• This topic has 112 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Who wants to help me choose the N+1?
  • DezB
    Free Member

Need (helpful) suggestions…

i think I “need” a disc brake crosser/commuter/roadbike/gnarmaccer

Want something light, fast and comfortable… my ideas at the moment are a Tripster or a Super-X, or for silly money a Santa Cruz Stigmata (but probably not, cos they are silly money and prob no better than a Super-X really)

Comments? suggestions? mockery?

northernmatt

Forum default suggestions of a Tripster ATR/Arkose should do you right.

DezB
    Free Member

The Tripster is a gorgeous thing. I think I need to have a close look at that thread about em.
    But do I want carbon?

JoeG
    Free Member

You need a fatbike! 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cannondale list the SuperX at 1.5kg, f&f, the Tripster frame probably weighs more.

That’s what I’d have, I am a Cannondale fanboi tho,I’ve owned 3 road bikes and am considering a CAADX.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The SuperX is a flipping cool looking bike. Probably not as “pretty” as a tripster (though if you look in the gravel bike thread it looks like it is very easy to build an ugly one) but I suspect better if you want to get a wiggle on.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks for throwing that in Al. I got a CAAD-x on the Cyclescheme a few years ago, and love it. Apart from the brakes – it was the year before they all went disc. Perfect fit and a nice ride, but nasty cheap wheels. So that’s why the Super-x is up there.
    Folk are gushing about the Tripster on that thread…

northernmatt

If it were me I’d go for a Tripster but I’ve always wanted a Ti bike.

How about a Shand Stoater?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I imagine many gushing about it have spent ££££ on one…or like the price tag and aspirational aspect of ti.

I’ve fallen out of love with ti I have to say, and even steel – alu and carbon for me (mostly, still like my Shand, and 80s 531 road singlespeed).

yossarian
    Free Member

Salsa Warbird? Or perhaps a Cutthroat?

DezB
    Free Member

ooh! damn pricey though!

Bregante

That Niner RLT in the classifieds is bloody lovely. My size too (don’t know about you) but the Mrs would kill me.

Daffy

Niner BSB or RLT if you’re needing to run guards and racks. I’m a few thousand miles into mine:

ferrals
    Free Member

Love the look of the bsb, especially the new lime green colouring

PeteG55
    Free Member

2016 Genesis Croix der fer Ti?

tang
    Free Member

Got a kinesis pro6 f&f with Spesh pave post and a stem in 57 for sale soon. Great all rounder.

DezB
    Free Member

Cheers guys, this will be a new purchase. Niner looks rather tasty.

[edit]£1300 for that black one, wow… too big though!

wiggles
    Free Member

Carbon Diverge?

DezB
    Free Member

(Cheeky bump)

Some fab ideas here, thanks all.
    Edging towards the Tripster (normal BB!) but I do want hydro discs…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tripster or a Super-X,

Curious pair. Want a bit of a do it all bike then Tripster. Want to go CX racing then Super X.

crosser/commuter/roadbike/gnarmaccer

Sounds like you want the Tripster.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve been pondering the same, and stumbled across this, depends if you want guard mounts or not, but it’s £750 less than the equivalent spec TCX and looks bad-ass.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Felt-F3X-2015-Cyclocross-Bike_74232.htm

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

so good I posted twice

DezB
    Free Member

Want to go CX racing then Super X

Not really. I have a CX bike now and they’re good for EVERYTHING, not just CX racing 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not really. I have a CX bike now and they’re good for EVERYTHING, not just CX racing

Thing is CX is now a very board brush and covers a whole gamut of bikes. Much like “road bikes” gets applied to everything from tourers to race bikes.

CX bikes are ok at lots of things I guess, but a CX race bike will be very good at CX racing and compromised in some way for most other applications. This may or may not bother you 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

In typical STW way “mine is the way to go” look at the GT grade range massive value for money. You can even play on mine before buying 😉
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=gt+grade

cynic-al
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member

…but a CX race bike will be very good at CX racing

If this means a lack of braze ons or slightly different geometry, I fail to see how that’s a benefit in cx racing.

DezB
    Free Member

This may or may not bother you
    Not in the slightest. It’s a bicycle 🙂

Thanks Rich! I think I’m not bothering about value 😀

iainc

the Shimano Hydraulic brakes are quite excellent, worth trying to get something with them on, or as an upgrade

mrblobby
    Free Member

If this means a lack of braze ons or slightly different geometry, I fail to see how that’s a benefit in cx racing.

Good point Al. I’m surprised manufacturers bother tweaking geometry and producing different bikes for different applications.

pictonroad

After riding my Arkose with shimano hydraulics on Tuesday I’m blown away by it, and them. I’d not consider anything else brakes wise. Ian’s Tripster is lovely and I’d have one in a shot if I could afford it.

Do you want classic looks or shouty carbon? Norco Search is my favourite shouty one.

DezB
    Free Member

Do you want classic looks or shouty carbon?

Yes 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yeah MrBlobby, a cx race bike is so much faster for having fewer braze ons. A degree on the head angle will easily get you a few places.

DezB
    Free Member

the Shimano Hydraulic brakes are quite excellent, worth trying to get something with them on, or as an upgrade

Interesting – most have Sram Rival. Anyone have any experience of these?

Pickers

I had to have a look at the ti Cross de Fer that Peter mentioned above.
    I then found the Datum, and I really want one of those now. Start saving…

DezB
    Free Member

The Datum huh?

😛

mrblobby
    Free Member

Oh sod it, I’ll play.

I’d be checking out the new Scott…

I really like the Crux too, much fun to ride…

… but the builds are a bit rubbish. I’d wait for the 2016 ones with proper hydro discs.

Storck TIX if you want something a bit different…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me Play Too..

How much have you got to spend?

If it really is a “do it all” type (since you have a CX’er) then I’d say go the Tripster route too or something from Shand. If it’s more a CX/Gravel hard hack bike then the alloy TCX would fit the bill and come in at £1800. They come with guard clips and such so can be utilised for all sorts duties too and hey, look pretty.

Can’t really see the point in spending loads on a proper CX’er if thats not really your thing, clearly you can (like me) and use it for other duties like long distance CX sportives and NCN blasts, mine does all that and long distance over night routes I put the Apidura seat bag and bar bag on for that, change tyres too.

But..

But….

What exactly do you want it for??

benp1

I’d have a Stigmata or a Tripster if funds allowed

Seeing as they didn’t, and it would be used for commuting, local errands and use with the kids, the forum default Arkose was my next option. Mine’s an Arkose 2

DezB
    Free Member

How much have you got to spend?

As much as I can justify to myself.. 😆
    (Which discounts the one I really want – top of the range Stigmata!)

What exactly do you want it for??
    Get rid of the current CX bike and the road bike and use it in place of them. I suppose it will mostly be used for 30+ mile-a-day commute, but swap the wheels and go gnarmac/adventuring.

pictonroad

tripster & set of spare set of wheels it is then. Shimano 105 hydraulic groupset build.

Just succumb already, stop playing hard to get.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Who wants to help me choose the N+1?’ is closed to new replies.