• This topic has 112 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Who wants to help me choose the N+1?
  • dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I didn’t look at the weight of the Saxon Cross to be honest. What would you expect the weight to be at that kind of price? What are you comparing it with?

DezB
    Free Member

Seems pretty light to me. Lighter than the Tripster build here (pdf file)

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Oooooo that is a good deal. My size too.

Having said that, I much prefer the 2015 models internal cable routing and 1×11 gearing.

But the 2014 model is reduced by £800…….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why do folk like internal routing?

It sucks the boaby in every way.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Looks better. Simple as that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not just looks bettteeererrr, but keeps all the stuff inside out of the way of the mud n crud. Ok, some bikes have BB exit points but on the whole I think its much better. Also, if yo carry your bike a lot, it saves your arms getting sliced.

DezB, chosen one yet ?

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Interestingly, a couple of shop sites are showing the 2016 Whyte Saxon Cross (although not in stock), even though it’s not actually on the Whyte web site yet.

http://www.rockandroadbikes.com/whyte-saxon-cross-team-2016/p809

Seems to be £1999 which is £400 cheaper than the 2015 model. May be due to using own brand fork and hubs instead of Easton. Looks nice though. They’ve gone for the wedge type seat post clamp which is nice and seem to have removed the cable stop for the front mech which is neater. Looks nice.

DezB
    Free Member

DezB, chosen one yet ?

Honestly, no! I’m completely stuck. Still can’t decide Ti or carbon. Full build or pre-built.
    Nice decision to have but it’s driving me a bit crazy!
    Friday, going to make a trip to my local Kinesis dealer, see when he can get Tripsters in (late Aug, I believe).
    Considering a visit to the Enigma folk too.
    But then there’s the Stigmata… wibble

ps. the Whyte: Oooooo that is a good deal. My size too.
    I saw a 2015 for the same price! Can’t remember where though. Will post up when I find it.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

It may be the standard, non “team”, Saxon Cross that you saw. It looks almost the same but retail is about £1500.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, you’re right – still decent spec for the dosh – Winstanleys

mrblobby
    Free Member

How about a Hakkalugi disc?

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, looked at that – hen’s teeth!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm how about a Pivot…

DezB
    Free Member

Decision made! Popped into the LBS, happens to be a Kinesis dealer… Little one man shop that’s been going for years.. He sold me some road bike forks once for £12! While I was there a bloke came in to get his rear mech looked at, despite the ‘ no repairs today’ sign, the bloke fixed his rear mech on the spot and charged his min workshop charge : 1 pound.
    Gave me a right warm fuzzy feeling to order from him and he was chuffed with the business. Showed me his Gran Fondo Ti he’d just bought himself too.
    Just gotta wait until August 21st…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tripster then? Or were you swayed by the GF Ti?

DezB
    Free Member

I was swayed by reading more of the Tripster thread. And by needing to make a decision!
    He only showed my his GF frame after I told him what I was wanting to order.
    Apparently the GF was a special purchase to him that he spent much time mulling over 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Pivot do a CX bike ?? argh!! 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’d have had a right old look at the Trek Boone 9 Disc…

pictonroad

Brilliant decision made in a splendid way.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks pictonroad 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Possibly one of the most amazing frames I’ve ever ridden. Supple but stiff under power. The Save stays really do work. It just tanks along. I test rode a TCX advanced but much preferred the feel of the Dale.

Blown away with this bike. The Force CX1 group has also been superb.

DezB
    Free Member

The ‘Dale was in my list right til the end…. just fancied Ti over carbon at the end of the day.

DezB
    Free Member

Looking like a bike… taking me a while to build due to dog sitting this week. Stem might be too long, apart from that everything is perfect 🙂 So incredibly light.

curto80
    Free Member

Dura-ace on a Trippy? Don’t see that too often.

Looks great. You’ll not have a single second of regret.

DezB
    Free Member

cool 🙂 The DuraAce was off the classifieds – couldn’t resist. Fella had removed it from a brand new bike.

Andy

Good call on the Tripster Dez. Not done many miles on mine, but delighted with it

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers Andy, didn’t know you had one!
    It’s all gone well so far – the LBS I bought it from even discounted the price without me asking! He’s really keen to see it built up too. (as am I 🙂 )

Andy

Yeah there is a pic very early on in “that thread”. I’m pleased with mine. Can’t see me needing anything more for Tarmac, Gnarmac and if I ever do any touring, needs. Which given how often I change bikes, is an odd place to be.

My build no where as bling as yours though. I’m slumming it on 105 😆

teasel
    Free Member

I notice you mention its weight (or lack thereof) on the last page. On my last build I remember thinking “This is gonna be so ****ing light…” at a similar stage only to be shocked at how much pedals and a chain add to the final heft.

Nice bike with some nice kit hanging off it.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, yes… pedals and chain.. I’ll get those on tonight. Maybe I’ll buy some lighter pedals 🙂
    I’ve previously noticed BBs adding weight to a frame, but the Ultergra one is feathery.
    Waiting for Mavics Allroad tubeless wheels to come out for the offroad set. It is a bit tarty, but I thought sod it, never had the cash to do that before!

teasel
    Free Member

If you’re not slapping on road pedals and want something light take a gander at the A600s if you haven’t already done so.

Single-sided but that doesn’t bother me.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, thanks for that – not much to them is there!

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Who wants to help me choose the N+1?’ is closed to new replies.