Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • who's gonna buy an iPad?
  • mboy
    Free Member

It's the second most popular resolution on stw with 17% of the pie.

Blimey! That is a surprise…

Don't think I've had a computer with that low a resolution screen in 7 years probably! 1920×1080 here right now, 1440×900 on my laptop, even computers 2 generations old of mine were still 1280×1024! I'm still tempted by one of the little Samsung Netbooks, but to me that's more about being a portable workstation than a computer.

GrahamS

..think the iPad fails from an ergonomic point of view.. an iPad on my lap will be at the wrong angle to view/use unless one hand is holding it.. would you be chucking it in your man-bag without it being in a case – scratchy screen anyone?

I don't actually thing the tablet ergonomics is a big deal. By the same argument it's a bugger to use a netbook/laptop when you're lying down or sitting where you don't have a table to put it on (laptops actually used "lap top" are a killer on the back).

But would you be happier if it had a stand available?

http://gizmodo.com/5459192/oh-yes-the-first-ipad-kickstand

Or perhaps a nice case to protect the screen in your manbag?

http://gizmodo.com/5458496/griffin-announces-its-first-ipad-accessories-cases-sleeves-screen-protectors

Or a case that turns into a kickstand?

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458344/ipad-kickstand-accessory-doubles-as-a-nice-leather-case-too

iDave
    Free Member

so it works ergonomically if you buy extras….

aracer
    Free Member

By the same argument it's a bugger to use a netbook/laptop when you're lying down or sitting where you don't have a table to put it on (laptops actually used "lap top" are a killer on the back).

I disagree – use mine like that all the time, whilst sitting in much the same position as I normally do in a chair (is how I'm typing right now). The iPad will lead to much more of a hunch. Of course if you want to use a computer whilst lying down, an iPad is probably better, but it's still not exactly great.

But would you be happier if it had a stand available?

If it put the keyboard bit flat and the screen bit upright whilst sitting on a table or my lap, then you're right it would solve all the ergonomic problems. From the look of either of those offerings they wouldn't even hold the screen upright whilst sitting on your lap.

http://gizmodo.com/5455844/tablet-sutra-how-are-we-supposed-to-hold-this-thing

I feel the need to point out that I'm not particularly a hater (which is how I might be coming across) – if I was in the market for an expensive smartphone I'd certainly be very tempted by an iPhone, which is something they did a superb job with. Just very unconvinced by this.

eth3er
    Free Member

I'm still enjoying watching people work themselves into a lather defending this thing. You'd think they were shareholders with a vested interest in it's success.

aracer
    Free Member

"It's the second most popular resolution on stw with 17% of the pie.
    Blimey!" That is a surprise…

Indeed – I'd have guessed the top two would be 1280×800 and 1280×1024, but maybe that's just because they're what I use!

Dougal
    Free Member

Fraser Spiers has a good go at attempting to explain why everyone's up in arms about the iPad:

The Real Work is not formatting the margins, installing the printer driver, uploading the document, finishing the PowerPoint slides, running the software update or reinstalling the OS […] The Real Work is teaching the child, healing the patient, selling the house, logging the road defects, fixing the car at the roadside, capturing the table’s order, designing the house and organising the party.

http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html

Spot on I reckon.

aracer
    Free Member

Spot on I reckon.

Completely missing the point I reckon. The thing is that a closed architecture doesn't mean you avoid having to format the margins, finish the powerpoint slides or upload the document. If your work involves writing documents or doing presentations, then he can rant all he likes about them being unnecessary jobs (compared to the important things which obviously don't involve any documentation), but a closed architecture doesn't get rid of them. Maybe the iPad will have software which makes some of these things easier, but I'm less than convinced and see no evidence as yet, in any case that will be a s/w rather than a platform thing.

Meanwhile I don't generally have to install a printer driver or re-install an OS on a Windows platform – if I did have to install the printer driver, I'd surely have to also do so on an iPad, which has the disadvantage of the smaller customer base meaning drivers less likely to be updated. The fact I can re-install the OS is an advantage not a disadvantage.

Of course that is all totally irrelevant anyway, since the iPad isn't a laptop. If it was, people might be levelling those criticisms, but they're not – the criticisms are all about the ergonomics.

In reality he's just as deluded as he seems to think the critics are. Quite clearly a fanboi, given the suggestion that this is the future because Steve Jobs says so. I also found myself confused by the comments about "Pages" and "Finder" and some peculiar behaviour you don't get on a normal computer, until I realised these must be Apple specific problems.

lorax

I probably won't buy one, at least not until version 2 or 3, but I love the idea of a bigger iPhone – something that is as simple and reliable but with a bigger screen and bigger keyboard.

I've wasted weeks of my life faffing around with computers, and I'm more than willing to trade a spurious sense of control for something like this. I travel huge amounts for work, and need something small and light on which to edit documents, deal with emails, and tweak the odd presentation while I do.

Just as I used to fix my own car but now have little idea (and less interest) what goes on under the bonnet, i've moved on from the machine code programming I used to do on a 6502 processor 30 years ago to just wanting the blasted thing to work. I have a samsung nc10 but found using windows unbearable and running it as a hackintosh a pain, so gave up using it. These things are all compromises, but I reckon an iPad is probably a pretty good set of compromises for what I want.

IA

aracer, i think you missed the point a bit there. His article was that the ipad's an attempt to get to where things should be with computers. To take some of what you said:

"doesn't mean you avoid having to format the margins, finish the powerpoint slides or upload the document. If your work involves writing documents or doing presentations"

My work involves writing documents, and i would LOVE never to have to worry about formatting. And I shouldn't have to, the machine can do it for me.

"The fact I can re-install the OS is an advantage"

Why? Seriously. Why? I don't want to faff about with that if I don't have to. And the only reason I have to is cos something was wrong with the software in the first place. And if it needs updating, why can't it do it itself, silently on my behalf?

Now I don't claim (or even think) the ipad is going to bring all this in, but it's a step in the right direction.

aracer
    Free Member

"doesn't mean you avoid having to format the margins, finish the powerpoint slides or upload the document. If your work involves writing documents or doing presentations"

My work involves writing documents, and i would LOVE never to have to worry about formatting. And I shouldn't have to, the machine can do it for me.
    Me too. But as I said, that's a function of the s/w, not the platform, and I see no evidence to suggest the s/w on the iPad is any better in that respect (if it is, similar features will doubtless quickly roll out to other platforms).

"The fact I can re-install the OS is an advantage"

Why? Seriously. Why? I don't want to faff about with that if I don't have to.
    Because as I also already said, it's not something you have to do. However if you do want to (for various reasons), it's nice that you can. Of course by the time you get to the point a typical Windows user might feel the need for a re-install, the (non-replaceable) battery on an iPad will have worn out. Not that that matters given there will be something newer and shinier that the target market will have replaced it with by then.

porterclough
    Free Member

Hmm…. a number of points occur to me

1) Some of the complaints seem to be from people disappointed that Apple didn't announce cold fusion or perpetual motion or something

2) If you can't see why you'd want one, maybe you're not the target market

3) I've upgraded the OS on my iPod Touch with no probs (other than the cheek of Apple wanting money for it) so it will be precisely the same on the iPad, OS upgrades will be via the App Store, and will just work

4) I've spent the last 2 hours trying to get my son's Windows 7 laptop to connect to the internet, it won't, it comes up with some stupid 'DNS not responding' error all the time – it worked at xmas, it worked at his mum's, but not now. Web search suggests M$ recommend upgrading Windows – not easy with no internet access (my MacBook is working fine luckily, and my Vista machine had the same issue but fixed itself, which WIn7 will not).

5) I have a computing degree and I can't be bothered with all this computer fiddling crap. If the iPad just works (which it will, 'cos iPhone OS does just work) then it will be fine for loads of people who either are not very computer literate, or like me can't be arsed with it all any more

6) Basically, who cares anyway? In a year it will either be the thing everything is buying for xmas, or it won't. Unless you have shares in Apple, what's the beef?

bassspine
    Free Member

out of the incredible 120,000 'apps' how many are actually different?
    ie I have a Palm and there's several hundred painting programs available, several hundred word processors, several hundred diaries (many duplicating programs that are built into the palm os) etc etc

not mocking, just interested

woffle
    Free Member

out of the incredible 120,000 'apps' how many are actually different?

Off the top of my head there are apps that do things like – stream tv, enable you to calculate your fertility, plan your finances, find your way on the roads via decent GPS, play cards, sort out your to-do-list, dial into your work pc from the train and check the networks, take and enhance photographs of your kids, read barcodes – the question is a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string…

aracer
    Free Member

Completely missing the point I reckon. The thing is that a closed architecture doesn't mean you avoid having to format the margins, finish the powerpoint slides or upload the document. If your work involves writing documents or doing presentations, then he can rant all he likes about them being unnecessary jobs (compared to the important things which obviously don't involve any documentation), but a closed architecture doesn't get rid of them. Maybe the iPad will have software which makes some of these things easier, but I'm less than convinced and see no evidence as yet, in any case that will be a s/w rather than a platform thing.

Edit: Oh, I see somebody's already made those comments. Why didn't I read the rest of the thread, or at least a few posts earlier before posting?

0range5

…not going to buy one, have an almost infinite number of things I would buy first, if I buy anything…

Nothing against Apple etc, just don't need one. Bike stuff is much better, even boring stuff like spares!

Jamie
    Free Member

Nothing against Apple etc, just don't need one. Bike stuff is much better, even boring stuff like spares!

Well, you have pretty much described yourself as not being in their target *ahem* demographic. So its not surprising you are not going to get one.

MrNutt
    Free Member

it is cock. thread closed.

Waderider
    Free Member

Thread reopened.

It's really crap.

Thread re-closed.

GrahamS

Glad to see no one is prepared to dismiss it outright without actually seeing or playing on one.
    Always good to keep an open mind eh? 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Glad to see no one is prepared to dismiss it outright without actually seeing or playing on one.
    Always good to keep an open mind eh?

The second this thread was started it was always going to be split down the middle between the lovers and the haters…..plus the odd few souls who were just offering genuine opinions, but we will ignore them.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Peterclough

5) I have a computing degree and I can't be bothered with all this computer fiddling crap. If the iPad just works (which it will, 'cos iPhone OS does just work) then it will be fine for loads of people who either are not very computer literate, or like me can't be arsed with it all any more

Someone may have already said this, but that's hit the nail on the head for me. I got a macbook because I was fed up of the jargon and computer language bollocks thrown at me by a PC that kept packing up all the time. If this is like other Apple stuff it'll be realiable, and dead easy and fun to use, rather than a ball ache only suitable for nerds and fiddlers.

IA

"only suitable for nerds and fiddlers."

I'm an epic nerd and a fiddler, and I still want one of these. Cos when I need to work, or relax, I want stuff to just work. And i'll be able to fiddle too – if I want I can turn my hand to coding apps for it.

DrJ

I'm still enjoying watching people work themselves into a lather defending this thing

Almost as much fun as watching the usual bile from the AnythingButApple crowd.

ChrisS
    Free Member
    barrykellett
    Free Member

Cant be bothered reading all this. But to answer. Who will buy an ipad?

**** with too much money and not enough sense.

IMO

CountZero

TheanythingbutApple crowd generally seem to be people who feel an obsessive need to screw around with the workings of any machine that they have in front of them, in the belief that they know how to make it work better. Millions of other people, on the other hand, like me, couldn't give a flying **** what goes on inside, and could care less about fannying around trying to improve on someone elses' work, and just want a machine that works when you fire it up, works when you upgrade the OS and applications and doesn't get in the way when you use it, by sticking up stupid warning boxes all the frakking time. Like a Mac does, and unlike the Windows machines I occasionally have to use, which leave me with an irrational desire to kick the bloody things across the room. My iPhone is the former; it just works. Period. I use it more, every day, than I could have ever believed possible, and OS upgrades are sheer simplicity. This is why the iPad is exactly what I want in an everyday computer, and I suspect many, many other people too.

CountZero

Oh, and thank you Mr Kellet, for that blinding insight into my personal habits and monetary status. Now kindly go away and play with yourself in a quiet corner somewhere, and let the grown-ups get on with a serious discussion.

aracer
    Free Member

I must have a funny PC unlike all the other ones out there. It just works, and I've never spent any time messing around with the OS or what goes on inside – it automatically updates itself over the web. I don't even seem to have a problem with not being able to print stuff because some "Finder" application is on top with no windows open, which would appear to be an Apple only feature according to this fanboi. Of course I'm sure the iPad won't come with any such features (and that working on an iPhone will scale to something much bigger just fine).

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘who's gonna buy an iPad?’ is closed to new replies.