• This topic has 59 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Who uses a van for both family and biking?
  • akira

Looking at maybe getting a van to replace the s max as its getting harder to squeeze everything in as the kids get older. Who has done something similair and how do you find it?

vmgscot

Me – been running a Vauxhall Vivaro Doublecab Sportive as only vehicle now for past 8 years (bought new). Drives superb and comfy on long runs (although I only ever had landrovers before so no real idea of what ‘comfort’ was).

Thought parking might be an issue in general use but not had problems – most modern multistories cater for 4×4’s and van fits the same.

I specced van with single passenger seat upfront which is much comfier as ‘normal’ van seating upfront is the 1.5 passenger bench. Looking at probably trading for a new one later this year.

eskay

I am in the same boat, incredibly I have outgrown the Mondeo estate! With 3 of us racing in the household I think it is time to upscale. Last weekend was the final straw!

Would love a t5 but think anything decent will be high mileage (budget of around 10k).

Size of the van isn’t an issue, most are narrower than the Mondeo and the lwb models are around 40cm longer.

There is a nice looking trafic sport crew cab near me that would fit the bill, 2011 and 70k on the clock, one owner FSH etc. Anyone have any experience of them?

Simon

Currently have a VW T4 Kombi (and before that a Bongo) that I use for biking, family trips/holidays and commuting.
    Unlikely to go back to a car.

botk
    Free Member

caddy maxi life

with two seats up in the back i can get two 650b bikes in easily and still have enough room for dog, suitcases, bags and even another bike with front wheel off.

i slot the two bike in to the gap left by the single seat folded up.

also classes as a car which is handy for insurance etc

cloudnine
    Free Member

Stw issue T5 kombi … End of thread.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I have had vans for years since racing DH and sleeping in them.
    With the more recent addition of a wee man, I’ve moved to a T5 Kombi and it’s perfect. Twin seats in front, he goes in the middle back and loves the view out on journeys and we load the back with bikes, camping kit, whatever. With all seats in I can get 5 bikes in for mates rides (29ers, full sus etc, just front wheels off, or 3 fully built). The seats then click out and I can sleep in it. We spend days at the BMX track just living out the back of it.

It’s ideal for me, I love it. The Mrs has a very nice car we can use if we want to, but I prefer to drive the van and we often take it away just ’cause it’s so easy to pack and relaxing to drive.

I do have offroad parking at home and a good space at work and the sites I visit, but find it easier to parallel park due to wheel at each corner and big mirrors.

mildbore

I used to use a vw transporter camper as my main vehicle once the kids left home but that was written off 4 years ago by a pregnant woman who had a dizzy turn while driving. Since then I have used a transit van which I intended to convert to a camper but only got as far as putting windows in and boarding it out as we realised we only use it as a camper for a few weeks per year and we could do with the flexibility of using it for bike lifestyle, wood collecting for the wood burner, moving stuff for family and friends and still camp by slinging a mattress in the back and putting an awning on the side. Works v well, we wouldn’t go back to a car now. Only down side is limited seating, not a big issue for us cos of our empty nest

johnnystorm

5 seat T5 kombi, best thing ever for carting family and stuff about. Wouldn’t go back now.

dknwhy

I’m in a similar boat myself. Was thinking of a camper and then a high roof, long wheelbase van but as I want something to drive daily, I’m pretty settled on a Ford Tourneo Custom. More refined than a van and the ability to remove seats as and when needed.

akira

Tourneo custom looks like an option, that or a transporter i guess. List of requirements will need to be weighed up versus the cost. Not cheap are they.

dknwhy

No but I did find this cracker of a lease deal. Spoke to the lease company and all seemed good but it would be an August delivery which is too late for me (although I’m contemplating hanging onto the car for another year and waiting for the 2017 model).

Lease link here

porter_jamie

Did have a lwb t4 with extra row of seats. The concept was sound and we went everywhere in it. Had it for years. Just replaced with a viano and I cannot tell you how much better the merc is in every way. I don’t understand how people without a bus or van actually manage. And we don’t have kids. If you have a brood then doubly so. I don’t think I could ever not have a van or bus, they are just so useful.

antares
    Free Member

Got a transit custom double cab, love it, drives really well for a van. As said above I don’t think I’ll ever have a car again.

st

Standard issue T5 here.

Bought it a couple of years ago as I was no longer driving to work and it’s been great.

My Wife who was fairly negative about it to begin with is now all for it (although she does have her own car to use too).

It’s great to have something we can shove bikes and dogs into even just for our shorts trips to the local woods.

If you have the time and inclination you can then put a bit of effort into modifying it to suit your needs. By this I mean sound deadening and carpet lining rather than pimping up with loads of chrome stick on bits.

I now work away from home a do a weekly 250 mile round trip and whilst it’s no fast racer it’ll cruise at the motorway speed limit happily.

Because of my (initial) low mileage I kept the cost down by going for a 2007 with 170k miles and so far it’s going well.

I wouldn’t discount the older hight mileage T5s out of hand.

there seem to be lots of great alternatives around now but for older ones I think the T5 is one of the better options if you want a car replacement.

zero-cool
    Free Member

No kids, but I run my van as the only vehicle in the house and have done for about 10-15 years. Currently have an old Vivaro that was ‘well used’ before I bought it. Still going strong. Low enough to fit in most multi-story car parks

porter_jamie

Put it this way. I have the bus, my brother runs a Vito, my mtbing mate has a transit, my other mtb friends have a camper, my mate round the corner has a camper and my dh racing mate desperately wants a connect. Other mate at work has a Vito dualiner. If you are a 2 car family then it’s a no brainer. Also, from talking to my mates, generally speaking,the wives were not keen with the idea of a van to start with. But after they had one for a while the wives were probably at least as enthusiastic as the chaps. I don’t know anyone who got a van and regretted it.

alpin
    Free Member

i use a van for me and biking.

johnnystorm

Also, from talking to my mates, generally speaking,the wives were not keen with the idea of a van to start with. But after they had one for a while the wives were probably at least as enthusiastic as the chaps.

Ha,same here! First family holiday with the van and no need to worry about what you take with you… 😆

akira

Be useful for mayhem, huge tent caused me issues last year.

chakaping
    Free Member

Vivaro SWB crew cab here and we always use it for holidays and family visits.

Personally I like having the three seats in the front, as there are often six of us heading on a day out if the kids are bringing friends or MiL is coming.

It’s comfy, pleasant to drive, economical enough and nicely anonymous. Brilliant for keeping your bikes out of sight while you’re away.

Clong
    Free Member

Vivaro double cab swb here too. Used for family and biking. I found when I had a car there was always a bike in it as that was it’s primary use. Got a van and it’s been hugely practical for us. Active family with two kids and a big dog. The inside can be swept out or mopped, upholstery is crisp/chocolate/wet dog proof. We’ve driven down to the south of France, fully loaded, returned about 45mpg. Easier to park than I thought. Mrs has a car, but we go most places in the van as it’s easier. If we had to go down to one vehicle, we’d keep the van.

shadowfax

That’s a steal. Having driven one I can confirm they are very comfy indeed.

I have a Peugeot Partner at the moment – three seats in the front and removeable bulkhead. Fits a 650 and 29er without removing even a single wheel. Outstanding economy and drives like a car.

I know you said kids plural (there’s only three of us) but in terms running one as the family mule I say go for it, so much less hassle than faffing around with an estate car.

schmiken

I use a SWB crew cab Vivaro as my daily driver. Love it.

Phil_H

Huge doesn’t really describe that tent adequately 😀

And yes get a kombi/crew cab van. Much less faff carrying biking kit.

allfankledup

Kids won’t go in the merc e class estate given the choice…. T5 is preferred choice by far

I like being able to put a road bike across the van, between the front seats and the kombi seats in the back

weeksy

dknwhy – Member

No but I did find this cracker of a lease deal. Spoke to the lease company and all seemed good but it would be an August delivery which is too late for me (although I’m contemplating hanging onto the car for another year and waiting for the 2017 model).

Lease link here

Great link, thanks lots.

eskay

monkeysfeet – Member

Hyundai i800. Great vehicle and under 10k
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/hyundai/i800/used-hyundai-i800-2-5-crdi-style-5dr-inverness-fpa-201604092787538?logcode=p

Do you have one of these?

They have caught my eye several times but one of features I am after is being able to get three bikes in without taking any wheels out.

If you took the rear row of seats out would you be able to do that?

matt_outandabout

Friends have an i800. Great bus for the money, more Transit Custom size than T5.
    Thirsty apparently. Seats big n heavy to remove.
    Thiers is 59 I think, 100k and not missed a beat bar usual wear items.

stuker
    Free Member

ford transit custom LWB…6 seater to fit all of us in. Easily get all 6 bikes in the back plus loads of room left over for the rest of our stuff. I recently got rid of both a car and motorbike and replaced with the van. Very happy!

mikekay
    Free Member

Transit Custom Limited DCIV (Doublecab) great van, lot cheaper than a mortgage inducing VW

benp1

Has anyone bought something like a Caravelle, for the adjustable and movable seats, and potentially higher spec interior, and then taken the extra seats out to make it more like a kombi?

gazc
    Free Member

i’ve got a lwb vauxhall vivaro minibus. massive inside way bigger than a T5 bandwagon. taken rear seats out and putting a crash tested r&r bed in the back from JDS metaltech, its already fully glazed/carpeted/insulated/lit. will do a sink/gas cooker and storage when i get round to it. converted a van before so it’s all in hand. building a boot in the rear for the bike to go in side on with wheels off, but can always add a rack (hence the lwb – for the extra 500mm). when i save enough cash and have a mrs in tow i’ll put a pop top on it, for me on my own with my daughter it’s perfect, she loves sitting in the front looking out the window, and can seat 3 in the front fine. will be taking it round wales, scotland, the lakes, and hopefully spain next winter. no way would i go back to a car no good for anything than just driving about in

chakaping
    Free Member

I love how some people sneer at the idea of having a van instead of a car, but we know the score eh?

alpin
    Free Member

i got a Caravelle wiith loads of schnick-schnak (leather seats, air con, cruise, interior panels with blinds, etc), but with fixed seats like a Kombi… i guess in reality it is just a high-end Kombi with a Caravelle badge.

bazzer
    Free Member

Had a 2013 Trafic Sport from new and loved it. Now running a 2015 new model 140 Trafic sport and love that too.

I use it daily no problems at all.

eskay

bazzer – Member

Had a 2013 Trafic Sport from new and loved it. Now running a 2015 new model 140 Trafic sport and love that too.

I use it daily no problems at all.

I have seen a couple of reports that say wind noise is load in the Trafic, how do you find it?

moonboy
    Free Member

6 months into the standard issue T5 kombi here.

Mine’s a 2009 with the old 1,9 lump. Makes it a little unrefined and short geared (only 5 speeder) but I took that same engibe to 174k in an old Passat so I know it’s fairly reliable (touch wood etc).

Love it. Sold my car. Mrs Moon has an Up! so we do have a car for scooting about to. Mrs Moon loves driving the van.

We’ve got a 5 seat setup at the moment with the back carpeted & insulated. Have a second hand exploria bed frame that can go in for weekends away.

So far, so good.

Oh, replacing the door speakers is a PITA of a job. Rivets, bloody rivets.

bodgy
    Free Member

VW T32, Kombi, short wheelbase. 5 seater.

Great van, enough room for 5 and bikes in the boot (Front wheels removed) with rear seats in, enough room for 2 and MASSES of stuff with rear seats removed. Long enough to sleep in on odd occasions with rear seats removed. Slightly expensive parts and spares.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Who uses a van for both family and biking?’ is closed to new replies.