Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Who would be in the wrong in this scenario…..
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

When I walk into town to get my shopping, I have to cross a main road. It’s in the middle of town, so it’s a 30mph zone, and there’s a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights.

I usually press the button, and instead of walking across when the “green man” is illuminated, I walk across when the traffic light changes to amber: it saves a few seconds and makes the whole trip that bit quicker.

One thing I have noticed is most drivers don’t stop at amber lights. Often I’ll walk into the road and a car that looked like it was going to drive straight on will have to brake quite hard to avoid colliding with me.

If I were to get hit by a car, would I be in the wrong?

Same applies to zebra crossings; as far as I’m aware you can just walk straight across? At least that’s what I usually do. Someone had the audacity to beep their horn at me the other day!

zilog6128

Need more info. What is your annual walking mileage and how many W/kg are you averaging as you cross? Also rate your perambulatory skill level?

bruneep

Think you are trolling but I’ll humour you…

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

I’m sure you knew the answers anyway.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I try to keep walking to a minimum. It’s just another extra strain on the body, and at the level I have trained to and perform at, it can all make a difference.

bearnecessities

perambulatory

I learned me a new word.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Think you are trolling but I’ll humour you…

Heh, nah I’m not trolling; I did actually consider it earlier.

Obviously my OP sounds like a bit of a Nazi, but I wondered waht the STW massive thought.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Is the pedestrian crossing on a conveyor belt?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m sure you knew the answers anyway.

Turns out I should’ve called laddo who beeped at me a ****! Good job I did!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I usually press the button, and instead of walking across when the “green man” is illuminated, I walk across when the traffic light changes to amber: it saves a few seconds and makes the whole trip that bit quicker.

Why not wait for the light to turn red? You could check your emails while waiting.

DezB
    Free Member

If a car hit you, you’d be right, but more sore than the driver.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why not wait for the light to turn red? You could check your emails while waiting.

😀 very good.

zippykona

Around our way it’s red light plus one car before anyone stops.
    Last week the light had just turned red at our local crossroads as i was waiting to cross. A girl eating a bit of toast in her car waved a car across that was waiting to turn right. After that car had gone through she then went through as the safe to cross beeps were going off.

km79
    Free Member

…I wondered what the STW massive thought.

I thought you should probably change your user name as your trolling is far too obvious these days. I liked it better when I didn’t immediately recognise your user name and your posts came over a lot more subtle.

scaredypants

I try to keep walking to a minimum. It’s just another extra strain on the body, and at the level I have trained to and perform at, it can all make a difference.

I did like that bit, though

Greybeard
    Free Member

This is the relevant bit for the first question:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-pedestrians-1-to-35

simondbarnes

I’d run you over, might stop the trolling 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I thought you should probably change your user name as your trolling is far too obvious these days. I liked it better when I didn’t immediately recognise your user name and your posts came over a lot more subtle.

Well I’ve considered it, but I can’t be bothered trolling these days. This was a serious question although I did write it slightly in jest.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Why not wait for the light to turn red? You could check your emails while waiting

But that would preclude anyone other citizen from occupying that exact spot for a couple of seconds – whatever happened to #thebigsociety??

#senseofentitlement
    #me!me!me!me!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member
    I’d run you over, might stop the trolling

😀 oi!

I think for the past two or so years I have not been able to get away with it, and don’t really put much effort in either these days.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

But that would preclude anyone other citizen from occupying that exact spot for a couple of seconds – whatever happened to #thebigsociety??

I wouldn’t worry about them and their ilk, they’re just bloody pathetic. I hope no one is offended by the swearing. 😛

deepreddave
    Free Member

I admire the trust shown by those pedestrians who walk without checking the upcoming car has stopped/is stopping. They clearly rate driving skills of the average UK driver higher than I do!

antigee

davidtaylforth – Member

…… and don’t really put much effort in either these days.

correct all in all poor show

perchypanther
    Free Member

Simply record your walk using Strava.

You will then automatically have right of way over all traffic, both pedestrian and vehicular. You may also ignore all road markings and traffic signals.

Small children in prams find it particularly amusing when you bellow “SSSTTTRRRRAAAAAVAAAAAA!” into their faces before barging the pram into a jaggy shrub to stop it impeding your progress.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Who would be in the wrong in this scenario…..’ is closed to new replies.