Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Who should say hello?
  • adsh
    Free Member

Out on my looong mtb loop today I was overtaken by a roady on a road section who never said a word. Being tired and pissed off by the number of un thanking horse riders and and silent mtb riders I, too my shame didn’t say hello either. I sort of thought it was the over taker who said hello?

On a similar subject I can’t get over how sodding miserable many cyclists are!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I have been riding my croix de fer about in the peaks and after years of riding a mtb and being ignored by most roadies they now say hello.

Tbh a bit too much really – didnt know how much I enjoyed the peace, although sometimes it bugged me as we are all cyclists after all.

Weirdly they also say hi when I ride my mtb in a vest I have which is a bit floaty and see through, it may work for you too – lovely pink chiffon type fabric I bet it would suit you 😉

discoduck
    Free Member

I always say hello, then shout Miserable bastard really loud if they refuse to converse, 99% of riders do actually pass the time of day, only the fat ones in SKY kit dont, at the end of the day its about riding bikes not trying to make enemies, there’s been a lot of angst over the decades between fat & thin wheels,

I’ve offered a roadie a pedal on a proper bike once when he passed and said all those gears and you can’t keep up !
    We swapped bikes for a few miles and I loved his sleek skinny wheels, strangely enough he hated my full susser ?

Strange fellow ?

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Always always say hello, its just manners.

Momma taught me well

pembo6
    Free Member

I can’t believe how many MTBers don’t say hello on the track. Even a smile and a nob would be nice.

Only new to the sport and been out a out 4 times. Only had 2 out of about 50 riders say hello back. One actually asked me if I was ok (I was doing a trackside repair).

One of the last riders I said hello to (as I rode past) almost looked pi$$ed off that I even spoke to him!

I don’t get it??

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Apparently manners slow you down on the road, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Steam gives way to sail.

nickdavies

I can’t believe how many MTBers don’t say hello on the track. Even a smile and a nob would be nice.

Well I know Cannock is famed for its dogging, but asking for a smile and a nob on a trail is a bit forward, surely?

bigblackshed

adjustablewench

Weirdly they also say hi when I ride my mtb in a vest I have which is a bit floaty and see through

Now, I’m not going to make any judgements about what’s under your floaty, see through vest, but my guess is that it’s because it’s see through. And you’re a girl.

As Sherlock would say “that’s a one pipe mystery, Watson”

😉

pembo6
    Free Member

damn! I meant “smile and a NOD” !!!

not interested in any nobs.

psling
    Free Member

Any other riders I see I stop them for a chat, suggest a coffee and invite them to be my FB friend then maybe invite them on holiday with me if we’re really getting on. Draw the line at a nob though…

rOcKeTdOg

Lol @psling

Anyway, why is anyone obliged to speak to you, as the phrase goes..

” just because we both ride bicycles doesn’t mean I have to like you”

The only time I’ll definately speak is if the other party looks in trouble with a mechanical, otherwise I’m enjoying my ride thanks.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

@bigblackshed – a substantial sports bra! But yes the floaty vest does make me look more girly than usual.

loddrik
    Free Member

Never say hello, it’s absolute nonsense. Are we supposed to say hello to every pedestrian when we are walking or every motorist when we drive anywhere.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

So you’ll chat to strangers on a forum who share a common interest in bikes – but won’t consider saying hello to cyclists in the real world . . .

rOcKeTdOg

I’m not on a bike when surfing the forum

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I always like to say hi when seeing another cyclists except when there not wearing a helmet as their to stupid to acknowledge.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered what is under a girls vest.

As far as saying hello goes I’ll usually nod to other cyclists but I don’t expect them all to nod back, they’re not my mates and probably just not as friendly. That’s fine.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

‘They’re too stupid’ would look less ironic in that sentance 🙂

Edit: sorry I appear to have come over all STW, criticising grammar . . . I’ll be debating wheel sizes next.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Oh the grammar police are out 🙄

bigblackshed

adjustablewench

In the spirit of The Mary Whitehouse Experience:

“STW, that’s you that is”

flippinheckler
    Oh the grammar police are out

The only place for poor grammar and, dare I say it, punctuation, is in a rant. Along with random capitalisation and swearing. Standards dear boy, standards.

rOcKeTdOg

adjustablewench – Member

‘They’re too stupid’ would look less ironic in that sentance

ooh the ironing

steve_b77
    Free Member

I was out with my mate the other week, me in my CXbike and him on his FS bike, on a linking bit of blacktop we came across a guy on a road bike, he nodded & raised a hand to me and completly blanked my mate!!

I try to say ‘ello to everyone when I’m riding, but aren’t too bothered if I don’t get one back

psling
    Free Member

Edit: sorry I appear to have come over all STW, criticising grammar

Given the irony of the particlar case above I think you are permitted in this instance 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

…you let someone overtake you?

GrahamS

Never say hello, it’s absolute nonsense. Are we supposed to say hello to every pedestrian when we are walking

Erm.. yeah? I generally say “Hello”, “Morning” or whatever to folk when I’m out walking too.

Civilised ain’t it?

fathomer

I nod and smile usually, no smile if grinding uphill, if they don’t acknowledge it’s no skin off my back!

jekkyl

When I see a family of cyclists and Daddy’s not wearing a helmet I like to rap my knuckles on mine and give Daddy a ‘uggghhh’ as I pass, hypocritical jerk.

colournoise

Nod an acknowledgement to all cyclists I encounter (only get a response from about 50% though I guess), but really only talk to them if they’re trying to fix something on the trail/road side to check they’re OK.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Apparently manners slow you down on the road, as far as I can tell

Surprises me how few MTB ers notice the roadie nod/finger waggle

Say hello to everyone if they dont respond I dont get upset about it it just means I am friendlier than they are

As for the situation as they have definitely seen you

Junkyard
    Free Member

Apparently manners slow you down on the road, as far as I can tell

Surprises me how few MTB ers notice the roadie nod/finger waggle

Say hello to everyone if they dont respond I dont get upset about it it just means I am friendlier than they are

As for the situation as they have definitely seen you

stufive
    Free Member

I always say hello whatever bike im on and if i dont get a reply i like to just say cheer up it might never happen, or im sorry i cant stand around talking to you all day, or its no wonder you ride on your own

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I left school at 15 without any qualifications that includes Englush! 😀

rOcKeTdOg

I always say hello whatever bike im on and if i dont get a reply i like to just say cheer up it might never happen, or im sorry i cant stand around talking to you all day, or its no wonder you ride on your own

you must ride very slowly to get all that in!

maxtorque

At the speed i cycle, the doppler shift makes me sound funny, so i never so hello to anyone………………. 😉

fasgadh
    Free Member

On the red route at Dalbeattie last week – quite a social gathering when catching/ caught up by other riders. Most pleasant and added much to the day. Especially a mutual gibber at the sight of The Slab. (no I did not 🙂 )

I am also a tourist, and always like to meet and compare notes with heavilly laden cyclists met on the road.

njee20
    Free Member

I always say hello, but if folk don’t respond I couldn’t give a shit, they’re fully entitled not to, either because they’re enjoying their ride, they’re deaf mute, or they’re a tosser. It’s a little sad that folk actually feel the need to come and moan about it on here!

I was chatting to a couple of guy at Leith Hill yesterday, who after ascertaining the carbon FS was mine, noted I was doing an MTB ride and taken some advice on the pressure he should run his newly tublessised tyres asked “so are you a roadie?”, must admit I didn’t quite know how to respond 😕

passtherizla
    Free Member

I say hello to most people unless I’m having trouble breathing or gurning my way up a climb… as others have said it’s just friendly… i do it whilst walking too, not on the high street really but if in the middle of nowhere hiking and you see someone else i say hello.

Also when climbing and mountaineering in general people are much friendlier don’t think I’ve ever come across a group of fellow climbers that haven’t said hello… even when they speak different languages.

kinda666
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Never say hello, it’s absolute nonsense. Are we supposed to say hello to every pedestrian when we are walking

Erm.. yeah? I generally say “Hello”, “Morning” or whatever to folk when I’m out walking too.

Civilised ain’t it?

Yup me too..

GrahamS

Good to see the helmet trolls out in force on this thread. 🙄

Was one helmet debate not enough this month?

loddrik
    Free Member

Right, the next cyclist who says ‘hello’ to me is going to get his face smashed in the the first bicycle related item I can pull out of my back pack. I just hope is isnt a small Allen key or an energy gel as I’ll have quite a job on my hands…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Who should say hello?’ is closed to new replies.