• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Aus.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • whos 9'ish yr old kids ride xs 26" wheel bikes?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

been looking for a used 24 for the boy, coming up to 9, average height for his age, but not really getting any joy, and beginning to wonder about an xs 26 bike especially as i can raid my winter bike for most of the bits except cranks.

my worry is it’ll be like one of the halfords ‘he’ll grow into it’ specials you see as against something that will help his riding progress. anyone have any experience of kids on a full size bike, how do they get on.

also what forks, 100mm or less?

DezB
    Free Member

You could get away with it if the frame is small enough.
    My boy is quite tall for 9, recently got him a 24″ and the saddle is pretty low. I’ll find a pic.

How a 24″ looks:
    [IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r90/dezb99/kidsbike.jpg[/IMG]

scruff
    Free Member

ianv
    Free Member

I would say a 26 inch would be too big for a 9 yr old. My son is 8 and his 24 inch isnt perfect for him yet.

binners

My daughter is 8 and tall for her age. I’ve just bought her a 24″ bike. The frame is small with a low standover but she still has the saddle right down. Its perfect for her.

I’d say 9 is too early for full size. Most manufacturers list 24″ as from ages 8-12

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Nine year old still on a Bein 20 Large at the moment. Looking at a photo it looks just like me on an 18 inch 26. I am in no hurry to put him on a “virtual” 29er. He is on the smaller side for his age though.

djflexure

I put my son on a 13 inch specialized rockhopper frame when he was 9 and he did just fine, although it was a bit big at first. Two years later we have just transferred the kit to a 15″ rocklobster frame.

br
    Free Member

ygm

matt_outandabout

(shortish) ten year old here who has had a go on mum’s XS Cannondale – and it is too big. Sure he can ride it, but reach is long and it is unweildy off road.
    He will be on 26″ this summer / autumn I am sure, started lookign already….
    Go second hand 24″ and keep selling / handing on…

What light evenings are for… by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Loch Ard Ride by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

ianv
    Free Member

What about something like this? http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1067136/
    You could swap to better forks and it would be a pretty good bike.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Found a lovely Scott Voltage last year for my son at my LBS which was an XS with 26″ wheels but it was just too big for my nearly 9 year old son who is above avaerage height for his age.

He is now on a 24″ Gt Aggressor which is a really good fit.

Its a shame because 24″ wheeled bikes seem to cost a lot more than 20″ wheel bikes.I reckon a samll 26″ would cost no more,plus youd have a much better choice of forks and wheels,but its no good if it doesnt fit.If a kid isnt confident on a bike they wont ride it.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bought one of these, Cube Kid 260 Team Race for my tall for her age 9yo last year. Nice bike, very well made but it only just fit her if I’m honest, now she’s 10 it fits her a lot better but still think 24 would be a better fit.

It was a toss up between that and building up an xs inbred/scandal – wish I’d gone for that option really as it gives the option of running it with 24″ for a couple of years then swapping them for 26″ when he grows into them

globalti
    Free Member

We put our son an an Islabike Bheinn 26″ wheels when he was 9, no problem. The bike has grown with him very well but he’s reached the limit on the seatpost now at 13.

Don’t waste money on heavy cheap suspension forks; they don’t need them at that age. Buy an Islabike, you’ll never lose out.

Here: http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn26.html

Aus
    Free Member

My son got this when he was 9, and did fine with it albeit he looked a tad small on it…this is a year of so later so I’m guessing he’s got comfy with it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘whos 9'ish yr old kids ride xs 26" wheel bikes?’ is closed to new replies.