Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Who plays a musical instrument?
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Flamenco Guitar here..

Been doing it for best part of 20yrs on and off..

_tom_
    Free Member

Guitar, bass and a bit of drums. I occasionally mess around trying to make electronic music as well, but I find it much harder then traditional instruments. Anyone who says “electronic music is just pressing buttons innit” probably hasn’t given it a go and tried to create something that actually sounds good rather than generic (which isn’t quite as hard).

Isn’t every guitarist self-taught? Who has guitar lessons other than middle class wannabe kids who get bored after a few months?

I had lessons and they helped a lot. Harder to learn to play it properly when you don’t know what mistakes you’re making. And I found it better to learn from another person, though I learnt all the chords and basic scales from the internet and song books. Haven’t had any lessons for at least 6 years though.

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

I’ve been learning the mandolin for about 7 years now, have been really enjoying it, mostly play classical stuff. I’ve decided to actually take a grade exam (hoping to go directly to Grade 4).

I really wish I’d taken it up when I was younger, am trying to encourage my two boys to be interested in playing music

RoterStern
    Free Member

After playing the cornet, then trumpet and later the clarinet I decided to take up the guitar and taught myself. These days I mainly play guitar and drums. Used to do it professionally but these days I just play in bands just for fun and the need to hurt my ears!

molgrips
    Free Member

And I found it better to learn from another person, though I learnt all the chords and basic scales from the internet and song books

Ok, I admit advanced lessons are a good thing, I could do with some of those myself 🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

So Kewl reading all the responses.

Shirley!!! We should do an STW orchestra thing!!!!

SB

bedmaker

Bagpipes here. Will be in action on Saturday leading all the pufferer’s to their doom 🙂

grahamb
    Free Member

I played Tuba & E? bass at school, the latter in a youth brass band. I hated it. The only good thing i could say was it taught me basic understanding of music notation.

I was always an electronic music fan & worked with electronics so ended up building & buying quite a roomful of synths, drum machines, effects, & a portastudio from 1980 onwards. I never really learned to play the keyboard as such, but could program drum machines & sequencers live, work a multi-track tape etc. Dropped it in the early 90’s due to complaints from my partner at the time, just as the electronic music scene really kicked off, & sold off all my gear, something i’ve really regretted ever since 🙁

Picked it back up a couple of years ago, but now do everything on the PC in Ableton. Loving it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Fat fingered nylon guitarist here! Play purely for personal enjoyment mind. Been playing off and on since i was about 14(coming up to 20 years now!).

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7r8W4Qsoas[/video]

Although I do have it in mind to start building up a collection of obscure musical instruments! Think I’ll start of by nicking my brothers mandolin, I can get a tune out of that. I can get a basic tune out of a tin whistle too. But I’d like to have a good collection in a few years time things like a oud or a sitar or some of the traditional instruments you from the likes of china and japan.

emsz
    Free Member

Who has guitar lessons other than middle class wannabe kids who get bored after a few months?

er me?

Stuck my hand up middle of primary school for lessons, got my guitar (same one I use now! electric-blue parlour Yamaha :mrgreen: ) and was taught more or less till I left school by the same teacher mostly as well.

Karinofnine

Some really talented folk, and some interesting instruments too – hurdy gurdy? how cool is that? and Guns ‘n’ Roses on electric ukelele, bongos and recorder – outstanding.

Loved the guitar clips, amazing.

Singletrackworchestra ? The conductor could use a spoke as a baton.

What tyres for … ?

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Remember this 2009 classic?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRfJrklIRG0[/video]

Sax
    Classical Guitar (But I’m branching out)
    Ukelele
    I’ll try anything once…

Karinofnine

Awesome, and the end bit reminded me of Emerson Lake & Palmer 🙂 brilliant

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh btw I also have grade 5 ish french horn, grade 2 violin, I can get a tune from assorted other brass instruments, a recorder and a saxophone.

supertramp
    Free Member

I used to play classical guitar and still have one on a stand in the corner of my office but don’t play very often – or very well. The recorder sounds cool, if nothing else a robust and easy to transport instrument 😀

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Yup, guitar(electric and spanish), piano, mandolin, banjo, banjolele, harmonica, lap steel and washboard and sadly have at least two of each 🙁

“Who has guitar lessons other than middle class wannabe kids who get bored after a few months?”

Er, most of the pro and session players I know or employ occasionally, people who want to be technically more proficient,wish to know more than ten chords and how they relate to each other and have broader knowledge of the fretboard as opposed to most of the hacks that play in pub bands?

I could be wrong, but I’m not 🙂

oh yeah and the recorder and it’s interchangeable relative, the tin whistle are both pretty brilliant.

tazzymtb

something a bit different for you karinofnine

A gemshorn

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RENsuG4yA1k&feature=related[/video]

chipps

Electric guitar (and occasional) bass.
    A little like bikes, I seem to take far more pleasure out of buying them and maintaining them than actually using them to their full potentials 🙂

Playing live tomorrow though!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Who plays a musical instrument?’ is closed to new replies.