• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by momo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whos a good broadband provider?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My mates after some new broadband. Something cheap but reliable (if such as thing exists)

The max speed he can get is 1mb as he is 4 miles from the exchange.

I already know how good Zen are (I use them) but there a bit costly I think.

Anything circa £15pm thats reliable?

Cougar

Zen are good. I only left them to go with Sky because I could get ADSL plus Sky TV for two quid more than I was currently paying just for ADSL.

Best bet is for him to go to http://www.samknows.com, plumb in his details and find out what LLU providers are serving his area. Then go from there.

Mounty_73

ZEN & o2 for me.

float
    Free Member

virgin for pure speed, anything else for better customer service.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If everything runs smoothly TalkTalk might be OK, otherwise they are dire and should be avoided at all costs.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got BT. The Home Hub is good but the customer service is appalling. Avoid.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, these all dont sound any good. Which is nice to know.

When my main hobby (before mtbing took over!!) was gathering uninteresting facts about ISP’s, I read Nildram, Eclipse and maybe Plusnet were meant to be good. Do these still exist? Are they still any good?

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s not gonna get Virgin if he’s 4 miles from an exchange – presumably that means he lives in the sticks?

I get free broadband from Orange, and it’s quite decent.

rewski
    Free Member

BT here, no problems apart from the odd drop out, with wireless hub and a powerline ethernet adapter which works well. Next door have Virgin on occasions no bb for days – shocking.

rewski
    Free Member

Plusnet still exist – I believe BT have something to do with it – could be wrong.

sam_underhill

+1 for 02 (or Be). Customer service has been great.

Cougar

If everything runs smoothly TalkTalk might be OK, otherwise they are dire and should be avoided at all costs.

FTFY.

Cougar

I’ve got BT.

Unless you’re using an LLU provider, everyone on ADSL has BT. It’s the same product with a different badge and a different support number.

momo

Cougar – Member

FTFY.

Agree with this, were awful when I was with them, fastest speed I ever had was 1.3 Mbps, but it would often drop to 0.3 Mbps for weeks at a time. Switched to Sky 4 months ago, now receive a stable 2 Mbps (not great I know, but much better than I had before) with the added bonus of absolutely no download limits.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whos a good broadband provider?’ is closed to new replies.