to used the wahoo app which is actually pretty good. uploads directly to most training sites.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, just wondering which app was best for that. Looks like the wahoo one can export to Strava and TrainingPeaks, which is nice.

What was the issue with the barometer? Elevation all over the place? Don’t really care that much about elevation data.

Any problems with connectivity when having phone in one of the back jersey pockets?

jam-bo

centre pocket with the rflkt on the stem and it was a bit ropey.

side pocket was ok.

data quality from barometer was shocking. steps and jumps all over the place to the point I just turned it off.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Anyone had a look at the ELEMNT?

mrblobby
    Free Member

One more thing, does it come as standard with the 1/4 turn garmin mount adapter?

ELEMNT does look a pretty good alternative to the garmin, nice setup via app, if I didn’t have the 810 I might be tempted.

jam-bo

mine came with a bunch of different mounts that clip onto the main housing. one was a garmin quarter turn. it was from a pre-production run so that might have changed.

drofluf
    Free Member

I’ve got the standard RFLKT (not the +) and it’s great. Mine doesn’t have the barometer so I can’t comment on that. Connects fine with my phone, even in a back pocket. The phone is the ‘master’ data source and just displays the data from the phone so connectivity is dependant on the phone.

The Wahoo! app controls what is displayed so that you can customise the screens.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ok one more question. What’s the battery life of the unit like with the coin cell battery?

jam-bo

without the backlight? months.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cool, thanks. Does it show battery status somewhere on the unit?

jam-bo

don’t think so, from memory it just stops.

drofluf
    Free Member

Cool, thanks. Does it show battery status somewhere on the unit?

No, just the phone battery status as far as I can see

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well RFLKT+ ordered, should be here by the weekend. Worth a go for 80 quid I reckon.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well turned up, nice unit, about the same size as an Edge 500.

Configured it all. Set it up. Unfortunately now whenever I turn it on it turns itself back off, usually about a second later. Can’t get it to stay on for any length of time! Changed the battery which hasn’t made any difference.

Am I doing something really stupid…?

drofluf
    Free Member

Have you paired it with your phone? Think you need to use the Wahoo! app for that.

If it can’t see Wahoo! it will shut down to save battery

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, using the wahoo app. I’ve been able to pair it up ok and do some setup before it started playing up.

Bit more playing and a reset on the device. I can get it to work if I forget the device on the iPhone then re-pair. Then I can connect it to the app. But as soon as I try and search for ANT+ devices it turns itself off and then won’t stay on for more than a second if I try and turn it back on. Odd.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well turned bluetooth on and off and can now see the RFLKT+ flipping between Connected and Not Connected every half a second or so with the device showing “Open App”. Very odd.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I am going through the pain with a RFLKT. you have to have the app actually set to run to get it to pair, not just open.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Weyhey, seem to have got it to work. Thinking it could be something to do with bluetooth stability on the iPhone I upgraded to the latest iOS. Still seems a bit temperamental but at least I’ve got as far as having ANT+ devices paired now and it’s relaying and displaying data… and not turning itself off every second!

I can imagine it being something to do with bluetooth because as soon as you kill the app on the phone the RFLKT+ turns itself off, so thinking if the bluetooth connection is flapping up and down then it could pretty much turn itself off as soon as you turn it on.

Doesn’t really inspire confidence 😕

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Who's got a RFLKT+ ?’ is closed to new replies.