Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Whoo! Iron Maiden next year
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They finally announced a UK tour and I got my tickets for Sheffield on pre-sale this morning.

Chuffed – they were the first band I saw as a kid back in 1981 and not seen them for years.

Just thought I would share my joy.

bellerophon
    Free Member

git git git , me jealous? never!! – what I’d give to see ’em

keep running free

cb

Still got my Charlotte and the Harlots Blew My Brains Out t-shirt from the pre-Donnington warm up in 1988!

Guessing it would be a bit snug now tho!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I got a tee on the ‘Beast on the Road’ tour in small and I had to cut it down ‘cos it looked like a dress on my tiny frame.

If I put it on now* I would look like someone out of Right Said Fred.

*I do wish I had kept it though.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Final frontier is epic, it’s got it’s critics but I love it, up the irons

TheSwede
    Free Member

Eddy is looking a bit old these days 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah, he should moisturise more 🙂

mudmonster
    Free Member

I still listen to them but never bought anoher record after live after death. I never got to see them.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I never got to see them

Me neither, hence my jealousness – although did see AC/DC at the playhouse, edinburgh – don’t suppose they’ll play a small (compared to stadia) venue like that again….

cb

ACDC played the Hammy Odeon a few years back as part of some 20 odd years celebration for the venue – I have that t-shirt as well! That one fits!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I saw AC/DC back in the day too (For Those About to Rock tour) – Newcastle City Hall I think (although it may have been Sheffield City Hall – I went to loads of gigs at those places as a kid) then saw them again earlier this year too.

I am clearly getting old and trying to relive my youth… 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

not as good as the beatles.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not many bands are and if you are old enough to have seen The Beatles live then you are old and past it anyway – pop a cup of tea on and put your feet up.

😛

BillMC

I’m old and past it and was in the same class at primary and secondary as Steve Harris. What does that say?

MadBillMcMad

awesome – Iron Maiden were the first band I saw in Leeds with Paul Dianno singing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I saw in Leeds with Paul Dianno singing.

Lucky you – something I missed out on (Beast on the Road was the first tour with Brucie)

donks
    Free Member

i got to see them under the alias of the holy smokers in milton keynes nearly 20 years ago, support was wolfsbaine but they failed to show so maiden done an extra long set…result.

jond
    Free Member

>awesome – Iron Maiden were the first band I saw in Leeds with Paul Dianno singing.

I didn’t manage to see ’em on the beginning of the first album tour, but saw ’em when they brought it round again shortly after (and a few times after that).

Must admit I lost interest after about Powerslave, never been much of a fan of Dickenson, I’m afraid..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Must admit I lost interest after about Powerslave, never been much of a fan of Dickenson, I’m afraid..

Completely agree with you on that – Powerslave was the last (half)decent Maiden album and I always preferred Dianno (listening to the older albums, only Maiden and Killers really stand up for me) but the new album is okay and from the sheer amount of good material they now have, it will be a good gig.

I wonder if I could still fit in my denim jacket* that I think my mum still has at her house – it has the band’s autographs all over it from a time we met them before a gig on the Powerslave tour outside Sheffield City Hall.

*I already know the answer to that one

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Final frontier is epic, it’s got it’s critics but I love it, up the irons

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah I really like it too – Where the Wind Blows is great (show closer but before encores for the tour I bet).

The only track I don’t like is Coming Home – a bit naff singing about a plane and reminds me of ‘Princess of the Night’ by Saxon (purely by transportation association). No doubt that was a Bruce-penned track…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

After ‘No Prayer for the Dying’ and before ‘Final Frontier’ are there any albums worth getting by the way (ie on the cheap on Ebay)? (That was when I stopped buying them for being rubbish).

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmm. I’ve been a Maiden fan for years now. Saw them Luce a few years ago at twickenham and rate that as one of the best gigs I’ve ever been too.

Saw them this year at Sonisphere and thought they were gash.

Essentially Bruce announced they were sick of their old stuff and wanted to play songs only from the past ten years.

Whilst I sympathise that they’re proud of their work, past and present. They need to remember that they’re famous because of the early work.

I’ve never seen a more disinterested crowd at a rock gig.

I wouldn’t bother going to see them again.

AC/DC on the other hand are still the greatest live act ever.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

AC/DC on the other hand are still the greatest live act ever.

Hmmm…. Certainly up there but I have also massively enjoyed the original line up GnR, Green Day (before they were a stadia headline act), Queen (possibly unparalleled atmosphere) and James Brown (he made me feel good). Ohh and The Prodigy.

Twisted Sister were brilliant in their heyday, and Motley Crue.

Hell, everyone is great live*

(Ohh and on the Maiden site they are saying it will be a mix of old stuff and the new album).

*Apart from Jamiroquai.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Saw them first at the Red Lion Leytonstone and many times since

Went to school with Mr Harris at good old Leyton County High, so many of the tracks remind me of those days such as going to see where eagles dare at the Leyton ABC

Might make it to one last gig, but very strange seeing old buggers the same age as myself still strutting their stuff when you can remember them as youngsters

There again just bought tickets to see Big Country so probably will go, Maiden do a great version of Stray’s All In Your Mind, would love to hear that again, but highly unlikely I reckon

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So – fan club pre-sale on now, 02 pre-sale on Wednesday, Planet Rock pre-sale on Friday plus god-knows what other pre-sales going on elsewhere and the inevitable promo givaways for radio station competitions etc – will there actually be any tickets left when they go on general sale on Saturday????

DaveGr
    Free Member

WOO HOO, maybe 33 years after I wanted to see them but never did …. some child hood dreams do come true !!!!

In case you missed out buying tickets ‘cos the tour is “Sold Out” …. standing and seated tickets still available at the ticket factory. For standing, when it says “Choose your price zone” select “standing” and away you go ……

yunki
    Free Member

yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.. I saw ’em at the tender age of 13 at wembley arena.. they were flogging a dead horse then… I don’t know what you’d call it now..

I guess all the morbid themes they constantly and predictably and kind of ultimately pointlessly refer to might be more appropriate now that they really are playing to us from beyond a metaphorical musical grave..?

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t know what you’d call it now

Heavy metal? (Nuff said!)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Good on you yunki, you beat me by a year.
    🙄

So what if they are old and obvious ‘eavy metal, it’s a bit of fun and a night out. So anyway – what band would you recommend?

angryratio
    Free Member

seeing them as well.. seen them three times in the past 11 years.
    Bit of fun.. all wonderfully tongue in cheek.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

After ‘No Prayer for the Dying’ and before ‘Final Frontier’ are there any albums worth getting by the way (ie on the cheap on Ebay)? (That was when I stopped buying them for being rubbish).

A Matter of Life and Death is perhaps one of their best albums full stop. It was the first one I bought and it still blows me away. They don’t do short songs on that though (average track length is about 6-7 mins)

I do like Brave New World though, it gets a lot of stick but there are some really good songs on it I think.

yunki
    Free Member

So anyway – what band would you recommend?

shpongle of course..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

seeing them as well.. seen them three times in the past 11 years.
    Bit of fun.. all wonderfully tongue in cheek.

Well yeah definately – but it is all about a bit of fun isn’t it? I saw them countless times as a kid (about 4 times on the Powerslave tour alone) but not seen them in a few years as I got bored with them, but seen AC/DC, Kiss, GnR this year (and seeing Motorhead on Thursday) so just enjoying seeing a few of the bands from my youth at the moment.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve not listened to them since I was 14. I’d STILL go and see them though, had all the tshirts!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So did I – unfortunately I lost them all over time 🙁 I used to save up so I could get the baseball tees at gigs – they cost about £16 even back then (some 25+ years ago).

I do still have my signed copy of Kerrang! though after we met them before a gig in Sheffield 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Eeeee I still remember my weekly trips to Leeds to buy lunch and a new heavy metal tshirt with my latest girlfriend at the time 8)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I was a gig snob – I wouldn’t buy a tee unless it was at a gig (just so I could prove I was there).

I printed my own teeshirt in art class for the first gig – I thought it was the best thing everer!

Ahhhh, those really were the days.

hora
    Free Member

Nerd

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Errr yes. Busted.

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Whoo! Iron Maiden next year’ is closed to new replies.