Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • Who's going to vote for their police commisioner?
  • This is taking the piss though….

davidjones15
    Free Member

Because it’s laughing in the face of the democratic process, I presume?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I won’t vote in any election that uses AVPR. It was rejected by 2:1 in last year’s referendum so why was it adopted for these elections?

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I haven’t had any information, other than the official postal voting bits and bobs. I could probably do some research into who is standing, but if they’re not making any effort to tell me about them then I’m not sure I want to vote.

Even if they did they’d have to say something special to get me to cast my vote, I’m sure I should, but I just don’t care…

bencooper
    Free Member

John Prescott is standing…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuCdsNvifmI[/video]

Coyote
    Free Member

I haven’t had any information, other than the official postal voting bits and bobs. I could probably do some research into who is standing, but if they’re not making any effort to tell me about them then I’m not sure I want to vote.

This. It’s a complete and utter waste of time and money.

BigJohn

I wasn’t going to but then I found that in Stafford a really genuine bloke is standing. He used to be a county councillor and was chairman of the police committee until last elections when he got defeated by the tories. He’s the poshest left-winger ever, and the fact he drinks in my local doesn’t influence me at all. No sir.

Flaperon

Normally scathing of people who don’t vote but am worried that by actually turning up I might be seen as expressing enthusiasm for the bloody thing.

About time we had a “none of the above” option.

KonaTC

I have a choice of political candidates and a few randoms so going to add a box and tick it

“None of the above”

Onzadog
    Free Member

I didn’t think it possible but there is actually less information about ho stands for what in this fiasco than there was for the last local election.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Doubt I’ll vote-don’t have a clue who is standing, and I don’t think that the police need anymore political influence than they already have. Cuts to frontline policing and positions like this being creating data huge cost don’t sit too well with me. Hopefully a woefully low turnout will kill off the idea. What turnout is predicted?

Coyote
    Free Member

Hmm.. postal vote just arrived. A list of random people whom I have never heard of with absolutely no information about what they represent.

Added to the recycling bag, hopefully that way something positive can come from them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have no flipping idea why we try and copy the USA at everything…mayors, polis commissioners, polarisation of politics…like it really works over there. 🙄

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I can’t help thinking that the Police should be entirely independent of politics.

patriotpro
    Free Member

beckykirk43 – Member

Even if they did they’d have to say something special to get me to cast my vote, I’m sure I should, but I just don’t care…

Exactly – How can I vote for someone who know absolutely nothing about…It’s chuffin daft.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmm, seems I have someone to vote for!

Local chap who’s been a policeman for 35 years and believes “Politics has no part to play in the role of Police Crime Commissioner for Essex”

Think I might have to haul my butt round to the polling station after all

johnners
    Free Member

This. It’s a complete and utter waste of time and money.

I sort of agree, but since one of them is going to end up being paid £65-100k pa I’ll be doing a bit of research to find a “least worst” option.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Not worth the time it takes to marks the box.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Info on all candidates etc. Having said that, I’d like a “none of the above box” too.
    http://www.policecrimecommissioner.co.uk/

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

piedi di formaggio – Member

Hmm, seems I have someone to vote for!

Local chap who’s been a policeman for 35 years and believes “Politics has no part to play in the role of Police Crime Commissioner for Essex”

Think I might have to haul my butt round to the polling station after all

I utterly applaud his sentiments, but does that mean that he’ll immediately resign in the event of securing the post?

faz083
    Free Member

brilliant name

large418
    Free Member

There is a “non of the above” option – it’s called a spoiled vote paper – ticking 2 boxes/scribbling etc etc all have to count as votes but in the “spoiled vote” category. This is normally (never) reported as it isn’t seen as in the best interests of voting, but if enough people did it, we could have proper anarchy. And the numbers are never enough to warrant reporting.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Spoiled paper for me then. Bring on the anarchy…

Greybeard
    Free Member

+1 for spoiled vote.

Not bothering to vote will be seen as apathy. A spoiled vote is a positive message that the whole idea is wrong.

jota180
    Free Member

I’d vote if any of the candidates surname was Gordon

rudebwoy
    Free Member

gonna vote against the reactionary candidates in my area– where half the population speak welsh, only one candidate is campaigning bi-lingually = the others either can’t or won’t- some old retired colonel blimps from england have put themselves forward !!

timbur
    Free Member

Got a roaring fire going with my voting slip.
    Toasty warm.
    Tim

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bit surprised by the animosity. I’ll be voting, postal for everything makes this much easier to do

pjm84
    Free Member

Hmmmmm….no.

maccruiskeen

A spoiled vote is a positive message that the whole idea is wrong.

except in Scotland where 100,000 spoiled votes means the ballot papers are fubared 🙂

csb

People are confusing democracy with politics.

Democracy is about having a say in who represents you, and that representative needn’t be aligned to a political ideology.

The guy in Essex represents that option.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m voting for the independent candidate here in Sussex.

itsmygame
    Free Member

Don’t know if its the same everywhere but whoever gets elected here will take home approx 70,000 a year salary. Hhmmm.

thorpie
    Free Member

Unless they can put more officers on the beat, which they can’t because of budget cuts, they ain’t gonna make a bit of difference so no, not me.

Rio

I don’t want to vote for anyone aligned to a political party but there’s not much information about the candidates and I don’t want to vote for a nutter by mistake (like the guy who’s now stepped down but was standing because the police had objected to his extensive gun collection), or to be responsible for a nutter getting the job through my inaction. It’s a dilemma. 😐

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not
    On
    Your
    Baton.

Pointless excessive money wasting excersise.

A vain and pathetic attempt at thinking we have any say in any policing matters.

Pointless.

joeegg
    Free Member

Just had a leaflet through for a local candidate.

“Vote for me and you will get a police force working for law abiding people” Really radical stuff !

The guys a retired Chief Executive so probably has a high pension with a decent pay off.Now he wants another 60K a year from taxpayers.

Murray

Yes, but pointless. Thames Valley Police serves 2 million people. That’s the same size as Slovenia and half the size of Eire. How this adds to “localism” I don’t know.

Edric64
    Free Member

The Tory standing for Avon and Somerset ,Ken Maddocks ruled the council as it fell into massive debt but says having run the council and been a buyer for Marks and Spencer that he is the man to have control of the massive police budget.

The Liberal standing is harping on about female genital mutilation and how he wants to get it stopped .Whilst this is abhorent I dont see it as one of the main aims of the police commisioner.

binners

Good article in the Guardian today that pretty much sums it up. Advocating spoiling your ballot paper.

A complete sham. Its costing an estimated £75 million. There’s absolutely zero information out there. Its exclusively populated by failed politicians, who know eff all about policing, trying to get back on their taxpayer-funded gravy train. Turnout will struggle to get over 10%

There’s a huge great school-desk-style spunking cock-and-balls being scrawled on my ballot paper. I hope that contributes to the ‘shove it up your chuff’ votes topping that of any of the candidates

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Who's going to vote for their police commisioner?’ is closed to new replies.